PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarm/Starter Help

cidley69
11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
A few years back I had a DSE 800 (brand/model) alarm/starter installed from a beyond member named 12V.

It works excellently for years. Now it seems to be crapping out, or at least it needs help.

Something to do with the recent cold snap, or possible the remote is going bad. I personally thing there is something wrong with the receiver antenna, as the remote works if I hold it directly on the antenna.

Is there anyone that can help me trouble shoot the old alarm?

Or, as a last resort help hook me up with an install on a new alarm/starter? Looking for something bare-bones, just a blinking light on the dash and a remote starter for cold days.

Vehicle is a 2003 Dodge Dakota (automatic).

Thanks!

TE4MFaint
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM
You basically just trouble shot it yourself.
Try replacing the battery in the remote if you havent already, but if its a range issue its either the remote or the antenna my friend.

cidley69
11-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the tip. The original remote battery lasted for 5 years, I just replaced it a few months ago. So the new battery being dead already doesn't seem right.

If it is the actual remote, do they sell replacements for my old alarm, or are there such things as "universals" for alarms?

As for the antenna being bad, is there a way to replace the antenna on an old alarm system like this? are they a common part for many alarms,or brand specific?

anyone have a spare antenna they'd part with?

cidley69
11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
I am also looking for an alarm/starter for a 2002 Toyota Rav4 (manual).

Anyone on here be willing to install one privately? Can you recommend an inexpensive one, or have one to sell?

There is nothing expensive in the Rav to protect, just a stock stereo. Looking for more of a starter really, but would like the deterrent of the blinking light on the dash.

I noticed DSE Canada Inc. still makes/sells alarms. Anyone have recent experience with this brand? are they still a good deal?