PDA

View Full Version : Keep SUV or get evo?

Accord_tunerx
11-29-2010, 04:53 AM
so my problem is either keeping my suv the fx45 or getting an evo. any inputs or ideas?

arian_ma
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, what do you use your car for most?

4doorj
11-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Well, what do you use your car for most?
^This
I own both a SUV and evo.
Do you have kids?
Do you plan on having kids.
If so SUV, only because evo has no trunk space.
If not EVO all the way. Love the car!

Phenix
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Instead of an evo maybe look at an STI, get the 5 door then you still have some utility. That's why I'm looking at one instead of an evo

max_boost
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
How about a Ralliart since it has more utility than the Evo. Fold down seats, trunk space etc.

brownboi
11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
i would keep the fx, i think it would be more of a everday use vehicle an something you would be able to drive in winter properly without havin to worry about n e thing going wrong as you would with the evo.

T78Supra1
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I would def keep the FX, not much slower then an evo. Plus you get a 100x better Interior, a touch of luxury and practicality.

heavyD
11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
I would def keep the FX, not much slower then an evo. Plus you get a 100x better Interior, a touch of luxury and practicality.

Ain't no FX in the same ballpark as my mostly stock EVO X on Stg. 2 tune.;) Handling isn't even on same planet.

heavyD
11-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

^This
Do you have kids?

^^^What 4doorj said. The EVO actually has very good back seat room but the trunk doesn't have much room due to the rear mounted battery, washer fluid and S-AWC reserviors. FX45 will always be more comfortable and have a much nicer interior. Fun factor isn't even close though as there aren't any cars in the price range as fun as an EVO X with a tune (stock tune is far too tame).

Accord_tunerx
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM

^This
Do you have kids?

no kids
planing to have kids not at the moment
i dont do alot of traveling, maybe camping once a year, but thats about it.

Accord_tunerx
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
Instead of an evo maybe look at an STI, get the 5 door then you still have some utility. That's why I'm looking at one instead of an evo

honestly, the sti is really nice. but somethignt about teh hatch back doesnt really stand out.

Accord_tunerx
11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
How about a Ralliart since it has more utility than the Evo. Fold down seats, trunk space etc.

its only 225ish hp and its only a hatch back right?

clem24
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
I would def keep the FX, not much slower then an evo.

LOL WTF... There's more to cars than just straight line speed.

heavyD
11-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx

its only 225ish hp and its only a hatch back right?

No you can get them in sedan as well. Keep in mind you can only get the Ralliart with the TC-SST. It's a great transmission but some people still like their standards.

Also keep in mind the EVO has pretty firm suspension. I like the sharp steering and handling but it won't be a comfortable cruizer like your SUV so ensure you can live with the fact that the car doesn't compromise. The Ralliart would be a more comfortable daily driver but performance isn't the same as the EVO in acceleration or handling. It does have the ACD and the AWD system of the EVO IX but not the S-AYC of the EVO X which give the EVO RWD like overdersteer. It's so fun to have the handling reassurance of AWD and the ability to rotate the rear wheels out like an RWD car. My EVO X oversteers more than my MR2 Turbo and at first it's a little unsettling until you get used to it and realize that the AWD system will keep out out of trouble if you push it too far. If you are just driving from home to work this isn't going to be much of a big deal for you so it's up to you to decide if you are going to use the car for it's intended purposes because there are better daily drivers out there.

Accord_tunerx
11-29-2010, 03:38 PM
^ yeah, i agree i like the evo already, its a daily driver to work and back. and track days during summer. as for camping, it shouldnt be a big deal.

hows your evo in winter?

ArjayAquino
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
get an EVO... enjoy it while you don't have kids yet haha

heavyD
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
^ yeah, i agree i like the evo already, its a daily driver to work and back. and track days during summer. as for camping, it shouldnt be a big deal.

hows your evo in winter?

I have winter tires and it's excellent. I just put the differential setting in Snow when it's crappy and have an uneventful drive while watching other people struggle. I remember the ice storm on that Friday night last December where people had to leave their cars at the bottom of hills at Sarcee and Shaganappi in the NW. I just cruised by everyone in like it was dry. Keep in mind AWD cars don't have magical abilies to stop on a dime on ice so you still have to drive with caution but there's nothing in this car that I don't think I could get through providing that ground clearance doesn't get in the way.

4doorj
11-30-2010, 12:24 AM

no kids
planing to have kids not at the moment
i dont do alot of traveling, maybe camping once a year, but thats about it.
Then definitely get the evo then:thumbsup:

Accord_tunerx
11-30-2010, 03:36 AM
okay so the mr vs gsr

heavyd how do you like the auto any regrets?

and 4doorj hows the 5spd?

taemo
11-30-2010, 08:04 AM
OP before settling with an Evo, check the trunk 1st and see if it's still ok with you.
do you golf, snowboard?

if not, not planning to have kids anytime soon, most of the time in the city only then def go for the Evo :thumbsup:

MR vs GSR.. do you want manual or TC-SST.
Personally I had more fun accelerating/going through the gears on the GSR but there's something about the MR that makde me enjoy it more on the turns.
Test drive both and see which 1 fits you best.

heavyD
11-30-2010, 08:24 AM
okay so the mr vs gsr

heavyd how do you like the auto any regrets?

and 4doorj hows the 5spd?

No regrets for me but I've driven manuals for decades and it's nice not to have to work out my left leg in heavy traffic. The MR will make an average driver look more like a track star because in SS mode it upshifts and downshifts are perfectly timed and lightning quick. BMW was so impressed with the EVO's TC-SST that they got Getrag to build the same transmission for the M3.

Some people prefer the more connected feel of the 5 speed and GSR's have more ultimate power potential as there is limits to how much power you can run on the TC-SST and it's the lesser expensive version depending on your money situation.

What's best for me isn't necessarly best for you so I suggest you drive them both, sleep on it then drive them both again to re-evaluate. You want to make sure you get it right the first time.

4doorj
11-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I test drove the MR before I got the GSR. Everything about the MR is better I just couldn't give up driving manual. I'm used to driving hondas so the transmission isn't as smooth as I'm used too.
When I bought my car it was very frustrating because the GSR only came in one way, BASE.
But honestly I'm used to it now and absolutely love the car. Perfect car for canada. It's just as much fun in the winter as it is in the summer.

You can still do most things with the trunk. I still take my daughter with me everywhere, but it's better now because all I need is a umbrella stroller. If I needed to take a full size stroller it wouldn't work. I do everything else in it, grocery shopping, taking my huge gym bag everywhere.

I also found that the rear seats are very roomy compared to other cars in its category.

Accord_tunerx
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
yeah, i was looking at the mr, but it was not mod friendl i heard.
and gsr is 5pd which i really don mind at all.
do you guys both have 3m on your cars? i heard paint chips pretty easy.

and hows gas?

heavyD
11-30-2010, 01:25 PM
yeah, i was looking at the mr, but it was to mod friendl i heard.
and gsr is 5pd which i really don mind at all.
do you guys both have 3m on your cars? i heard paint chips pretty easy.

and hows gas?

3M yes. It's a must on newer Japanese cars using waterbased paint.

Gas mileage is poor but it doesn't get any worse when you tune the car as the stock tune is overly rich.

Accord_tunerx
11-30-2010, 01:30 PM
how much do you get per tank? and the fill price to full?

i only get 500 maybe 550km to a tank in my fx45 but the cost is like 70ish per tank

4doorj
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
3m is a must for me. I have my front section fully done. Including my front bumper, front lip, fenders, hood, mirrors and my rear fenders because rocks get kicked up like crazy there.
Gas mileage sucks, I get about 350 kms a tank costing about 45 dollars to fill.

heavyD
11-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Gas mileage sucks, I get about 350 kms a tank costing about 45 dollars to fill.

^^
This. Also the tank isn't very large so if you drive lots you will frequent the local gas stations. Comes with the territory as the turbocharger on these cars is pretty big compared to the tiny snails that come stock on most cars.

Accord_tunerx
11-30-2010, 04:03 PM
cause i figure i put 250km a week from and to work, thats about it. i rarely go out anywhere else other then superstore which is less then 2kms a away.

heavyD
11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
What color are you looking at? I have Phantom Black and while it looks nice it's incredibly hard to keep clean.

Accord_tunerx
11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
wicked white, or apex silver.
ill wait till the 2011 comes out, i guess nothing i can find in town.
does anyone know when the se will be release here?

4doorj
11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
I believe SE is only for usa. If I remember correctly platinum imported a SE

Accord_tunerx
11-30-2010, 04:20 PM
ah, cant deal with the mph any more. lol
pretty hard to find a used gsr. i might have to wait till next year to get one -_-

carzcraz
11-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Take a look in places like BC as well.

That's where my husband and I found and purchased my WW GSR at Vancouver Mitsu. (only 463 km, MY 2008) a little over a month ago. It still had the original tags from when the original owner took delivery and the new car smell lol!

I thought I would be missing my S2K but I'm LOVING this car. My husband even considered selling his 09 STi to acquire one for himself.

4doorj
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
yeah, i was looking at the mr, but it was not mod friendl i heard.

I think the MR is still pretty mod friendly. The only thing is I don't think it can take is monster HP. So if your just doing stage 2 or something similar I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Accord_tunerx
12-01-2010, 02:58 AM
4doorj - oh i want monster power lol

carzcraz - yeah i am gonna look into that! i wonder if the apex silver is sold at platium!

4doorj
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
4doorj - oh i want monster power lol

carzcraz - yeah i am gonna look into that! i wonder if the apex silver is sold at platium!

Nice!!!! Then GSR it is.
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/ams-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x-cz4a-turbo-kit.html
Here you go ams turbo kits covering anything from 555-950hp

AMS is what ryan gates uses in his time attack car.
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/1November/SEMA/three3.jpg

heavyD
12-01-2010, 09:06 AM
It sure would be nice to have a tuner like AMS within driving distance. I'm thinking about upgrading to the AMS intercooler this spring.

911fever
12-01-2010, 10:25 AM
get the Evo if you don't mind the trunk space and if you don't ski/snowboard/golf/play hockey
lawl

Accord_tunerx
12-01-2010, 11:59 AM
i dont do ski snowboard if anythign i would get a roof rack for that lol

yeah i been reading on ams package 900x lol! i only dream

bituerbo
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Get an EVO. Don't lower it, get good winter tires - you'll notice next to no loss in functionality.

Accord_tunerx
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
dont lower it?

atgilchrist
12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Ground clearance over snow.

atgilchrist
12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Same conundrum for me. I went from a Murano to a GTI, the difference in size hasn't been an issue at all, but it would suck in the winter if it was lowered. Especially considering I'm up to Big White most weekends, and the highway isn't always cleared well.

heavyD
12-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Ground clearance over snow.

I went with Swift Sport springs. It's only a modest 1" drop. No issues so far. It's lower than the average car but not that low that the car is a snow plow. 4doorj is running the Pro-Kits and they are even a lower drop than the Swifts.

Accord_tunerx
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
hows the ride on the swift springs? does it close that wheel gap ?

heavyD
12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
hows the ride on the swift springs? does it close that wheel gap ?

The ride is nearly the same as stock and yes it closes the front wheel gap which is horrible on the MR with the stock Eibach springs. It doesn't look slammed by any means but it gives the car a nicer stance.

Accord_tunerx
12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
beautiful hopefully something nice pops up soon.

how the mr? do you enjoy drivng the auto? over the 5spd?
hows maintaining it? do you lose oil every week? cause of the turbo?

carzcraz
12-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Here's a slightly modded WW GSR for sale.

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?t=126259

Accord_tunerx
12-03-2010, 02:49 AM
^ ahh sweet can you pm that person for me =D and ill send you my email. thanks

heavyD
12-03-2010, 08:22 AM
beautiful hopefully something nice pops up soon.

how the mr? do you enjoy drivng the auto? over the 5spd?
hows maintaining it? do you lose oil every week? cause of the turbo?

Use oil every week? I've never had to add any oil to my car. In fact now I think about it the only cars I ever really needed to top up between oil changes were my Hondas. Subaru turbocharged engines are known to consume oil depending on the brand of oil but that should never be a problem with these cars.

Neil4Speed
12-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Keep the FX in my eyes, Thats a wonderful car and gives you a great balance of practicality. Drives like a great luxury sports car but still very functional in the winter.

Evo's are great too, I mean you are not exactly comparing apples with apples here ha ha.

Accord_tunerx
12-03-2010, 02:45 PM
yeah i know, but i think i made up my mind the fx is up for sale. lol

carzcraz
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
^ ahh sweet can you pm that person for me =D and ill send you my email. thanks

Pm'd you back and pm'd the seller on your behalf too :thumbsup: