PDA

View Full Version : Older Car Less Km's VS Newer Car More Km's

RNB11
11-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Looking to know what your input is on this, the pros and cons.

Is it better to get an older car such as a 90-94 with with 150,000km's and a newer 1998 - 2002 with 250,000 or over km's on it in the same price range?

Graham_A_M
11-25-2010, 10:58 AM
It comes down to how well it was maintained during its life.
I've seen cars with 100-120k kms that are literally scrap metal since they were NEVER maintained.

With older cars with fewer km's, you have to worry about leaking seals mainly, since the cars weren't driven much so its easy for stuff like corrosive rad fluid to eat away at the rad & heater core over the time if it just sits there.

Another thing you have to worry about is the engine being dry started. After an engine sits for a long period of time the oil drains out of the top of the engine, so starting it up once in a while is quite hard on an engine, leave alone if its done often.

Eitherway, if you're unsure of either, get it inspected, as they can find things you commonly cant (if you dont know what to look for) when looking for a car.

msommers
11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Depends on the vehicle, maintenance done and type of driving.

What are you looking at getting?

RNB11
11-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
It comes down to how well it was maintained during its life.
I've seen cars with 100-120k kms that are literally scrap metal since they were NEVER maintained.

With older cars with fewer km's, you have to worry about leaking seals mainly, since the cars weren't driven much so its easy for stuff like corrosive rad fluid to eat away at the rad & heater core over the time if it just sits there.

Another thing you have to worry about is the engine being dry started. After an engine sits for a long period of time the oil drains out of the top of the engine, so starting it up once in a while is quite hard on an engine, leave alone if its done often.

Eitherway, if you're unsure of either, get it inspected, as they can find things you commonly cant (if you dont know what to look for) when looking for a car.

Qyestion towards the dry engine. I plan on letting my car sit for about 4 months before i drive it. Is there a way to start it without it being hard on the engine?

bmeier
11-25-2010, 05:27 PM
the first time you start it take out the spark plugs and crank the engine over to move some oil around. honestly it probably wont make a difference but if you are worried you can do that.

RNB11
11-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I have got an 94 integra recently, it has 178000km's on it and looks in fairly good condition. He got it inspected at Durling Automotives Services and it passed just fined. Its too late now, but i should of took it somewhere to get it inspected myself. I'm not sure if that place is trustworthy for an inspection or they just passed the car regardless, can anyone give me an idea of how i can proceed?

Thanks

Graham_A_M
11-25-2010, 07:53 PM
If you're anywhere in the NE, take it to PAZ automotive. Peter is a certified HOnda tech, and is the most honest person you'll ever meet. Hes a fantastic mechanic, and did a fair bit of work for my mom (on her CRV) for free at times. I'd very highly recommend him. IF your in the SE, take it to Auto Align. Savio & his team are awesome.

Originally posted by RNB11

Qyestion towards the dry engine. I plan on letting my car sit for about 4 months before i drive it. Is there a way to start it without it being hard on the engine?

4 months isn't too bad... but regardless;
When starting my summer cars in the spring, I pull the plugs and shoot some 2 stroke (combustible) oil down into the cylinders. And doesn't STOP the wear, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier on the engine. Just dont get carried away, about 1/2 a teaspoon per cylinder is lots. (WD-40 works too if nothing else) It may be a wise idea to just mix in some 2 stroke oil into the gas when you put it away, that way when you first fire up the engine its getting lubricant. Like normal gas it'll just burn off the oil anyway.

RNB11
11-26-2010, 12:18 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2gt2ozp.jpg

im starting to get the impression i have maybe bought a lemon. Can anyone tel me what the rag is covering?
:banghead:

thepyrofish
11-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Looks like it's covering the crankcase vent tube coming off the valve cover. It should lead into the intake, but because of where the filter is located there is nowhere to attach it.

7thgenvic
11-26-2010, 09:06 AM
well maybe the first bad sign was that you had a rag plugging something in the engine....^^^^^.... errrgggg. Crankcase?

RNB11
11-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Can anyone explain to me what will happen of I leave it like that? Somethjng i need to checked asap? The rag is connected to the tube to the right of it. Sadly I have boughten this off a beyond member so I trusted it.

bjstare
11-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Haha, should have looked under the hood before you bought it. Beyond is full of all types; we all hope (and assume) its better than kijiji... but sometimes it isn't. Buyer beware I guess.

RNB11
11-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah I know, it wast bad. Now I'm just looking at getting everything fixed up. So in wondering whether this is important to fix right away.

gogreen
11-26-2010, 01:55 PM
If it is the breather tube that is covered by the rag, I would suggest removing the cone-style filter and installing a factory intake tube in its place, or a proper aftermarket intake. My concern would be twofold: improper crankcase ventilation can cause ring damage over time, and an incomplete seal between the filter and intake manifold can introduce dust and dirt into the engine.

I once looked at a '93 Integra that had a homebrewed intake system as well. It was a cone filter precariously attached to the factory intake elbow with packing tape (it also had a dangerously low oil level, but that's a different issue). I passed.

I agree with Graham_A_M that the level of maintenance is key. If the level of craftsmanship implied by that photo is evident throughout the vehicle, then I'd be more than a little suspicious of its maintenance history. I'm also puzzled as to why an inspector would pass it without mentioning the rag at all. A second opinion/inspection is a probably a good idea.

Hopefully any issues are minor and easily fixed. The good news is that there is a strong online following for Integras, and the typical issues are well-documented. Good luck!

RNB11
11-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Well i have got in contact with the owner and he told me that the intake pipe was removed so he could install the filter right to the throttle body. & its only the PCV hose and that it rerouts oil and gases back into the intake.

He also says normally you can get a small cone filter for it so it doesn't leak oil and can still breath but he didn't have one, so he covered it with a rag and zip tied it. He told me it wasn't a big deal but i was looking for a second opinion.

Is there something i can buy to replace the rag? A cheap fix?

Thanks guys

gogreen
11-26-2010, 04:35 PM
The PCV system requires intake manifold vacuum in order to operate properly. Having it open to atmosphere isn't sufficient. Before PCV systems, engines were equipped with a road draft tube that was open to the atmosphere, but they were placed underneath the vehicle so that when it was in motion the air moving over the opening helped draw the fumes out. Yours is just venting into the engine compartment, so it's not seeing any airflow.

So, without manifold vacuum the fumes won't actually be drawn out of the crankcase. They will escape but they won't be removed as efficiently. In time that can lead to issues with ring sealing due to the increased crankcase pressure, so the idea of a breather filter isn't ideal, IMO.

Not to mention the fact that those fumes will find their way into the passenger compartment. And if you do put a filter on the tube it would eventually get soaked with oil, attract dust and dirt, and possibly clog up as a result.

I would really recommend visiting the wrecking yard and finding a stock intake tube, or getting one from someone who's replaced theirs with an aftermarket one. That should be a cheap fix. I doubt you're getting much performance benefit from having the filter mounted directly to the throttle body anyway.

Just my $0.02...

Graham_A_M
11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
^ yeah if the wreckers wont have that hose (they will) you can get one at any Napa, Partsource or the like. If your at the wreckers, see where that hose goes on the car (but check a couple so you know for sure), and do that to yours.

RNB11
11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Is it an easy replacement? Take one out, put the new one in? Or should I allow an mechanic to do it?

Graham_A_M
11-26-2010, 04:59 PM
^ Its painfully easy to do, seriously. Just go to Pick & Pull, find your car and see where its connected to. Take note of where it comes from and goes, then buy the hose. Go to your car and install it exactly like how it was from the car you got it from.
Done. Or you can give that hose to a mechanic, he can spend 2 mins installing it and charge you $110/hr, its your call. :dunno:

RNB11
11-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys, you are the best lol.
So I should just be looking for the hose?

Graham_A_M
11-26-2010, 08:29 PM
^ Make a detailed list of everything your car needs, everything from interior, to exterior trim engine and everything else then go there and go on a hunt for it.
You may want to go after having your car properly inspected, since they'll give you a much more detailed mechanical list then you probably know already.
But just combine that with the stuff you know needs to be replaced and whatever you cant replace on the car, perhaps get a friend or even a mechanic to replace for you.

When you're at the yard, perhaps if your phone takes decent photos; use that or bring a camera so when it comes to re-installing something like a hose or a belt; you'll already know exactly how it supposed to go back on. ;)

RNB11
11-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Ive been looking online at breather filters and they seem like a quick an effective fix. You said it will collect alot of dirt, etc but will it be gold enough if I change it every tuneup?

Where would I get one? Does it have to be a specific model or so they all fit? places like Canadian tire?

Graham_A_M
11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Its just a mini air filter, almost every place will have one, but try Mopac, thats the best place I can suggest.

RNB11
11-27-2010, 05:29 PM
will do. Also looking for some touch up spray paint thunder gray metallic and maybe some rust converter or inhibitor. Hoping moped will have all that.

StreetRacerX
11-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow, open element air filter right off the throttle body....you need a pipe in between those.

copynpaste
11-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Pick n Pull is great but the parts get picked clean within hours or days literally.

I went there 3 days after they got a car same year and model as mine and it was already picked clean. :( TOtal waste of time going down there.

G-ZUS
11-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Pick n Pull is great but the parts get picked clean within hours or days literally.

I went there 3 days after they got a car same year and model as mine and it was already picked clean. :( TOtal waste of time going down there.

Newer cars dont last at picknpull older cars will sit for sometime. Were you looking for a transmission by any chance?

RNB11
11-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
Wow, open element air filter right off the throttle body....you need a pipe in between those.

What's the difference between having a hose or an air breather? Where would the hide connect?

gogreen
11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
The hose that's currently covered with the rag would connect to a port on the factory intake elbow. I've seen several aftermarket intakes with the same port.

This will ensure the PCV system functions as it's intended. It is not just for emissions, as I stated before.

As for the filter location, you'd have to perform some dyno tests to be sure but I would assume that you're losing some low-end torque with the current arrangement. It may be of some benefit at wide open throttle, but on a stock engine I suspect it wouldn't amount to much. Besides, low- and mid-range torque is much more important on a street-driven car.

The filter is also located quite close to the engine block, so you're probably losing some power since the engine is drawing in hot air.

RNB11
11-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Well i have added a breather and everything seems well right now, seems like the cheapest fix at the moment. Is it illegal to have it?

gogreen
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Normally I would think it could be an issue whenever an inspection is involved, but since the car passed as is it would appear not.

I just don't see the logic behind that air filter location. It's obstructed and is going to be drawing heated air off the engine block and intake manifold. That may increase fuel economy in extremely cold conditions, but in any other instance it just doesn't make sense...

RNB11
11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by gogreen
Normally I would think it could be an issue whenever an inspection is involved, but since the car passed as is it would appear not.

I just don't see the logic behind that air filter location. It's obstructed and is going to be drawing heated air off the engine block and intake manifold. That may increase fuel economy in extremely cold conditions, but in any other instance it just doesn't make sense...

I agree with you, but i bought it this way and when i get the time and money, i will switch it back to complete stock.

gogreen
12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
:thumbsup: Cool, I hope this has been helpful. Anyway, as long as the air filter has a tight seal at the throttle body then it should be okay as a temporary measure.

Good luck with the car!