PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Desk Technician - Alberta College of Art + Design

Lagerstatten.ca
12-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey Beyonders,

Update: http://www.acad.ab.ca/computer_help_desk_technician_dec6.html

The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) is looking for a entry level Computer Help Desk Technician to join their Computing + Technical Services (C+TS) Team starting late December, or in the New Year.

They have not posted the job competition on their site yet but it will be up shortly. I am the outgoing technician but I've agreed to assist ACAD in finding someone to transition into that position before I depart.

If you're interested here are some details about the position:

Role:

You'll the main contact for all things technical related at ACAD. This will include everything from resetting account passwords to taking apart Mac/PC computers and bringing them back from the dead.

Duties:
-reset network/email passwords
-resolve common mac/pc software issues pertaining to the OS, Adobe Creative Suite, Office Suites, etc
-diagnose and troubleshoot various hardware issues on both Mac and PC hardware. The majority of equipment are less than 4 years old, but you will be dealing with 80% Mac and they range from old iMac G4 (lamp style) to brand new unibody Macbook Pros.
-maintain the copy room and all network printers on campus. Make sure they have supplies (toner, paper) and that there is a good amount of stock on hand.
-create, maintain, deploy images to Mac/PC computers.
-monitor software assets and licenses (using Sassafras Keyserver)
-etc

You will be there to provide technical support to a community of about 1400 people (100 staff, 100 faculty, 1200 students). Some require more help than others but you will assist them with a genuine interest in helping them and teaching them at the same time. The people working and attending ACAD are great to work with. Every day is definitely different with all the students presenting/performing their work all around campus.

So if you love computers (especially Mac's), are comfortable working in Active Directory and have the drive and ambition to provide an unmatched technical service experience to whoever comes to you then drop me a PM or email.

You can email me your resume/cover letter to thinhthang (at) gmail.com if you want me to go over it for you.

This is a great entry level position and you work college hours and get all the regular student holidays off (xmas, reading week). Very relaxed atmosphere compared to the private sector.

Thanks!

sputnik
12-02-2010, 08:06 AM
What does the job pay?

I might know a couple of people that would be interested.

Lagerstatten.ca
12-02-2010, 09:25 AM
The position will fall under the AUPE union and pay starts at around $48K/year.

Due note that most likely the position will be on a "permanent part time" basis, so you'll be working only during the school year. The college does however have the option to extend you during the summer, or change your position to full time if they want. I was extended this past summer and was being changed to full time for the summer of 2011.

Lagerstatten.ca
12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
The position and details have been posted on the ACAD website: http://www.acad.ab.ca/computer_help_desk_technician_dec6.html

Grogador
12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
temping just for the scenery :poosie:

Afrodeziak
12-06-2010, 04:43 PM
So 48/k with summers off?

ercchry
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
The position will fall under the AUPE union and pay starts at around $48K/year.

Due note that most likely the position will be on a "permanent part time" basis, so you'll be working only during the school year. The college does however have the option to extend you during the summer, or change your position to full time if they want. I was extended this past summer and was being changed to full time for the summer of 2011.

so summer is 4 months right? so if they extend you that is about $62k a year? ...pretty damn good entry level job!

Lagerstatten.ca
12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
No I wish it was $48k for the 8 months. It's $48k if you work the full year, so if you work just the 8 months then it's 2/3 of that $48k.

Lagerstatten.ca
12-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Position filled. Looks like it was another Beyond member (Dren) that got the spot.

Beyond FTW again!