PDA

View Full Version : Buick Regal GS..GTP..SSEI etc...

Skrilla
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Wondering if anyone is familiar with these cars...I bought a 2000 Buick Regal GS Supercharged yesterday and would love to know more about the power train and car...I guess its the same as the GTP Grand Prix and Bonneville SSEI

They seem to be very easy to modify, and its actually fairly quick for such a big car. (14sec 1/4 stock) and the ride is great...Just parked my Jetta and so far I am loving it...even though it does have that old person vibe.

Anyone ever owned one? Anything interesting, or something to look out for?

cr-xbrian
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
maybe it does 14.9's

Skrilla
11-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by cr-xbrian
maybe it does 14.9's

typical

Wow...Sorry its not 14 flat...its 14.7

From Wiki

Regal LS and GS performance
The 3800 Series II L67 Supercharged engine in a 1998 GS.

The Regal LS from the factory had a 1/4 mile (~400 m) elapsed time (ET) of 15.8 seconds and could do 0-60 mph in under 8 seconds. The supercharged Regal GS had a 1/4 mile ET of 14.7 seconds, and acceleration to 60 mph (100 km/h) took only 6.6 seconds.[5] The Regal GS, equipped with the supercharged 3.8 liter V6 engine (L67) produced 240 hp (180 kW) & 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m) of torque. The Regal GS's PCM has programming that activates torque management to reduce wheel spin at launch. The Regal LS was EPA rated at 19/30 MPG city/freeway while the supercharged Regal GS was EPA rated at 18/27 MPG city/freeway.

Kloubek
11-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I had a 2001 GTP. Smaller pulley makes a large HP difference by itself, and doesn't require supporting mods.

Surprisingly quick cars for something so heavy and dare I say, subtle.

Watch out for leaking valve covers - there is a recall for this I would check with your dealer about.

Skrilla
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I had a 2001 GTP. Smaller pulley makes a large HP difference by itself, and doesn't require supporting mods.

Surprisingly quick cars for something so heavy and dare I say, subtle.

Watch out for leaking valve covers - there is a recall for this I would check with your dealer about.

Any info on a good aftermarket perf site? I heard ZZP is decent...

Also what size is good to drop to?

corsvette
11-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I owned a 1998 SSEi for a bit. Make sure the supercharger oil is up and clean, thats important. Take the factory airbox out and gut it, they are full of baffles to mask the s/c whine, this makes the whine much more noticeable and is said to give a few more hp.

The powertain is very dependable and will last a long time if well maintained. I never had any problems with mine mechanicly. The Regal imo is by far the best looking out of all those models

Anomaly
11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Nice sleeper cars, especially the Regal. The 3800 is a pretty tough motor, the weak point in those cars once you start modifying them is going to be the Transmission...

YamahaV8
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
My dad has a 98 gtp. He had to put a new steering rack in which wasn't cheap but other than that it currently has 240,000km and it still hauls ass. Definitely replace your supercharger oil annually if you plan on dropping the pulley size. Flush your tranny every 1-2 years as well. The only other thing I can think of is the IM to CH gasket is made of a material that coolant slowly eats away at. This is a common problem with all these 3.8 v6 engines. If you notice that your coolant level is dropping but can't seem to tell why then get this gasket replaced. Other than that they are very strong and reliable engines.

Kloubek
12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla

Any info on a good aftermarket perf site? I heard ZZP is decent...

Also what size is good to drop to?

I'm sure there are lots of manufacturers out there. I bought mine with the pulley already installed.

You're probably going to be looking for a 3.4 pulley. Any smaller than that and I believe the hp gains get offset by the extra heat. And the advice on the intake is a good one too... this is one of the cars where it really does make a difference.