PDA

View Full Version : Help sold my car and now he wants a refund

Pages : [1] 2

Luang
11-27-2010, 05:50 PM
i sold my car and bill of sale and everything was signed and the money was sent to me

the guy saw the car and agreed that he wanted it and when he was picking it up he looked at it again and saw the whole front end was welded on and said he didn't want it. i had no previous knowledge about this because the guy i bought the car from told me nothing about this 2 months ago.

so what do i do now because he said that legally i have to give him the money back because it was not as stated but its kinda impossible to state something that i dont know about

i would gladly give him the money back but the car is in Edmonton right now and im in Calgary so ive already bought another car and the money is gone??

pf0sh0
11-27-2010, 05:53 PM
buyer beware. He should have got it inspected before hand

ercchry
its a private sale, as is where is no refunds, tell him to pound sand.... but having said that i do not understand your story at all, he paid you for a car sight unseen?

SWX
I would say if you put "as is where is" on the BOS he bought him self a car. And if i was you i'd look at the car i was buying better next time.

Luang
11-27-2010, 05:54 PM
so i dont have to give the money back because i need the car out of the parking lot its at before the 30th or its getting towed so i need a for sure answer

Luang
11-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SWX
I would say if you put "as is where is" on the BOS he bought him self a car. And if i was you i'd look at the car i was buying better next time.

its on there

roll_over
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Car is sold as is?

Luang
Originally posted by ercchry
its a private sale, as is where is no refunds, tell him to pound sand.... but having said that i do not understand your story at all, he paid you for a car sight unseen?

no he saw the car i gave him the address and he looked at it

pf0sh0
Originally posted by Luang

its on there

Then no

ercchry
so i dont have to give the money back because i need the car out of the parking lot its at before the 30th or its getting towed so i need a for sure answer

your story still is not adding up at all... but if everything is done, go to the registry and cancel the plate on the car you no longer own, call the new owner and tell him to remove his property from your parking spot or it is getting towed.. if he has an issue with that... then get it towed

Luang
11-27-2010, 05:57 PM
he also paid via paypal so he can file a calim for his money back right?

ercchry
11-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0

Then no

even if it was not on there, it is a private sale... its ALWAYS as is where is, you have 0 protection buying a car privately, this is why used car dealers can charge more, because they have to be held accountable for their sales

ercchry
11-27-2010, 05:59 PM
he also paid via paypal so he can file a calim for his money back right?

if you have spent the money and it is out of your account then there is nothing paypal can do... besides banning you from ever using paypal again

black13
11-27-2010, 06:05 PM
So you were the one selling that car in edm, what happened? you drifted the car to the curb and broke the wheel axle?

and the previous owner did say about it burning oil too but you didn't mention that in your ad either.

If it was cash deal you'd be good but paypal almost always takes the side of the buyer with their BS policies. He might have a chance but not sure.

Luang
11-27-2010, 06:06 PM
he has filed a claim and my account is - $1456.20 anybody know what to do now

Not as described dispute
Buyer reason(s):

Externally Damaged
Internally Damaged

Status

******************* has opened a dispute against this transaction. We encourage you to work together to resolve this problem.

You or *********** can ask PayPal to investigate by escalating this dispute to a claim anytime between 11/26/2010 10:21 GMT-05:00 and 12/17/2010 18:54 GMT-05:00.
From Buyer - ****************

11/27/2010 18:54 GMT-05:00

The car had frame damage not disclosed by the seller. The front of the car was cut off and a new one welded on making it impossible to get a safety inspection in this province. This was not disclosed by the seller and thereby the item is not as listed. I am willing to pay the seller $200 for his troubles and time.

************** has requested a $1,300.00 CAD refund. Do you agree to grant this refund and close this dispute?

Accept the refund & close the dispute

Don't accept - show other options

Luang
11-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by black13
So you were the one selling that car in edm, what happened? you drifted the car to the curb and broke the wheel axle?

and the previous owner did say about it burning oil too but you didn't mention that in your ad either.

If it was cash deal you'd be good but paypal almost always takes the side of the buyer with their BS policies. He might have a chance but not sure.

valve seals were fixed. yupp slid into a curb wasnt drifting just going to fast into a corner in the rain

ercchry
11-27-2010, 06:10 PM
just click dont accept :dunno:

BrknFngrs
11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
When you purchased the car you didn't realize that the car had literally been welded back together?

Luang
11-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
When you purchased the car you didn't realize that the car had literally been welded back together?

nope never saw and it was never mentioned from the seller so i didnt look for and frame welding

Kloubek
11-27-2010, 06:21 PM
My Corvette was purchased, and the buyer (a Beyond member) had his parent flip out when he brought it home. I had already deposited the money when he called me back and asked to bring it back.

Normally, I would have told him that the sale was final, but he was a younger guy and his parents were threatening not to pay for his tuition, etc. Plus he offered me an extra $500.

It would have been nice to have downsized my "fleet" over the winter, but it was a judgement call.

In this case, you can choose not to pay him back - but I am not sure what Paypal's rules are to things like this. You might just want to pay him and be done with the issue - sometimes it is easier that way.

Redlyne_mr2
11-27-2010, 06:23 PM
It's a $1300 car, what is the guy stressing about?

J-hop
11-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Luang
11-27-2010, 06:37 PM
can a car really not pass a safety inspection if the front is welded on? i dont even kno if it is welded on ive never seen it so i dont know how bad it is or where it is

black13
11-27-2010, 06:45 PM

valve seals were fixed. yupp slid into a curb wasnt drifting just going to fast into a corner in the rain
ah i see, send paypal the bill of sale with the words "as-is" highlighted and maybe they will be ok with it.

roll_over
11-27-2010, 07:01 PM
maybe it was welded for rigidity? is the buyyer a 16 year old drift prodigy

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
maybe it was welded for rigidity? is the buyyer a 16 year old drift prodigy

LOL!!!. i dont know never seen him before im in calgary hes in edmonton.

JimmyBurner
11-27-2010, 07:15 PM
LOL at you e-lawyers. Get a lawyer? Really? The car is sold, he signed the bill of sale, he SAW the car. It doesn't matter if it got assraped by hurricane katrina itself, he saw the car and signed off on the sale. The only way it would be illegal on your part is if it has a rebuilt title and you told him it is active, or if it has liens. Can't pass a safety? LOL. Do you even know what they check for in a safety? Look at a safety inspection sheet, the jist of it is SAFETY items, like brakes, windshield, tires, not frame damage and "welding" lol. Click do not accept, and tell him to fuck off. What's Paypal going to do, deduct invisible money?

Cooked Rice
11-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Lol why did you use paypal as payment?

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by JimmyBurner
The only way it would be illegal on your part is if it has a rebuilt title and you told him it is active, or if it has liens. Can't pass a safety?

cars title is active. and is free of all liens. hes the one that told me it cant pass a safety.

you a lawyer?

Penguin_Racecar
11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
How did the car pass inspection before with the front end of another vehicle welded to it? Did you have it inspected in Calgary when you purchased it? Just curious if welding half a car on is even legal.

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Lol why did you use paypal as payment?

he said he had the money in paypal and i was 300km away so i just said ok.

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
How did the car pass inspection before with the front end of another vehicle welded to it? Did you have it inspected in Calgary when you purchased it? Just curious if welding half a car on is even legal.

dont think its half the car he sad right at the battery tray. i never personaly got a inspection but he showed me his inspection sheet and it passed

JimmyBurner
11-27-2010, 07:23 PM

cars title is active. and is free of all liens. hes the one that told me it cant pass a safety.

you a lawyer?

No, but I have a brain.

Like I said, active title, no liens, tell him to go fuck himself. If he's so worried about damage history on a $1300 car then he should've brought a mechanic to check it for frame damage when he came to check it out. It's like some guy coming to see your car, buying it from you, and then saying he wants a refund because he went to get a safety and the tires didn't pass, and you didn't tell him.

roll_over
11-27-2010, 07:25 PM
what kind of car is it? welding a unibody frames is common to make the frame stiffer.

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
what kind of car is it? welding a unibody frames is common to make the frame stiffer.

1991 Toyota Soarer. donno about welding to make it stiffer i would take a picture so you could judge that but never seen it and cars in edmonton

Penguin_Racecar
11-27-2010, 07:27 PM

dont think its half the car he sad right at the battery tray. i never personaly got a inspection but he showed me his inspection sheet and it passed

When you insured it your insurance company didn't ask for an inspection considering it was a 15+ year old car at date of purchase? Or did they take the previous owner's inspection documentation and clear it using that?

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:28 PM

When you insured it your insurance company didn't ask for an inspection considering it was a 15+ year old car at date of purchase? Or did they take the previous owner's inspection documentation and clear it using that?

they never asked me for a safety just told me to take pictures for the visual inspection and send them

J-hop
11-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:34 PM
i would talk to my lawyer but hes not in town right now

4bier
11-27-2010, 07:39 PM
did he pick the car up from your house, if so you can end up in an unlawful predicament... 1400 bucks is 1400 bucks :dunno:

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by 4bier
did he pick the car up from your house, if so you can end up in an unlawful predicament... 1400 bucks is 1400 bucks :dunno:

dont get it?? and no not my house i live in calgary

4bier
11-27-2010, 07:47 PM
so what im trying to say does he know where you live if so he could damage your shit smash your car up vandalize shit who knows

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 4bier
so what im trying to say does he know where you live if so he could damage your shit smash your car up vandalize shit who knows

ahh i see now. :cry: :cry:

mattEG
11-27-2010, 07:51 PM

dont get it?? and no not my house i live in calgary
Answering a phone call or an email would be a good start. I'm trying to make this right for both of us but the fact of the matter is there was significant undisclosed damage along with the frame issue in the front. These include:

- frame damage
- rust issues on improper frame damage repair
- the car had 0 coolant in it (I shouldve checked that)
- after asking if the ps pump leaked you explicitly stated it didn't but upon hearing it run (after having to drive across the city for a key) it turns out that it doesn't leak because there is no fluid in the reservoir
- and it goes on

I've told you I'm willing to work this out but now you're not returning phone calls or emails. Get in touch so we can get it sorted.

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
never got a phone call

Luang
11-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by mattEG

Answering a phone call or an email would be a good start. I'm trying to make this right for both of us but the fact of the matter is there was significant undisclosed damage along with the frame issue in the front. These include:

- frame damage
- rust issues on improper frame damage repair
- the car had 0 coolant in it (I shouldve checked that)
- after asking if the ps pump leaked you explicitly stated it didn't but upon hearing it run (after having to drive across the city for a key) it turns out that it doesn't leak because there is no fluid in the reservoir
- and it goes on

I've told you I'm willing to work this out but now you're not returning phone calls or emails. Get in touch so we can get it sorted.

-car had coolant in it and if it leaked their would be a pool of it there and their wasnt
-ps pump doesn't leak never had to top it up in the 3 months ive owned it

anarchy
11-27-2010, 07:58 PM
:drama:

Here we go!

Uncle Flappy
11-27-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/scarjo_popcorn.gif

mattEG
11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I refuse to argue on the internet for the amusement of others. :) I am willing to sort this out though.

Uncle Flappy
11-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I refuse to argue on the internet for the amusement of others. :) I am willing to sort this out though.

What is there to sort out? :dunno:

AS IS, WHERE IS.

4bier
11-27-2010, 08:03 PM
if rolls were reversed what would you guys do ? :confused: create a post on beyond wtf should i do:whocares:

Uncle Flappy
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately MattEG is ffffed unless he got in writing that there were no leaks on the car, etc. etc.

JimmyBurner
11-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Flappy

What is there to sort out? :dunno:

AS IS, WHERE IS.

LOL :werd:
Are people actually this stupid? The funny part is the guy who bought the car can actually form coherent sentences pretty well and his english is fully understandable.

It doesn't matter if there was a MILLION things wrong with the car, you should've CHECKED before you BOUGHT.

I want to see if the OP is more of a moron then this guy, and if he actually does anything other than ignore him and tell him to fuck off.

mattEG
11-27-2010, 08:33 PM

LOL :werd:
Are people actually this stupid? The funny part is the guy who bought the car can actually form coherent sentences pretty well and his english is fully understandable.

It doesn't matter if there was a MILLION things wrong with the car, you should've CHECKED before you BOUGHT.

I want to see if the OP is more of a moron then this guy, and if he actually does anything other than ignore him and tell him to fuck off.

Internet lawyers make me laugh. Misleading the buyer through non-disclosure in a used car sale private or from a dealer is grounds for all kinds of legal nastiness. There is small claims precedent for this - I am not talking out of my ass here.

That said as I've stated to the seller we can easily sort this out as I'm willing to take the car if he chucks me a few hundred back.

gofastmerc
11-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Pics of "welded front end" ??

As a bodyman, I am somewhat surprised I'm no longer allowed to weld cars back together.

calgary403
11-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Internet lawyers make me laugh. Misleading the buyer through non-disclosure in a used car sale private or from a dealer is grounds for all kinds of legal nastiness. There is small claims precedent for this - I am not talking out of my ass here.

That said as I've stated to the seller we can easily sort this out as I'm willing to take the car if he chucks me a few hundred back.

So....you bought a car and didn't properly inspect it and want money back? You should have inspected the car BEFORE you bought it.

It is a pretty shitty thing to happen I understand but you're SOL.

I would take this as a learning experience and act differently next time. You bought the car it is now your responsibility.

Luang
11-27-2010, 09:18 PM
donno never seen the weld. first time of me hearing about it so i dont have pics

TE4MFaint
11-27-2010, 09:34 PM
This is idiotic.
Vehicles sold privately as stated "as is where is"
You paid, its now your vehicle my friend, title is in your hands and out of the OP.
Had a situation happen to me quite similar. But guess what, I paid, I signed the bill of sale "as is". guess what, that means it was now my car.
Its life, get over it. Be glad youre only out $1400 and not $14, 000.

Tik-Tok
11-27-2010, 09:56 PM

You will have to prove that he KNEW of the damage, otherwise you're SOL.

ercchry
11-27-2010, 09:57 PM
ALL PRIVATE SALES ARE AS IS WHERE IS UNLESS STATED OTHER WISE

why do you people keep stating other wise?

also...

You may be able to buy a vehicle privately at a lower price. However, keep in mind that if you have problems with the vehicle, it may be difficult if not impossible to get any help or compensation from the seller if something goes wrong. Most private sales are “as is”. This means that the seller won’t fix any flaws or damage.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/consumer/reality_choices/drivers/private_sales.cfm

mattEG
11-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Seller is being reasonable and we've worked it out.

As for the rest of you that claim as-is where-is holds wait I'd suggest you consult your family lawyer before making a sale in the future.

ercchry
11-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Seller is being reasonable and we've worked it out.

As for the rest of you that claim as-is where-is holds wait I'd suggest you consult your family lawyer before making a sale in the future.

what the fuck is a family lawyer going to do?

its simple read the alberta services website.

1. unless stated other wise all PRIVATE SALES are as is where is since it is not a regulated market, ie. you write up a bill of sale with terms like "seller guarantees blah blah blah", then you have a case... but you still have to take it to small claims yourself, and potentially will be out of pocket at the end of the day

2. you would need prove that without a doubt that the seller had prior knowledge of anything substantially wrong with the vehicle and proof that you asked him about it and proof that he lied to you about it

3. i would have more points... but i dont, since this is so cut and dry and has been debated to death a million times.

M.alex
11-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
My Corvette was purchased, and the buyer (a Beyond member) had his parent flip out when he brought it home. I had already deposited the money when he called me back and asked to bring it back.

Wait...wait....seriously? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

J-hop
11-27-2010, 10:29 PM

johnboy27
11-27-2010, 10:32 PM

You do realize that this insurancve inspection thing is not a law, it is just a requirement of "SOME" insurance companies. Co-operators doesn not require and inspection for liability insurance, neither does State Farm. I was talking to an agent at State Farm and he told me that as long as it is not law they will not require and inspection and at this time it is not law.
OP, tell the buyer to piss off. Having the car welded up in front of the battery tray is shit all. If it was in a collision at one time and that corner was damaged enough that they couldn't just straighten it they would cut a section out of a donar car and weld it in, not really that uncommon.

ercchry
11-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

a family lawyer will interpret the fine print for you, fact of the matter is people get out of signed contracts all the time with good lawyers who find loop holes.

Are you a lawyer yourself? no? are you in law school? no? then your posts are just opinion not fact. so don't get so worked up over someone not agreeing with your opinion.

I mean people on here are trying to claim that an inspection doesn't cover frame damage, which is ludicrous.

good lawyers cost money (ie. not worth it for a $1300 car)... good lawyers specialize in certain areas of the law, do not lump me in with everyone else and do not make assumptions about me

EDIT: oh and please tell me why you think this is just my opinion... if you took a few seconds to search the government website outlining this you would see it is indeed fact and i do not need letters after my name to prove that, kthxbye

J-hop
11-27-2010, 10:39 PM

ercchry
11-27-2010, 10:43 PM

edit: i said it is your opinion because you don't know loop holes, you only read one thing and assume it applies 100% of the time. What about misrepresentation of a product, what about fraud?

please find sources to counter my argument before your head is stuck in your ass for good

ExtraSlow
11-27-2010, 10:55 PM
This has taught me one important thing. Don't take anything but cash for vehicles under $5k. The whole paypal thing gave this negligent buyer more power than was warranted.

If the seller truly didn't know about the "defects" then he's not misrepresenting the car, and he's not liable.

Yep, I'm talking out my ass here, but I was this seller, I'd be firm about that point.

J-hop
11-27-2010, 11:28 PM

ercchry
11-27-2010, 11:41 PM

well here is a quick thing to think about. If you buy a car and when you go to register it and an odometer fraud has been found, the seller is on the hook for that and the "as is" doesn't apply. The buyer is supposed to immediately report this illegal act to the police and the seller may be charged.

Now in that same respect, it is illegal in alberta to not report an accident with damages totaling over $1000. Which if there was frame damage it is undoubtedly the case for this vehicle. Thus it could be argued that an illegal act was committed and the vehicles condition has been falsified/misrepresented. In which case I feel that a good lawyer could argue the "as is" doesn't apply here.

One thing with contracts is that the person/company administering the contract is legally required to may sure beyond a reasonable doubt that the person signing the contract understands the terms. Which means disclosing everything. This is why when you enter into some contracts they can be pages and pages long.

But I am no lawyer so take what I say with a grain of salt as I have no business giving legal advice

Originally posted by ercchry

2. you would need prove that without a doubt that the seller had prior knowledge of anything substantially wrong with the vehicle and proof that you asked him about it and proof that he lied to you about it

you are so god damn wrong you should really quit before i start to get serious about this debate.

but i will respond to your point about reporting $1000 worth of damage....

what is illegal is a body shop working on a car with over $1000 worth of damage without a damage sticker... if i have a car at the track and cause damage to it i can go home and fix it myself with 0 issues... plus even if it was reported and fixed by a body shop by a previous owner (remember this guy only owned the car for two months) then how does that effect anything if the buyer did not run the vin number through databases that would have the info on the accident?

Kloubek
11-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Wait...wait....seriously? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes seriously. I hope you're laughing over the stupidity of someone buying a car then wanting to bring it back more than you're laughing that I actually took it back.

I didn't want the guy's family life to get all fucked up because he made a mistake. I mean, hell... if I can rent out my Vette for the night for $500 a pop, I think that could be a pretty lucrative business!

As for this entire business, I'm going to add my two cents. This is what I've been lead to believe:

Vehicles are sold where is, as is. The only instance where I would imagine a law suit would actually be succesful against a seller is if it could be proven that a) the car is not roadworthy and possibly b) The owner knows that and is trying to misprepresent the vehicle.

Besides that, a vehicle of this price is hardly worth a civil suit - let alone getting a lawyer involved.

One needs to assume that buying a vehicle worth that kind of money means you are NOT buying a new car. You are buying a vehicle which probably has a host of issues which could use repair, and it is up to the buyer to check the vehicle over properly before making the decision to buy. In my opinion, the buyer is experiencing buyer's remorse and feels like an idiot for not checking the car over properly in the first place. (Which he might just be) And the more he talks about how secure his position is in the event of a court battle the more I side with the OP.

J-hop
11-27-2010, 11:58 PM

ercchry
11-28-2010, 12:29 AM

well i think it is up to the court to decide if ignorance is a legitimate excuse. but in regards to the $1000 rule you are wrong.

From the university of calgary website (don't ask me why I found it there haha)

http://www.ucalgary.ca/riskmgmt/vehicleaccidents

AND, from edmonton's police website ( I could find a calgary resource if you really aren't convinced).

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/TrafficVehicles/TrafficCollisions/ReportACollision.aspx

So again we all need to step back and stop trying to give legal advice because as I will mention again no one seems to know the law to its fullest extent.

edit: and I can find the link for the instructions from alberta transportation (i think it was) on reporting odometer fraud if that was what you were referring to as being wrong

please at least refer to the correct literature...

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

page 74.... see how it says on a highway... ie. public road... thus me still being correct about damage occurring on private property, and way down at the bottom it talks about repairs too... page 170 or something

J-hop
11-28-2010, 12:37 AM

ercchry
11-28-2010, 12:40 AM
no... you said it is 100% illegal not to report it... i gave you an instance when that is not true... but regardless of the source of an accident it is always illegal for a shop to fix damage exceeding $1000 without a damage sticker

bignerd
11-28-2010, 12:41 AM

well i think it is up to the court to decide if ignorance is a legitimate excuse. but in regards to the $1000 rule you are wrong.

There is a difference between ignorance and being unaware, which you don't seem to understand as you keep stating how the seller is "on the hook" for all things wrong with the car they sold-but only IF they are aware of the problems to begin with. If an owner was not aware that the odometer on their car had been rolled back, you cannot hold them responsible for it as they represented the car correctly TO THEIR KNOWLEDGE AT THAT TIME. Regardless, if you sue someone for "ignorance", it is your burden to prove they were indeed so.

J-hop
11-28-2010, 12:42 AM

J-hop
11-28-2010, 12:44 AM

turbotrip
11-28-2010, 01:36 AM
ive been through this a couple of times and the sale is final, so nothing the buyer can really do even with a lawyer

kbye
11-28-2010, 02:33 AM
So what's the deal, OP? I seriously hope you did not compensate the buyer...

M.alex
11-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Yes seriously. I hope you're laughing over the stupidity of someone buying a car then wanting to bring it back more than you're laughing that I actually took it back.

I didn't want the guy's family life to get all fucked up because he made a mistake. I mean, hell... if I can rent out my Vette for the night for $500 a pop, I think that could be a pretty lucrative business!

I was laughing over the fact this kid buys a corvette, brings it home, then his mommy is like 'OMFG!!! YOU BOUGHT A CORVETTE!! DEVIL CHILD! DEVIL CHILD! HOW SELFISH CAN YOU BE! YOU DON'T HAVE MY APPROVAL TO KEEP IT' :rofl:

ryder_23
11-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
ive been through this a couple of times and the sale is final, so nothing the buyer can really do even with a lawyer

Remind me to never buy a vehicle from you.

revelations
11-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

Remind me to never buy a vehicle from you.

He didnt say which side of the transaction he was on.

Also, even he was a seller, people have different standards for the vehicles they purchase.

Eg. someone might not care about finding a little rust in a non-critical area after purchase while someone else might freak out and demand a refund.

403Gemini
11-28-2010, 04:24 PM
IMO if you're buying a vehicle, its your responsibility to get the inspection done. You can HOPE that the person selling it upfront is 100% honest with you, and by the sounds of it, the OP didn't know about the welding/prior damage so how the hell is he supposed to inform the buyer about it?

Fact is , buyer saw the car, didn't get it inspected, purchased it and then freaked out because it had this damage that he (the buyer) didn't look for in the first place. Still don't think it's the OP's fault :dunno:

googe
11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
But if you're a human, you have a moral responsibility to not be a douche and rip people off. People forget that part.

Not saying that happened here, but it's not like the letter of the law is the only thing that should guide your decision.

JimmyBurner
11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Jhop please shutup, how are you going to tell everyone that they shouldn't offer legal advice if they're not lawyers when you're not a lawyer yourself? It's sold as is. Your odometer fraud example is wrong, the buyer would have to prove beyond a doubt that the seller KNEW about the odometer being turned back. Good luck with that.

The OP is even dumber then the guy who bought the car, I can't believe he actually gave him a fuckin penny back. It really aggravates me when snobby morons like the buyer try to use some litigation bullshit and scare even bigger morons like the OP into actually negotiating. Get a life. You bought a $1300 car, you went to go look at it and check it out, and you obviously didn't know shit about cars. You're just lucky you somehow weasled your way into the sellers head and made him give you the money. Family lawyer for this shit?:rofl:

What about the people who spend 20 grand on cars from the dealership without checking them out and find out about rollbacks, accidents, theft, interior flood/water, etc, and get shit all back from the dealership when they complain. I wonder what kind of lawyers they need.

TE4MFaint
11-28-2010, 06:08 PM

What about the people who spend 20 grand on cars from the dealership without checking them out and find out about rollbacks, accidents, theft, interior flood/water, etc, and get shit all back from the dealership when they complain. I wonder what kind of lawyers they need.

Family lawyers apparently :angel:

ddduke
11-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Jhop please shutup, how are you going to tell everyone that they shouldn't offer legal advice if they're not lawyers when you're not a lawyer yourself? It's sold as is. Your odometer fraud example is wrong, the buyer would have to prove beyond a doubt that the seller KNEW about the odometer being turned back. Good luck with that.

The OP is even dumber then the guy who bought the car, I can't believe he actually gave him a fuckin penny back. It really aggravates me when snobby morons like the buyer try to use some litigation bullshit and scare even bigger morons like the OP into actually negotiating. Get a life. You bought a $1300 car, you went to go look at it and check it out, and you obviously didn't know shit about cars. You're just lucky you somehow weasled your way into the sellers head and made him give you the money. Family lawyer for this shit?:rofl:

So true. I can't believe the op was even willing to deal with this douche.

As for the buyer, he bought a $1300 car, what did he expect? Ofcourse it's going to be a peice of shit.

A few years back I spent $11000 on a car and blew the motor on my way home from picking it up. Spoke with our lawyer right when I got the $5000+ repair estimate and he told me to try to recieve some compensation from the seller and hope he's a reasonable guy because there's nothing that I could do legally.

OP, you're a moron and buyer, you're a whiney bitch.

SCHIDER23
11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
We had a similar problem a long time ago, my brother and I bought a vehicle private sale, the seller only stated it needed a new wheel bearing and oil pan, turns out after we finally got it to a shop, it needed a new engine , and a new transmission lmfao, the douche knew that it needed at least 3 to 5 grand of work, but there was no way we could prove it, we learned never ever buy anything without first getting an inspection done by a place you trust, cause we got fucked good, is funny this happen to us about 10 years ago LOL, the good old days, anyway we contacted the registry office for some help and they said there was nothing they could do, and since the pink slip said the four magical word " as is where is" , they said it was not worth going after the guy if I didn't have any evidence.:rofl:

To the OP you a fool for giving this guy any money, he should have done his homework before buying anything, his lucky it was only $1300, and that he used Paypal to intimidate you, at the end my brother and I knew we screwed up and there was no point in bitching about it, we did talk to the guy about the damage, but he came back to the bill of sale, so we just got the work done and moved on, I won't denied it we did stake out the guys place a few times lol, just to scared him lmao.:rofl:

Scope951
11-28-2010, 08:45 PM
thread = LOL

OP -> props for even considering dealing with the fool.

Guy who bought the car -> consider yourself damn lucky OP even thought about you after he got your cash.

also small claims :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

derpderp
11-29-2010, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by googe
But if you're a human, you have a moral responsibility to not be a douche and rip people off. People forget that part.

Not saying that happened here, but it's not like the letter of the law is the only thing that should guide your decision.

I see we agree on something. I'd feel bad if I screwed someone over by mistake. The first car I bought had some issues, I called the seller and he claimed to be unaware of them, thankfully the seller was kind enough to work with me and gave me back a few $100 for the repair cost after I took it to the auto-shop of his choice. I was still out more money on my end but at least he was a good guy about it which made me really thankful.

You should really have a car looked at first though, to many sketchy/clueless peope selling cars, especially under $5k.

bastardchild
11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
All this over a $1400 car.

:facepalm:

Buyer is complaining about rust issues, welds, coolant leaks, and typical shit that goes wrong on a $1400 beater. FAIL.

mattEG
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Issue is resolved as stated. Luang has made no recompense and isn't legally required to - though he did agree to chuck $200 my way when we were talking about the damage and getting the issue resolved. Props to him on dealing with it like a moral human being.

Shame on me for buying a car on sellers word in a number of areas. Being a fellow that has bought and sold hundreds of used cars (and made it right in situations like this) I should've known better. A deal is a deal however and I'm not going to pursue being an asshole over paypal (though I could've according to the EULA you agree to using paypal). The dispute is lifted on that end too.

Lesson learned on the used car sales laws in this province as well - for those that have gone through AMVIC training what they teach (or what I was taught) was actually wrong when it comes to the interpretation of the fair trade / lemons laws in this province. As/is where/is does mean just that as long as you're a private seller and not a business.

On a side note - the internet hate machine is strong at Beyond. For a conversation between buyer and seller that was nothing but civil the amount of flaming going on by the folks in this thread is nothing short of amazing. :)

heavyD
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Sounds to me like the OP was a little deceptive and likely knew that the car could not pass inspection. In fact I'm willing to bet it failed inspection for him which is why he was selling it in the first place as there's no way an insurance company will insure that car without an inspection.

No sympathy really for both parties as they both fell victim to purchasing a POS car that isn't street legal.

Luang
11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Sounds to me like the OP was a little deceptive and likely knew that the car could not pass inspection. In fact I'm willing to bet it failed inspection for him which is why he was selling it in the first place as there's no way an insurance company will insure that car without an inspection.

No sympathy really for both parties as they both fell victim to purchasing a POS car that isn't street legal.

You are clearly retarded and are just talking out of your ass. It is not required by law to have a safety inspection so companies like state farm and the co-operatives don't require it.

heavyD
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM

You are clearly retarded and are just talking out of your ass. It is not required by law to have a safety inspection so companies like state farm and the co-operatives don't require it.

Where did I say it's required by law? I don't use state farm or the co-operatives so if they run their business like that I suppose I could be wrong there but that seems like unusual practice for an insurance company of all things. However I feel that I am right about you deceiving the buyer.:thumbsup:

mattEG
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Co-operators does require it... or at least my branch does. I've yet to see an insurance company not require an inspection on a vehicle older than 10 years old. If state farm doesn't I might switch as it's a PITA getting all that crap done anyway.

Luang
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm with state farm no inspection

kaput
11-29-2010, 02:16 PM