PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between a Double Major and a Combined Major

Weapon_R
01-05-2004, 09:34 AM
U of C students, please help me sort this out...

Gainsbarre
01-05-2004, 10:02 AM
A double major is two majors within the same faculty. For example, a double major would be a BA in Philosophy and a BA in English. Both disciplines are in the Faculty of Humanities, so this would be considered a double major.

A 'combined major'? :dunno:

Do you mean a collaborative program such as a BA in East Asian Studies (one degree program with classes in several different faculties)? Or are you talking about a joint degree, such as a BA in Economics and a BComm in Finance (two degrees from two separate faculties)?

thich
01-05-2004, 10:19 AM
you can't do a BA in Econ and BComm in Finance at the UoC lol.

but yeah, double major is in the same faculty and the joint degrees are different.
Joint degrees are on a per-faculty basis.
such as BComm, u can do a joint degree with a Humanities program, Computer Science program or the Engineering program.
(those are the ones i remember)

Gainsbarre
01-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Actually, you can do a BComm in finance and a BA in econ..that's what I'm doing right now. You just can't do a BComm with a minor in econ.

max_boost
01-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Actually, you can do a BComm in finance and a BA in econ..that's what I'm doing right now. You just can't do a BComm with a minor in econ. That's what I thought because my insurance agent graduated from the U of C two years ago with Finance and Economics:D