PDA

View Full Version : Whats the law on tires sticking out past fenders?

delco21
11-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Can anyone tell me what the law is on having tires that stick out past the fenders on a truck?

T-Dubbs
11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
You CANNOT have them stick out past your fenders.

ercchry
11-27-2010, 04:42 PM
im pretty sure that trucks are not covered by the same rules as cars.... :waits for fraserB to enter thread:

edit: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

page 35... under mud guards, really confused as it goes on about them then it says passenger cars dont need them... so i guess trucks do?

FraserB
11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
My experience has been that they care a ton more about mud flaps that fenders, so long as its not ridiculous. There are a few people I know that have a good amount of tire sticking out and they got pulled over for the lack of mud flaps and not fender coverage. The generally accepted rule is that mud flaps go to the center of the axle.

The wording of that section is a bit ambiguous as well since it states that only that there needs to be a part of the body, fender or mud flap that covers the whole width of the tire and the word "fender" is only mentioned twice in the document.

I don't want to be the one trying this out though.

Alak
11-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Which is funny because 99% of the monster trucks I see on the road (with the exception of the fine people who are responsible off-road enthusiats of course) have no mudflaps OR overfenders.

Hell when I ripped my mudflaps off, I felt guilty after 6 months and bought a new set.

Cos
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Who cares about mud flaps?.... Unknown's mudflaps tore off and popped his tire. I tried some flaps and they tore off so I am paranoid about it.

I have yet to be stopped at all for it. I know it is bad but they keep being torn off so I need smaller tires or at least wait until mine are worn down a bit.

Hakkola
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Who cares about mud flaps?.... Unknown's mudflaps tore off and popped his tire. I tried some flaps and they tore off so I am paranoid about it.

It's usually the people behind you that care about mudflaps.

I saw a couple trucks pulled over last summer that I thought were probably pulled over because of a lack of mudflaps, but that was just an assumption and I have no way of knowing for sure.

Cos
11-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

It's usually the people behind you that care about mudflaps.

I saw a couple trucks pulled over last summer that I thought were probably pulled over because of a lack of mudflaps, but that was just an assumption and I have no way of knowing for sure.

I meant I have not once seen cops pull anyone over. I do my best to not change lanes in front of people without a ton of room in front of them.

Unknown303
11-28-2010, 09:00 PM
I've had worse rocks kicked up from cars for some reason.

But as far as the law is concerned they are supposed to go down in the back to the center of the axle and on top cover the width of the tire.

FraserB
11-28-2010, 11:24 PM
If you put a small chain from the mudflap to the body it will keep it from getting eaten by the tire. Or you can make some removable ones so you can take them off for the trail.

mrbojangles
11-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
You CANNOT have them stick out past your fenders.

Unless the tread of the tire is covered by a fender flare.

Alak
11-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by mrbojangles

Unless the tread of the tire is covered by a fender flare.

Which is, of course, the purpose of the fender flares haha.

Friend of mine put has 14.50 inch wide All Terrains on his YJ with off set rims. He had to get these super wide flares.

Cos
11-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Was just thinking about this driving to work. If mud flaps are considered a requirement then a vehicle should not be sold without them. I had a new jeep in front of me this AM shooting rocks all over my truck because it doesnt have mud flaps.

How can you sell a vehicle without the minimum required equipment. Wouldnt that be like selling a car without working signal lights and charging an extra option for it?

FraserB
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Passenger cars are not required to have then, however some do. A new Jeep is considered ti be a car and not a truck. Its tires are also covered by the fender from the factory.

Can someone please link the actual law and section that states the FENDER must cover the tire. The only section that I can find uses the word "or" to descride the coverage required for tires.

Type_S1
11-29-2010, 12:11 PM
So if a truck without mudflaps flips a few rocks and cracks your window you can call the cops and take it to his insurance? :dunno:

I've always wondered this as I hate dbag truck drivers without mudflaps. I had my window replaced this year from a truck without mudflaps having a nice sized rock smash my front windshield.

ercchry
11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Passenger cars are not required to have then, however some do. A new Jeep is considered ti be a car and not a truck. Its tires are also covered by the fender from the factory.

Can someone please link the actual law and section that states the FENDER must cover the tire. The only section that I can find uses the word "or" to descride the coverage required for tires.

i think as the law sees it a mudguard is anything that protects the wheel from flinging objects from the road, be it a fender or a mudflap

Mudguards
64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.

(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and

(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to at least the centre line of the axle, or

(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is loaded.

(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and stone-throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:

(a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial
vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than,
or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a bus;

(b) a bus;

(c) a trailer.

(4) A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.

(5) This section does not apply to a trailer designed and
constructed for drive-on and drive-off low loads.

so... if a jeep is a passenger car... i can have wheels stick out passed my fender and not need mudflaps? this would make sense considering from factory the rear of my fender flares are above the centre of the rear axle

Alak
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Sweet, my Land Rover is considered a station wagon. Time to lift, put on 44's and drive EVERYWHERE without mudflaps! LEGALLY!

Cos
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
It says a fender OR a mud guard and what Eric highlighted also is contrary to what most people where saying. My vehicle is considered a passenger vehicle (as it is the only class of vehicle I can drive legally).

Dont get me wrong I am going to pick some up just regardless if it is the law or not.

Unknown303
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
From http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-122-2009/latest/alta-reg-122-2009.html

Mudguards

64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.

(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and

(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to at least the centre line of the axle, or

(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is loaded.

(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and stone‑throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:

(a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than, or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a bus;

(b) a bus;

(c) a trailer.

(4) A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.

(5) This section does not apply to a trailer designed and constructed for drive‑on and drive‑off low loads.

ercchry
11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Cos
(as it is the only class of vehicle I can drive legally).

not true... you can legally drive a 5 ton truck as long as it only has two axles and no air brakes

Rapier46
12-12-2010, 12:54 PM
My Toyota, tires only stick out 6.5 inches. No mud flaps or flares.

J-D
12-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I've had worse rocks kicked up from cars for some reason.

But as far as the law is concerned they are supposed to go down in the back to the center of the axle and on top cover the width of the tire.

I think this is because the awful windshield cracking rocks come from the privately contracted companies that put gravel down in parking lots. They get nice and lodged for a bit until they decide to own your glass. The city and provincial contractors (carmacks/volkerstein/etc) all seem to screen the gravel better.