PDA

View Full Version : End of semester procrastination

polarice
11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Is anyone else having a ridiculously hard time finishing out this semester?

I have two term papers due this week, and next week that I haven't even started. Just lacking the motivation to do anything beforehand/can't bother to write things more than an hour before they're due. My classes that do have finals instead of term papers are all take home exams which is even worse for the motivation factor.

Any keeners that always have stuff done well before its due? What does that feel like? lol

magicalpoop
11-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Yah I just blew two days playing GT5 and Black Ops.

Uh you might be feeling burnt out. If you have the time to spare, you should take a "day off" . Catch up on any sleep you're missing on, do whatever the hell you want to do for yourself for a day and forget about everything.

I find that when I procrastinate, I end up just surfing the net or doing something "not fun". For example, I'll go on my computer and read stupid articles or go clean my room/house. Just to avoid doing my HW...

When in fact, I could've just said "Screw this. I'm going out today" or etc.

So after your 1 day vacation or w/e, you need do "one thing" at a time if you have severe procrastination.
That is, forget the other shit and just concentrate on one thing. Procrastinators tend to overload or view everything as a collusal cluster f-#%k of stuff. That doesn't help.

Just focus on one thing.

But in the end, it comes down to you. Good luck man, it's basically December. Finals.... :guns:

KO22
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm procrastinating right now.. 3 papers due within this week, already couple days late on my econ assingment.. gotta do a couple online quizes.. NO motivation oh mah gawd what the hell do you guys do to try to overcome this, been struggling with this since high school.. end up doing homework at like 1 am and stay up till 4am WhAthEFUx!

~Leah~
11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat, but mostly because it is my last semester and I've already secured my awesome internship in January and just can't wait to get started on that.

2 10 page papers due by tomorrow at 1pm. Work til 5:30. Pick up child, make dinner, etc, get him to bed... 10pm start. 7am Student Society meeting. Work 8am-noon tomorrow... ohhh boy I'm f'd. lol Plus a 30% presentation on Thursday I likely won't begin until Wednesday.... F MEEEEEE

CMW403
11-29-2010, 06:51 PM
haha it's always nice knowing there are people out there in a much worse position than you.

thanks guys!

KO22
11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
^ lol

dandia89
11-29-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty worried about this manufacturing course I'm taking. there has been little to none work for the semester and I have a 50% final coming up based on a 600 page textbook.

KandabashiDevil
11-30-2010, 12:30 AM
I used to have this problem. Took me some time to figure out that I truly didn't give a shit about what I was doing in University.

If you honestly don't have any motivation to do the work, then you shouldn't be doing it at all. Find something you enjoy that isn't torture to work through. I wasted ALOT of time & money figuring this out for myself! Once you get into something that interests you, completing assignments and getting good grades is simple and satisfying.

polarice
11-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Nice to see some other people in the same spot.

This is my last semester and I do feel burnt out and have a lack of motivation. At this point I could not hand in any term papers or finals and get Cs. Cs get degrees right?

Don't get me wrong... I am passionate about what I am learning but it can be really draining. I will also blame working 4 days a week (10 hour shifts) and going to school the other 3. Oh well. t minus 14 days and its all over!

Leah, I couldn't imagine doing work/school and having a child. More props to you if you're single to boot.

Good luck everyone!

Boat
11-30-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm in the same "boat" =)

I have 3 papers due next week.
I severely lack motivation, and in business it kills me for courses like accounting that I have a hard time with. Generally you can survive with procrastination techniques, as long as you take 3-4 courses. Anything more than that, tasks and assignments start to overlap.

C's do get degrees but if you want to get that summer student position, it will be tough as that is one of their criteria for hiring.

I have had a few glimmers of getting work done early, and it acutally does feel awesome and it give you time to do spontaneous things with friends and family.

Type_S1
11-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Happening right now..

I have a term paper due tomorrow at 9am and I wasted my weekend away. I'm doing my final editting on it which I fully wrote today :facepalm:
My Brain feels dead right now...

Good thing it is for an option haha

turbotrip
11-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by dandia89
I'm pretty worried about this manufacturing course I'm taking. there has been little to none work for the semester and I have a 50% final coming up based on a 600 page textbook.

open book/notes? if you have the older textbook for the course the final is almost half straight out of it.
if its open notes i have a summary sheet that has helped many generations pass the course

Neil4Speed
11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
I had some pretty bad procrastination problems until I read Brian Tracy's - Eat that Frog. Gave me a few really applicable tips to help my efficiency in going through with my work. The book was pretty short and helpful, but if you don't feel like reading it. The principles are right here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Book-Notes,-A-Book-Summary-on-the-Book-Eat-That-Frog-by-Brian-Tracy&id=2047222

dandia89
11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

open book/notes? if you have the older textbook for the course the final is almost half straight out of it.
if its open notes i have a summary sheet that has helped many generations pass the course
closed book and closed notes. any sunmarys would be sweet ill pm ya

KO22
11-30-2010, 11:53 AM
procrastination, and not bothering for my econ midterm landed me a b+ on my econ midterm mark which i got back today.. successss hahahahaha :clap: :clap:

almerick
11-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I had some pretty bad procrastination problems until I read Brian Tracy's - Eat that Frog. Gave me a few really applicable tips to help my efficiency in going through with my work. The book was pretty short and helpful, but if you don't feel like reading it. The principles are right here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Book-Notes,-A-Book-Summary-on-the-Book-Eat-That-Frog-by-Brian-Tracy&id=2047222

The irony here is I'll read this list later...

KO22
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
^ hhahah

Tomaz
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Remember:

Procrastination is like masturbation: It feels good at first, but in the end you just fucked yourself.

cycosis
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Used to do this all the time. Im wicked prepared for my last round of exams before I graduate. I had to be. Ive got a final next wednesday, two thursday, and two the following tuesday. Fuck me but my notes are done, it truly is an amazing feeling despite the odd panic attack for no good reason. :D

t-im
11-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Remember:

Procrastination is like masturbation: It feels good at first, but in the end you just fucked yourself.
Exactly. For everyone who sits on a paper until the last minute, try this - I always started my papers a month in advance (usually after midterms), by just having a word doc open on my laptop at all times and just writing a few paragraphs here and there, until maybe 2 weeks before the due date. By then I'd have a fair amount of my paper done and lots to work with.

polarice
11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by t-im

Exactly. For everyone who sits on a paper until the last minute, try this - I always started my papers a month in advance (usually after midterms), by just having a word doc open on my laptop at all times and just writing a few paragraphs here and there, until maybe 2 weeks before the due date. By then I'd have a fair amount of my paper done and lots to work with.

If this wasn't my last semester I would try this strategy. Hell, I will give it a go until the 13th. Although, word makes my Mac run a little slow-- actually everything is making it slow (less than 1GB of space and its 4yrs old, time for an upgrade).

I just got back a term paper for my Middle Eastern politics class that I finished writing 15 minutes before the PoliSci office closed... made it up with 3 minutes to spare. The best part? I got an A! Feels good and slightly reinforces my bad habits . Or, it could be that after 4 years in undergrad I finally have a handle on concepts and can spit out intelligible papers on command. :burnout:

Does UofC do weekend finals too? I always found those really messed with my mentality.

rufi0
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm cool with procrastination as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I'm stuck in a group with a fucker who refuses to do any work at all :facepalm: Group projects make me angry sometimes :banghead:

polarice
11-30-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm cool with procrastination as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. I'm stuck in a group with a fucker who refuses to do any work at all Group projects make me angry sometimes

Fortunately, my degree hasn't required a lot of group work, but when stuck in the situation I put my procrastination aside. If someone is doing zero work, then give them the ultimatum: want a grade? Participate. Don't care? Then take the zero.

diamondedge
11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by polarice

Does UofC do weekend finals too? I always found those really messed with my mentality.

Sure do. My course lectures aren't on the weekends but I have one final scheduled for a Saturday. However, my school weeks are truly 7 day weeks, with short rests in between. I'm done procrastinating as soon as I hit Submit Reply.