PDA

View Full Version : Crew truck driver for the rigs

SkittleFreak
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I've been roughneckin for about 3 months now and I've been given the opportunity to just be a crew truck driver. Pay is almost the same. Anyone know anything of this job?

Aerobat
11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
gay...tough it out princess...

Pinner
12-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Crew normally has their own truck or 2, I can't see how you could work a full day driving a crew truck.

SKR
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
From what I can tell it's not a particularly hard job. You have to go out at 7am, noon, 7pm and midnight so you'll keep odd hours. And on crew change if they're flying in you'll have to take them to the airport. Maybe you'd have to go to town to get freight, but maybe not, I don't know.

For the rest of the day you'll probably be sitting in camp watching your dick get smaller. You'll make friends with the cooks and campy, and you'll all become weirdos being cooped up in camp all day every day.

But it pays better than the amount of effort you have to put in.

Supa Dexta
12-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I thought the leasehand did this? Cause its retard work.

Pinner
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SKR

But it pays better than the amount of effort you have to put in.

Depends if you want to be/do something w/your life, reminds me of the other thread. (slacker medic)

"Easiest job" is NOT what you should be aiming for unless your all beat up and physically challenged.

Reading between the lines here; Maybe you haven't balled up to the job yet and they're getting rid of you.

Life's full of decisions, ball up and stay on the crew, or drive the crew truck like a pussy, because that's the way you will be treated. Just sayin.

Muji
12-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I thought the leasehand did this? Cause its retard work.

True, I did this for a summer when I was fresh out of HS, drove a truck and was the retarded lease hand. Best summer job really before university, but as a longterm career move? No.

Rat Fink
12-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Supa Dexta
12-03-2010, 08:03 AM
It almost sounds like he isn't hacking it as a roughy, but they are hard up for guys? :dunno: Why would a company want a good roughneck to go drive the truck?

chathamf
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Haha, oh well I'd say take the job unless he plans on making a career out of it. Get paid basically the same as he would roughnecking, and don't gotta get screamed at and muddy all day? I'd accept being classified as the bitch of the rig if I got to sleep all day at camp while everyones slaving at the rig. Haha. Then again I worked on the rigs to get a pay check with no intentions of staying for any period of time.

If you want a career in the rigs though, don't take the job, and step your game up at work and put out like a muthafucka!

Supa Dexta
12-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't care what he does either way. I'm just surprised they made 'crew driver' an actual position.

But then again, some rigs have a zoom boom rented on site every day to take the lunch box to the dog house. :rofl:

chathamf
12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I don't care what he does either way. I'm just surprised they made 'crew driver' an actual position.

But then again, some rigs have a zoom boom rented on site every day to take the lunch box to the dog house. :rofl:

Haha, yea I cant believe they have a crew truck driver either. That would make it pretty crowded in the truck as well eh? 5 workers plus the driver?

And what rigs have the zoom booms? Maybe I can make a return to the patch..haha.

ExtraSlow
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I've hired a dedicated crew truck driver for a couple of my rigs in the past. Only makes sense if you are a long way from camp. Don't want guys getting off a 12 hours shift and having to drive another 90 minutes to camp.
Sent the guy to town a couple of time to pick up freight as well. Save a few hot shot bills and you start to see the value.

Agree though, what's the motivation for the drilling contractor to give you this job? Either a) you aren't hacking it as a roughneck, or b) they are hoping you'll quit.

SkittleFreak
12-03-2010, 05:34 PM
They have no intention of getting rid of me. It's not even on my crew that has the position. I enjoy roughnecking but I want some free time to get some personal things done. I'm not making a career out of rigging. I'm here for money. If I can make the same amount and do fuck all i would take it.

Hamann
12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak
They have no intention of getting rid of me. It's not even on my crew that has the position. I enjoy roughnecking but I want some free time to get some personal things done. I'm not making a career out of rigging. I'm here for money. If I can make the same amount and do fuck all i would take it.

If your just in it for the money and not looking to make a career out of it why the fuck not. It's close to the same money and no-where near the amount of work, with the bonus of not having to be out in the fucking cold all day.

Only thing you need to make sure is that you have thick enough skin to take the jokes the guys on the crews are going to be throwing at you.

SkittleFreak
12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
nothing worse then the jokes I already deal with haha.