PDA

View Full Version : Got a Ticket... Have a question...Not the usual ones though...

project240
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Back in August I was on my way home to Saskatchewan and got a speeding ticket... because I was speeding (lol).

Went ahead and paid the ticket. Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from Alberta Justice. Says my name on it, the original offense date, amount I paid, location ,etc.

It then says "Disposition of Case - Ticket Quashed" followed by "Purpose of Cheque - Refund Fine Payment"

Attached to the bottom is a cheque for the original amount I paid.

Now, obviously I'm not complaining, I just don't understand why I got the refund almost six months AFTER paying the fine.

Anyone shed some insight?

Kennyredline
12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
1) WHO CARES?? lol
2) Keep EVERYTHING that you got in the mail.:thumbsup:

Pahnda
12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Because the government, at any level, is a slow and inefficient mess?

revelations
12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Someone screwed up. Probably a paperwork issue (or lack of perhaps).

It takes a long time for the government to process anything, 6mo. isnt that bad.

Kloubek
12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
^ Exactly. You're dealing with the government. If you have money coming back to you, you better believe it will take some time.

Merry Christmas.

Tomaz
12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Take it and run!

The timeframe is about right. It takes a long time for the government to process anything really.

Feruk
12-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Did you get a follow up letter in the mail when you first got the ticket? My guess is the officer gave you the ticket and forgot to submit it in. You paid, but the ticket was never put into the system.

project240
12-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Someone screwed up. Probably a paperwork issue (or lack of perhaps).

It takes a long time for the government to process anything, 6mo. isnt that bad.

This was my initial thought as well.

project240
12-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Did you get a follow up letter in the mail when you first got the ticket? My guess is the officer gave you the ticket and forgot to submit it in. You paid, but the ticket was never put into the system.

No follow up letter and the letter I did get had very little information on it... but I do like the attached cheque... :D

Disoblige
12-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I would have loved to have received this letter when I paid my ticket from Ponoka!!

spikerS
12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
yeah, something probably happened. laser gun was later found to be defective, ticket was not submitted, later found the officer did not have some specific type of training, goofed up ticket, who knows.

it is nice you got the cheque back. I still remember when a cow was found in Alberta to have BSE, and Ralph Kieln mused that the farmer should have "shut up and dug".

BerserkerCatSplat
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by spikers
I still remember when a cow was found in Alberta to have BSE, and Ralph Kieln mused that the farmer should have "shut up and dug".

"Shoot, shovel, and shut up." Classic!

spikerS
12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

"Shoot, shovel, and shut up." Classic!

That's it. I could not remember the exact phrase he used.