PDA

View Full Version : Mud flaps, saving winshields since FOREVER!

kvg
12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Is there a reason tons of people don't put mud flaps on? On my compact car I have some on, but cars and trucks every where don't have any on. With all the gravel on the roads it will save your paint and other peoples paint and windshields. :dunno:
http://proflaps.com/assets/lifted.jpg
http://www.hategun.com/blog/images/mudflaps.jpg
http://www.sarcasticmyspace.com/graphics/blakkfrogg/comments155/pics_flash-me-trucker-mud-flap.jpg

Xtrema
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Why did you start 2 thread and where's the poll?

CMW403
why two threads?

kvg
2?

hampstor
12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
The mudflaps in the picture you provided are at least 1/2 foot off the ground and if you check in the winter driving thread, won't save your windshield.

IMHO the only thing that works to save your windshield is to leave a larger distance between you and the vehicle infront of you. Unfortunately with people here, if you leave a larger distance someone will just cut in and your windshield gets fucked.

For the record, my truck is stock height with the factory mudflaps and they're about 1/2 foot off the ground. I can still shoot snow/mud in an arc enough to cake the bottom of my bumper with it.

Xtrema
12-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Until you get flaps that touch the ground, rocks will fly.

And IMO, not many cars looks good rocking mud flaps.

M.alex
12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
The mudflaps in the picture you provided are at least 1/2 foot off the ground and if you check in the winter driving thread, won't save your windshield.

IMHO the only thing that works to save your windshield is to leave a larger distance between you and the vehicle infront of you. Unfortunately with people here, if you leave a larger distance someone will just cut in and your windshield gets fucked.

For the record, my truck is stock height with the factory mudflaps and they're about 1/2 foot off the ground. I can still shoot snow/mud in an arc enough to cake the bottom of my bumper with it.

I disagree - the only way to prevent windshield damage is driving closer - atleast then the rocks strike the bumper instead of the windshield.

EVERY damn crack I got on a windshield was from when I had signifigant gap between me and the car that chucked the rock at my windshield.

Atleast that's been my theory.

kvg
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
They won't stop all the rocks from flying, but it does make a difference to vehicles behind you. Most people have them on their trucks, its the ones that don't that murder the cars behind them when rocks are on the road. I think cars should use them too, my car is low and I still put some on not to be a hypocrite.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/2cd30d46.jpg

hampstor
12-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

I disagree - the only way to prevent windshield damage is driving closer - atleast then the rocks strike the bumper instead of the windshield.

EVERY damn crack I got on a windshield was from when I had signifigant gap between me and the car that chucked the rock at my windshield.

You drive like a douchebag - your definition of leaving a larger distance is a lot different than mine.

kvg
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM

You drive like a douchebag - your definition of leaving a larger distance is a lot different than mine.
:rofl: :rofl:

M.alex
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM

1 - I have 0 at-fault accidents and 0 tickets in ?12-14?yrs of driving. Clearly I don't drive like a douchebag :nut:

2 - I was thinking a 5-6car gap as 'large'

supe
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I think if you actually appreciate your car, thinking about rocks hitting your bumper isnt much better, especially after I had to replace my fog light last year.

Benny
12-01-2010, 02:29 PM
And the poll is where...?

When I had my truck I rocked mudflaps. I really don't think they do much though. Any guy with a truck can pin it and spit gravel and rocks and shit everywhere.

hampstor
12-01-2010, 02:30 PM

1 - I have 0 at-fault accidents and 0 tickets in ?12-14?yrs of driving. Clearly I don't drive like a douchebag :nut:

2 - I was thinking a 5-6car gap as 'large'

re: #1) Your definition of douchebag is also different than mine.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/299855/douchebag-driving-or-acceptable/

Re: #2) 3-4 seconds behind the car infront is 'larger distance' for me.

ercchry
12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
the only solution to calgary's rock flinging problem is for the fucking city to SAND the roads in the winter.

but here is a thread about the legalities of mudflaps

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/321975/whats-the-law-on-tires-sticking-out-past-fenders/

Anomaly
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't have any on my truck, they look like shit.
:D

Everlast
12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Unless your mud flaps are clean and devoid of rocks after you drive, I would think they do help and block an appreciable amount of damage.

n1zm0
12-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Anomaly

to each their own, but i dont understand this mentality for ppl in this city, to 'look good' on the road during a CGY winter is beyond me (like using 30 series sidewalls + 18 inch rims on your car in the winter), everything on the road is crap for a good 5-7 months of the year, who cares about what your car looks like when its going to be covered in slush and dirt as soon as you pull out from the wash bay.

kvg
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM

:facepalm: Really?

ddduke
12-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Feel the same way, but I got pulled over for them so I bought 7inch solid ones. They look like they're part of my fender flares and don't dangle 3 feet so I'm fine with them.

M.alex
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM

re: #1) Your definition of douchebag is also different than mine.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/299855/douchebag-driving-or-acceptable/

Re: #2) 3-4 seconds behind the car infront is 'larger distance' for me.

I still stand by my opinion for 1 - it's a lane. I'm going to use it if it's safe to merge into it. Just because people feel the need to sit in the lefthand lane for 20minutes to get through that area doesn't mean I will.

It's like the merge from anderson onto macleod trail going south (by southcentre). The merge lane goes all the way to the fricken traffic light (by advantage ford). I'm apparently a "bad driver" because I won't slam on my brakes and franctically signal to move over as soon as the merge lane opens onto Mcleod; instead, I take the lane to the end, or near the end.

ercchry
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM

... instead, I take the lane to the end, or near the end.

or some times past it....

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Now, to be fair, sometimes I deserve it - like yesterday I came plowing down the right-most lane in my corvette, 2nd gear, banging off 5000RPM as everybody else was stopped, drove all the way to the underpass; nobody wanted to let me in so I proceeded to drive on the shoulder, rev up to 6600RPM to startle traffic and force my way in well after the underpass. (so basically i was driving on the shoulder pretty much from where the off-ramp ends all the way to where traffic begins to merge off southland :rofl: )That I classify as douchebag driving :rofl:

Cos
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Xtrema
Until you get flaps that touch the ground, rocks will fly.

And IMO, not many cars looks good rocking mud flaps.

+1 end thread

rage2
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM

That's my theory too. All my rock chips is from when I'm at least 4-5 car lengths behind. If I'm within 2 car lengths behind, my vinyl on my bumper takes it.

kvg
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
The people saying mud flaps don't work have trucks that sit high and have "less" of a chance of getting rock chips in their windshilds. Once again its not just trucks.

BrknFngrs
12-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by kvg
The people saying mud flaps don't work have trucks that sit high and have "less" of a chance of getting rock chips in their windshilds. Once again its not just trucks.

Agreed completely.

People can't honestly believe that mud flaps provide no significant benefit in reducing rocks for the people behind you. I understand that it won't completely stop rocks from coming up but it sure makes a big difference. My Rally Armor's catch all kinds of crap that kicks off my wheels.

K3RMiTdot
12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
i have my front ones, but my rear ones got taken off when i put my lip on, other wise id probably stil have them on

M.alex
12-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

or some times past it....

yea, well, sometimes circumstances dictate that must happen :angel:

Iqoair
12-01-2010, 11:16 PM
For out of province vehicle inspections, if a truck doesn't have mud flaps that drop to the center of the axles it fails. This doesn't apply to cars / suvs.

911fever
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
driving closer always helped me avoid rock chips. 4-5 car lengths was the worst, i always got a chipped windshield then...

jsn
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
it's a good thing subarus look so damn good with mudflaps :D

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5890/dsc42891.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/i/dsc42891.jpg/)

ddduke
12-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
driving closer always helped me avoid rock chips. 4-5 car lengths was the worst, i always got a chipped windshield then...

I'd probably rather keep my distance and get rock chips then rear end someone.

A couple months ago a kid actually came to a complete stop from 80km/h on lower springbank road because my lights were bothering him.

FraserB
12-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

I'd probably rather keep my distance and get rock chips then rear end someone.

A couple months ago a kid actually came to a complete stop from 80km/h on lower springbank road because my lights were bothering him.

You probably need more then. The only acceptable amount of light on the front of a modified truck is an amount that will enable you to read a newspaper held by the driver of the other vehicle.

Over 1.5 million candle power on the front end does the job pretty well.;)