PDA

View Full Version : 94 ST205 Toyota Celica FT-four JDM import clutch work?

Whitie_Bear
11-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Guys,

does anyone with a Toyota Celica St205 GT4 know where a good shop is for work on the car? I have some clutch slippage and would like to have a shop change it that has done one before or is familiar with the car

and yes ive treid Toyota, they dont instill confidence in me that they can accomplish the job without any F, ups

the 94 gt-four has the 3rd gen of the 3sgte, (not the 2nd gen like in our MR2 turbos)

changing the clutch requires removal of the engine, or super skillz if you can do one with engine in the car...11 hours book time from toyota europe

and yes getting the parts is no problem, just finding someone who i trust to do the labour

texasnick
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
VEX Performance in Red Deer are the only guys I would let touch my car. They've got a few GT-Fours and are quite knowledgeable around them.

I gaurantee the techs at Toyota have never worked on an st205. I wouldn't use Toyota for anything but parts.

There is also this South African guy that does a lot of work at U Wrench who has worked on st205's. He did a bunch of work for another local 205 owner, and I think he used to own one back in the day. His name is Andre. Nice guy....seems knowledgeable, but I've never used him to do any work, so I can't really vouche.

Whitie_Bear
11-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Andre is my mechanic :) but you cant do an 11 hour job in a u wrench...well i dont want to anyways as theres no real security...maybe once i get my garage ill get Andre to do it for me

hes looked into the clutch change but never done one yet, crazy how names travel by word of mouth, hes done all my work on the 180 that i couldnt do myself (or didnt want to :) )

texasnick
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
haha he's a great guy. I go to U wrench quite a bit, so we always chat about turbo jap cars. It's cool to see an older guy into all the cars I was into as a kid.

I bet you and Andre could get 'er done in a weekend on a pretty laxed schedule. Are you planning on doing anything else while the engine and trans are out?

Not sure how the logistics would work for you, but it might be worth giving Johnny at Vex a call. Their customer service is top-notch in my books.

sr20s14zenki
12-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by texasnick
haha he's a great guy. I go to U wrench quite a bit, so we always chat about turbo jap cars. It's cool to see an older guy into all the cars I was into as a kid.

I bet you and Andre could get 'er done in a weekend on a pretty laxed schedule. Are you planning on doing anything else while the engine and trans are out?

Not sure how the logistics would work for you, but it might be worth giving Johnny at Vex a call. Their customer service is top-notch in my books.

Haha Andre is totally cool. When he saw my hoodie that says "Sr20det, owning you since 1991" he had a chuckle. We were arguing last time i was there as to weather my front diff was fucked, or my transfer case. Turned out to be my front driveshaft :nut: