PDA

View Full Version : Withholding Sick Days

AaronK
11-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I am just wondering if it is legal for a boss to withhold sick days from an employee due to the employee refusing to get a flu shot?

speedog
11-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Did you search for either the Alberta Employment Standards or the Canada Labour Code - you should find your answer there depending on whether or not your workplace is provincially or federally regulated.

Tik-Tok
11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Depends on your contract. Do you have one, or at least an employee handbook that states what you're entitled?

If not, I imagine they can with hold sick days, because there's no government legislation involving them. It's a benefit of the job, not a standard.

BlackArcher101
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Tik-Tok is correct afaik. The government doesn't have regulations regarding sick says. It is the employers discretion.

However, that doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. This must be a blanket statement that affects all employees and you can't be singled out alone.

HiTempguy1
11-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

However, that doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. This must be a blanket statement that affects all employees and you can't be singled out alone.

And if it states in your contract how many sick days you get, with no mention of flushots being required, your boss is SOL.

I actually find it a little disturbing your boss would do that. There was a big enough uproar about swine flu and people NOT wanting shots... it just feels a little violating to me, "You MUST have this flu shot or else!"