PDA

View Full Version : Best shop for JDM MR2's in Calgary?

e.widling
11-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey I'm sure this has been asked before but I'll ask again anyways. Where's the best place to bring a JDM MR2 in Calgary for service (general tune ups and whatnot) I'm just looking for a place that has worked on them before and has a good reputation. Where do you guys bring yours?

Thanks!

sr20s14zenki
11-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Any place....working on a jdm is absolutely no different than their lhd counterparts.... especially when dealing with a jdm mr2...which has a usdm counterpart....the mr2 turbo.

When dealing with engines that never existed here, such as the sr20det ,thats a different story...but really, any mechanic can do it if they are armed with the FSM for the car they are working on.

shox
11-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I know of a certain garage in the SW that has been home to a few red MR2 :D

black13
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Any place....working on a jdm is absolutely no different than their lhd counterparts.... especially when dealing with a jdm mr2...which has a usdm counterpart....the mr2 turbo.

When dealing with engines that never existed here, such as the sr20det ,thats a different story...but really, any mechanic can do it if they are armed with the FSM for the car they are working on.

Might be true in an MR2's case but not with my car. Last year when I just needed the fluids changed in my car, two places I called up refused to take it just on the basis that its RHD and "they don't know the engine" and didn't want to be held accountable even though its a 3sgte as well.

Besides wouldn't it be better if someone with experience worked on your car instead of some mechanic who's never touched anything but domestics? Probably charge you way more labor time as well. I've just resorted to doing almost everything myself and learned alot on the way.

e.widling
11-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I know most places would take it, but would you recommend anywhere in specific that has a good reputation or has specific knowledge of MR2's? Or does it not matter.

thanks for the replies thus far by the way.

Redlyne_mr2
11-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by shox
haha to bad they're not for hire.

Stampede Toyota actually has some good technicians working there who know the mr2 including the jdm ones. Their head parts person is also a car guy so he can help source any hard to find parts.

e.widling
11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

haha to bad they're not for hire.

Stampede Toyota actually has some good technicians working there who know the mr2 including the jdm ones. Their head parts person is also a car guy so he can help source any hard to find parts.

Awesome thanks!

Redlyne_jr
11-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by shox

this backyard mechanic is known for jamming out to early 80's Hits and cooking turkey burgers while working on his customers vehicles..