PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Douchebag!

codetrap
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
So, the douche canoe in question is a red right hand drive JDM (I'm guessing) with a burnt out rear left taillight and an enlarged exhaust. The taillights are the round ones, and there's only 3 instead of 4. You raced along from downtown along memorial drive at around 9ish tonight, and then exited onto deerfoot north. Then you decided for fun to put the pedal to the metal on the off ramp. That's not the douche part though, but really, my 4 door diesel station wagon had no problem keeping up with you while accelerating, so you're really not "all that".

However, this is where the fun begins. You must have noticed me booting along behind you in the left lane, because you then decided to break out the total douche kit and pretended you were in nascar. You proceeded to change lanes hard and fast into the centre, accelerate hard then weave through a almost too narrow opening to the furthermost left lane, proceeding to cut off the van as you narrowly missed the jimmy ahead of you in the center lane.

Now, you're probably wondering by now why I'm posting this, well, the fun part of this excitement is that you obviously didn't pay attention to what was going on around you. When you weaved really hard and fast to the right that very first time, you scared the toyota that was in the 3rd from left lane. That driver, apparently not aware that Mario Andretti was on the road, overreacted to this car coming over too fast.

She hit the brakes thinking you were coming all the way over. She didn't smoke the brakes, and she retained traction, but the person behind her wasn't paying so much attention. However, his reflexes were pretty good, and he managed to avoid the toyota by veering quickly into the right hand lane that exits onto 32nd.

The minivan behind him wasn't so quick. It got scared, locked her brakes up, and went into the rhubarb. I saw it's taillights go around once before I was out of the area. I'm not sure if that van stayed upright or not, because I was concentrating on keeping out of the whole mess.

This all happened in the space of about 5 seconds. I then watched you continue your general douche driving all the way up past 64th where I exited to wash my Jetta.

So, if you're on here, or you know of this guy, please kick him squarely in the nuts, because he really deserves it. You're goddamn lucky I didn't get your plate, otherwise you'd be talking with some officers tonight. I'm not sure what you could be charged with, but I would certainly have taken the time off to testify against you.

FraserB
12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I still don't understand why people think that other people will be impressed by their "hella sick skillz".:rolleyes:

Getting his plate would have been awesome. Stunting, some sort of reckless driving, possibly leaving the scene of an accident.

Unknown303
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Pics or this thread should be closed.

Jetta-2.0
12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Pics or this thread should be closed.

:werd: he saw all that in 5 secs but didnt get his plate :facepalm: :closed:

Unknown303
12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah my bad. Maybe a little harsh but I get tired of bitching threads. They are kind of everywhere.

codetrap
12-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Sorry. I'll go and buy a dash cam so that I can record every minute of driving from now on. I kind of figured that based on the car being a sporty rhd with 1 taillight burnt out on the left hand side, an enlarged exhaust, that someone here would know of it already.

I'll also make sure in the future I endanger myself and my family in the car trying to take a photo of said car while he's driving in a very dangerous manner.

Modelexis
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
did the tails look like this?

http://www.ssip.net/upload/toyota-supra-turbo-back-3_111.jpg

cjay^
12-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
did the tails look like this?

http://www.ssip.net/upload/toyota-supra-turbo-back-3_111.jpg

Probably not

http://www.avoncustom.co.uk/carsales/images/red32gtr9.jpg

JimmyBurner
12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Sorry. I'll go and buy a dash cam so that I can record every minute of driving from now on. I kind of figured that based on the car being a sporty rhd with 1 taillight burnt out on the left hand side, an enlarged exhaust, that everyone will agree with me, bash some guy who will never read this thread ever, and my e-repuation and overall coolness factor will be increased by atleast 2-3 points.

Fixed, thank me later.

ercchry
12-02-2010, 11:34 PM
am i going to have to be the one to state the obvious here?

first off, if this "douche" was driving like you claim he was, how is it that you were able to keep up with him from downtown allll the fucking way up deerfoot to 32nd? and secondly, you witnessed an accident and you couldn't be bothered to stop and see if the occupants were okay when you claim that you believe they may have fucking rolled???!!! who is the real douche here... that is what i ask :facepalm:

J-hop
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I still don't understand why people think that other people will be impressed by their "hella sick skillz".:rolleyes:

no kidding, a few months back I watched in my rear view as a group of 6 or so evos (possibly some were just lancers but i don`t know), weaved like nascar drivers through traffic . Both myself (in the right lane) and the driver in the left lane were doing the speed limit (actually we were bout about 5km over). The evo group couldn't get past us obviously so the guy behind me proceeded to sit about 5 ft off my bumper (i could barely see his headlights).

I lit up the brake lights a couple times to signal "GTF off my bumper you douche" with no success, so I slowed down. As we neared the next exit ramp the guy pulled into the shoulder a bit in an attempt to rip past me, I moved over into the shoulder to return the favor. Guys proceeded to exit and all gave me the finger.

sucks that kids think because they have decent cars they are automatically skilled drivers.

The worst though is when you see some beater ass car with more body roll than my obese aunt hauling down the deer. Happens all the time and I just pray that person does hit someone in their attempt to get a thrill

edit: BTW OP I love that you used the term douche canoe, it is an under utilized amazing burn haha

Dodobird
12-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

no kidding, a few months back I watched in my rear view as a group of 6 or so evos (possibly some were just lancers but i don`t know), weaved like nascar drivers through traffic . Both myself (in the right lane) and the driver in the left lane were doing the speed limit (actually we were bout about 5km over). The evo group couldn't get past us obviously so the guy behind me proceeded to sit about 5 ft off my bumper (i could barely see his headlights).

I lit up the brake lights a couple times to signal "GTF off my bumper you douche" with no success, so I slowed down. As we neared the next exit ramp the guy pulled into the shoulder a bit in an attempt to rip past me, I moved over into the shoulder to return the favor. Guys proceeded to exit and all gave me the finger.

sucks that kids think because they have decent cars they are automatically skilled drivers.

The worst though is when you see some beater ass car with more body roll than my obese aunt hauling down the deer. Happens all the time and I just pray that person does hit someone in their attempt to get a thrill

edit: BTW OP I love that you used the term douche canoe, it is an under utilized amazing burn haha

While I appreciate that you were going the speed limit and obviously acting like a cautious driver, it still pisses me off to no end when people insist on driving right next to each other to prevent passing.

And douche canoe is used quite often on this forum I've found...

revelations
12-03-2010, 12:08 AM
So, the douche canoe in question is a red right hand drive JDM (I'm guessing) with a burnt out rear left taillight and an enlarged exhaust. The taillights are the round ones, and there's only 3 instead of 4.

Make sure you give that description to the CPS so that they can be as useless as everyone makes them out to be.

FraserB
12-03-2010, 12:10 AM
So since a few people wish to speed and drive like shmucks everyone on the road should break the law to accommodate them?

Was J-hop supposed to exceed the speed limit up so they could pass the other driver on the right (another illegal move)?

mr2mike
12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by cjay^

Probably not

I lol'd

J-hop
12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Dodobird

While I appreciate that you were going the speed limit and obviously acting like a cautious driver, it still pisses me off to no end when people insist on driving right next to each other to prevent passing.

And douche canoe is used quite often on this forum I've found...

well I'm glad it does piss you off, I'm not about to move so someone like you can be a huge douche canoe (no offense but it just fits with the thread theme :) ) on the streets.

I'm the same way, but only if the speed limit is say 70, conditions are fine and you have two people doing 60 side by side. But if people are doing the speed limit, you have no logical reason to get pissed off.

sometimes i find logic escapes the average driver, they get blocked by two people doing the speed limit and obeying the law, and figure those guys are assholes because they won't let them break the law.

baffles me that people can think like that.

Dodobird
12-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant it pisses me off when they are going under the limit

J-hop
12-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Dodobird
Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant it pisses me off when they are going under the limit

werd, understandable

texasnick
12-03-2010, 08:50 AM

I'm the same way, but only if the speed limit is say 70, conditions are fine and you have two people doing 60 side by side. But if people are doing the speed limit, you have no logical reason to get pissed off.

sometimes i find logic escapes the average driver, they get blocked by two people doing the speed limit and obeying the law, and figure those guys are assholes because they won't let them break the law.

NO

If you are doing the SAME SPEED as the person next to you, it is common courtesy to MOVE OVER and get either in front of them, or behind them (at a safe distance) so that the rest of the people driving on the road can keep traffic flowing.

It doesn't matter if you are doing the speed limit. On the highway, there are signs about every 200 m that say "Slower traffic keep right", or "Keep right except to pass" precisely for this reason.

It goes both ways. The guys driving agressively obviously only care about themselves and every other car on the road can "deal with it", but it's the same exact thing when someone sits in the left lane doing the EXACT same speed as the person next to them. You aren't the only car on the road. Maybe the guy behind you in the left lane wants to do 5 over. Would that be the "douche canoe" you speak of? You don't let him over becuase you're too busy up on your high horse to consider that there are other people on the road who may not want to do the exact speed as everyone else on the road.
People like you are the ones who cause guys driving evo's to have road rage. Way to go. Explain to me how that helps anything.

Edit: And OP, you call this guy a douche (which it sounds like he was) yet you proceed to call him out by telling him your car is just as fast and you were keeping up with him. See the disconnect in your logic yet?

It's a shame you didn't stop either when the minivan lost it. Maybe you could have made a witness statement for him that would have potentially helped him deal with costs/insurance.

Unknown303
12-03-2010, 09:03 AM
The speed limit is actually the upper limit. That's why they have signs saying slower traffic keep right. Because if you choose to drive under the speed limit you shouldn't be in the left most lane as that's for people looking to drive at the post max speed.

zipdoa
12-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by texasnick

It doesn't matter if you are doing the speed limit. On the highway, there are signs about every 200 m that say "Slower traffic keep right", or "Keep right except to pass" precisely for this reason.

For precisely what reason? So you can speed? Stop talking out of your ass.

The signs are there vehicles travelling below the limit, typically semi-trucks or other vehicles moving large amounts of cargo. It might be an unwritten law in your books that left lane is for speeders, but according to law the speed limit is perfectly fine for ALL lanes.

This has already been discussed in another thread... I'm sure some OG's will chime in.

EDIT:

Also, if you don't understand what causes traffic jams in the first place, here's a little instructional video:

Suugn-p5C1M

If all you 5-over fucks living on the edge of law could live with cruise controling at THE LIMIT, congestion could probably be reduced.

Have you ever been stuck on crowchild in the little clusterfuck jams that don't seem to be caused by anything? Do you notice that the speeders are passing everyone doing the limit and pilling up the traffic 5x faster, increasing the density of the jam and prolonging stoppage time?

God forbid you travel belowa the limit and maintain flow.

go speedy speedy when there's no one else around.

texasnick
12-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Does the sign say, "Keep right except to pass, unless you are doing the speed limit"?

The sign is there to keep traffic from backing up because 3 people choose to do the same speed right next to eachother.

Edit: Oh, sorry, it's already been discussed in another thread. OG's said it was okay. It must be okay.

2nd Edit: It doesn't matter if you're doing 20 over the speed limit. If you're in the left lane, and you aren't passing anyone, it is COMMON COURTESY (if you would have read more carefully, you would have realized I was talking about driving courtesy) to keep right unless you are passing.

jjmac
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

first off, if this "douche" was driving like you claim he was, how is it that you were able to keep up with him from downtown allll the fucking way up deerfoot to 32nd? and secondly, you witnessed an accident and you couldn't be bothered to stop and see if the occupants were okay when you claim that you believe they may have fucking rolled???!!! who is the real douche here... that is what i ask :facepalm:

this

Unknown303
12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Does the sign say, "Keep right except to pass, unless you are doing the speed limit"?

The sign is there to keep traffic from backing up because 3 people choose to do the same speed right next to eachother.

Edit: Oh, sorry, it's already been discussed in another thread. OG's said it was okay. It must be okay.

2nd Edit: It doesn't matter if you're doing 20 over the speed limit. If you're in the left lane, and you aren't passing anyone, it is COMMON COURTESY (if you would have read more carefully, you would have realized I was talking about driving courtesy) to keep right unless you are passing.

It's also common courtesy to obey the posted speed limit. :dunno:

texasnick
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
LOL, okay, I forgot all the "OG's" on beyond all did exactly the speed limit. Shame on you if you want to do 105 kph on Deerfoot in the left lane. Give me a break man.

Look, no one here can deny that aggressive driving is asshole driving. Riding someone's bumper just because they are speed matching the guy next to them is not justified under any circumstances.

HOWEVER, driving in the left lane at exactly the same speed as the guy to the right of you to PURPOSEFULLY play police and make sure that no one on the road is going faster than the speed limit is just as much asshole driving, AND, to a greater extent, causes aggressive drivers to behave even worse.

Self-entitlement can go both ways, and it NEVER helps anything move along the way it was designed to.

What if I'm doing 98 kph in the left lane? Now I'm unjustified in making the 10 cars behind me do 98 as well? But speed up 2 kph and THEY are the assholes?

Unknown303
12-03-2010, 09:51 AM
LOL, okay, I forgot all the "OG's" on beyond all did exactly the speed limit. Shame on you if you want to do 105 kph on Deerfoot in the left lane. Give me a break man.

Look, no one here can deny that aggressive driving is asshole driving. Riding someone's bumper just because they are speed matching the guy next to them is not justified under any circumstances.

HOWEVER, driving in the left lane at exactly the same speed as the guy to the right of you to PURPOSEFULLY play police and make sure that no one on the road is going faster than the speed limit is just as much asshole driving, AND, to a greater extent, causes aggressive drivers to behave even worse.

Self-entitlement can go both ways, and it NEVER helps anything move along the way it was designed to.

What if I'm doing 98 kph in the left lane? Now I'm unjustified in making the 10 cars behind me do 98 as well? But speed up 2 kph and THEY are the assholes?

See now I agree with what you said there.

It's one thing to say the left lanes for people to go 120 in, but now if someone is going below the speed limit in the left most lane then they should GTFO. I also agree that it's not solving any problems by having a gang of cars line up down Deerfoot going the same speed in each lane. There are enough lanes there that people should be able to go below in the right most, for argument sake go around the speed limit in the middle lane and leave the left most for people who are "slightly" exceeding the limit.

Yeah I speed, I'm not some holy roller who doesn't do dumb shit from time to time. But I definitely choose my battles. Deerfoot, fuck no, I'll go the speed limit. And why? Because there's always shit going on, I like being able to see stuff going on ahead and have the ability to slightly reduce my speed and hopefully have the crap shoot developing ahead of me clear before I get there. If I'm in the left most lane and some joker comes flying up on my ass then yeah I'll move out of the way. I don't feel like dealing with some raging asshole anyways, so that solves that problem.

What I don't appreciate though is people who thing that it's fine and fucking dandy to go above and beyond the speed limit however much they want in that left lane because "Slow traffic must keep right". Fuck that, welcome to society and learn to work with the rest of us.

Sugarphreak
12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm the same way, but only if the speed limit is say 70, conditions are fine and you have two people doing 60 side by side. But if people are doing the speed limit, you have no logical reason to get pissed off. I have to disagree, there is zero point or purpose to travel at exactly the same speed as the person becide you on a major highyway such as Deerfoot. You can travel in front or behind that person doing the same speed and allow traffic around you to move more freely. "Forcing" people to do the speed limit is childish and really done only by people that are either oblivious to traffic around them or by those intentionally trying to irritate other drivers... in both cases, our roads would be safer without either attitude.

If you are doing the SAME SPEED as the person next to you, it is common courtesy to MOVE OVER and get either in front of them, or behind them (at a safe distance) so that the rest of the people driving on the road can keep traffic flowing.+1

If you are doing the same speed as the guy next to you, move over... aside from being a self rightous road nazi there is no point to sit in the left hand lane.

At the same time, people that travel in the left hand lane have no right to sit on somebodies bumper, honk or high beam people that might be a bit slower... if somebody is doing 103km in a 100 zone and in the process of passing somebody doing 97km and you roll up at 120km... chill the f-ck out and let the guy pass at a speed he feels comfortable with.

He has every right to be there & when he is finished passing it is common courtest to move over.

This isn't a new age concept, a lot of countries have been actually assigning different speed limits to different lanes to help ease congestion on highways... I assume the only reason we don't move to a similar system here is that it would be more difficult to issue speeding tickets.

J-hop
12-03-2010, 10:28 AM

hey bud, if you re-read my initial post, I said I was in the right lane while the person in the left decided to do the same speed as I (we were both slightly over the speed limit too!?!?). And the shit for brains figured he'd make me pay from making him fall behind on his tight schedule (where the hell would a group of 6 evos need to be at 11pm at night on a saturday anyways?) by sitting 5ft off my bumper.

as unknown (i think) said, the speed limit is the upper limit. You'd have to be a pretty dumb person to getting mad at someone for obeying the rules. That is like getting mad at someone for not drinking and driving, just pure stupidity.

the argument is in no way trying to preach and say people can't speed, but rather to enlighten those canoes that thinks its logical to get mad at someone because they won't speed

texasnick
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM

hey bud, if you re-read my initial post, I said I was in the right lane while the person in the left decided to do the same speed as I (we were both slightly over the speed limit too!?!?). And the shit for brains figured he'd make me pay from making him fall behind on his tight schedule (where the hell would a group of 6 evos need to be at 11pm at night on a saturday anyways?) by sitting 5ft off my bumper.

Hey bud, you're 100% right. Guy in the left lane was either being a dick, or was completely oblivious to the traffic behind him. Neither would surprise me. And the guy in the EVO was also an asshole for riding your bumper, but they would have also been an asshole for riding the guy next to you's bumper.

Did you notice how the speed matching going on in that scenario made the guys in the evo drive like even bigger dickheads? That's the point I'm trying to prove.

as unknown (i think) said, the speed limit is the upper limit. You'd have to be a pretty dumb person to getting mad at someone for obeying the rules. That is like getting mad at someone for not drinking and driving, just pure stupidity.

the argument is in no way trying to preach and say people can't speed, but rather to enlighten those canoes that thinks its logical to get mad at someone because they won't speed

....and as I have said, doing 5 kph over the limit in the left lane of Deerfoot is also not uncommon. If I'm doing 5 over and I come up to someone in my lane doing the speed limit, I slow down respectfully, at a safe distance, to match their speed. When I get an opportunity to pass, I will. I never said it was justified to drive like a dick when people are doing the limit in front of you in the left lane, I said it was unjustified to sit in the left lane and think that everyone else on the road has to go the same speed as you just because you're doing the speed limit.

Doesn't solve anything. In fact, makes things worse.

ercchry
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
it is simple... FLOW OF TRAFFIC

i dont care what the limit is, if there is traffic and you are in the left lane and the gap from you and the car in front is growing MOVE THE FUCK OVER. does not matter if everyone is going 30km/h under the limit, or over it. flow.... of.... traffic. if you are fucking it up, get over

codetrap
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by cjay^

Probably not

It did look like this.

codetrap
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Edit: And OP, you call this guy a douche (which it sounds like he was) yet you proceed to call him out by telling him your car is just as fast and you were keeping up with him. See the disconnect in your logic yet?

It's a shame you didn't stop either when the minivan lost it. Maybe you could have made a witness statement for him that would have potentially helped him deal with costs/insurance.

I'm sorry. Perhaps I should make it clearer. I followed him off the on ramp onto deerfoot, matching is acceleration to 110ish, and then I moved over to the far left lane and set the cruise to 120. He stayed in the right and then came over to the far left after a little bit. And yes I think it's funny that my 4 door station wagon can accelerate just as fast as his douche canoe.

As far as the accident went, I was in the far left lane, and all the action happened to the right and beside me. How do you propose during traffic that I make my way across in time to be able to stop and be of any assistance? Should I just slam on the brakes and veer across 4 lanes of traffic, all moving at around 120? By the time I could have gotten back to the scene, it would have been a half hour minimum. I would've had to gone up McKnight, then back and around to 16th, then back up to the scene. That combined with the fact that I had a cranky two year old in the car who was past her bedtime, and I think I made the correct decision as far as being able to assist.

As far as reporting anything, what good would it have done. The description could fit 100 cars in Calgary, are the cops going to check each one? I doubt it.

Edited to clarify comments.

arian_ma
12-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Here come all the Beyond angels who drive exactly the speed limit. All y'all maniacs on the roads, going 90 on Crowchild and shit. We should put you behind bars.

zipdoa
12-03-2010, 11:02 AM

i dont care what the limit is, if there is traffic and you are in the left lane and the gap from you and the car in front is growing MOVE THE FUCK OVER. does not matter if everyone is going 30km/h under the limit, or over it. flow.... of.... traffic. if you are fucking it up, get over

:facepalm:

following the flow of traffic quite often leads to speeding tickets.

If I were to follow the flow of traffic every morning, I would get ticketed at least twice a week on crowchild for doing 90km/h through the construction zone, all for following the flow of traffic.

Does nobody understand that the flow of traffic should be consistent with the speed limit, weather permitting?

Just because 70% of Calgary drivers like to speed doesn't mean I'm going to speed up to match their flow of traffic.

codetrap
12-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Here come all the Beyond angels who drive exactly the speed limit. All y'all maniacs on the roads, going 90 on Crowchild and shit. We should put you behind bars.

Ha! I'm certainly not an angel by any means. Lately my wife has been riding be because I've been speeding so much. However, there's a huge difference between Mario Kart on deerfoot and just going 10-20 over.

ercchry
12-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

If I were to follow the flow of traffic every morning, I would get ticketed at least twice a week on crowchild for doing 90km/h through the construction zone, all for following the flow of traffic.

Does nobody understand that the flow of traffic should be consistent with the speed limit, weather permitting?

Just because 70% of Calgary drivers like to speed doesn't mean I'm going to speed up to match their flow of traffic.

yeah, they will single out just you and your car :facepalm:

if you have a problem with driving the same speed as 70% of the people on the road... then drive with the other 30% IN THE RIGHT LANE!

FraserB
12-03-2010, 11:25 AM

Mario Kart on deerfoot

This sounds like fun, does anyone have a few go karts? I have some spare bananas.

texasnick
12-03-2010, 11:30 AM
If all you 5-over fucks living on the edge of law could live with cruise controling at THE LIMIT, congestion could probably be reduced.

Have you ever been stuck on crowchild in the little clusterfuck jams that don't seem to be caused by anything? Do you notice that the speeders are passing everyone doing the limit and pilling up the traffic 5x faster, increasing the density of the jam and prolonging stoppage time?

LMAO, yes, the people doing 85 on Crowchild (respectfully, mind you) are the ones causing traffic to back up......NO. This is not what causes it. If those speeders knew how to properly merge onto Crowchild, it wouldn't be an issue. Improper merging technique is was causes traffic to back up for no reason in particular.

It's like the thread about people jumping into the merge lane before Anderson on SB Deerfoot. It pisses me off, but not because they're passing me, because when they get to the end of the lane, they make everyone in the right lane hit the brakes to let them in.

.....and all this talk about maintaining flow, and then down the page saying that "going with the flow" will quite often lead to a speeding ticket. Thanks for coming out, sir.

Idratherbsidewayz
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I love these threads, all the obedient wieners always come out spouting their Deputy Do-good bullshit.

Inattentive driving is the main cause of traffic, and the accident the OP described. 99.69% of people just watch the taillights ahead of them and react accordingly. You should be monitoring the flow of traffic at least 2-3 cars ahead of you to give you ample time to react and not cause a brake slamming traffic jam.

I once read a method on how YOU can help the flow of traffic. It will bring you great satisfaction and help everyone else on the road out.

1. Notice that there is a jam up 10-20 cars ahead of you because some retard braked too hard which then compounded.
2. Slow down a little bit without hitting your brake lights. The gap in front of you will enlarge. Figuring out what to slow down to will take a bit of time and practice, but is pretty easy once you have the feel for it.
3. If done correctly, the people in the jam-up will have slowed down, gotten frustrated, then resumed regular speed or at least the speed you are currently going and you will seamlessly re-enter your old position in traffic. Everyone behind you is now grateful as they don't have to hit their brakes for no goddamn reason on the highway.

Improper merging technique is was causes traffic to back up for no reason in particular.

It's like the thread about people jumping into the merge lane before Anderson on SB Deerfoot. It pisses me off, but not because they're passing me, because when they get to the end of the lane, they make everyone in the right lane hit the brakes to let them in.

I agree that improper merging is a definite culprit as well. The Southland onto Deerfoot South merge is particularily bad after work. You have 600m to speed up to 100 and merge/change lanes. Those idiots definitely don't have to get over as soon as the lines become dotted, going 60km/h....

texasnick
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
oops, double post self-ownage

texasnick
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

1. Notice that there is a jam up 10-20 cars ahead of you because some retard braked too hard which then compounded.
2. Slow down a little bit without hitting your brake lights. The gap in front of you will enlarge. Figuring out what to slow down to will take a bit of time and practice, but is pretty easy once you have the feel for it.
3. If done correctly, the people in the jam-up will have slowed down, gotten frustrated, then resumed regular speed or at least the speed you are currently going and you will seamlessly re-enter your old position in traffic. Everyone behind you is now grateful as they don't have to hit their brakes for no goddamn reason on the highway.

OMG YES! haha I try to do this every day. People ride my ass until they figure out that I'm going to be doing 20 kph in traffic without slowing down or speeding up, and everyone in front of me will be going from 0 to 35 over, and over, and over, and over.

arian_ma
12-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Ha! I'm certainly not an angel by any means. Lately my wife has been riding be because I've been speeding so much. However, there's a huge difference between Mario Kart on deerfoot and just going 10-20 over.
Haha I wasn't referring to you, just saying that it's inevitable to happen. Every time someone starts a thread about someone speeding everyone comes on here and spews so much bullshit you could fertilize all of BC with it. Listen to ercchry and Idratherbsidewayz, you don't like to speed, GTF out of the left lane and learn how to God damn drive.

NOTHING more scary to me than someone on the road who doesn't trust their own driving abilities.

zipdoa
12-03-2010, 11:50 AM

.....and all this talk about maintaining flow, and then down the page saying that "going with the flow" will quite often lead to a speeding ticket. Thanks for coming out, sir.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

So flow is just made up every day by how fast people feel like going?

I have a better idea. How about we put up signs telling people how fast to go, that way, if everyone travels the dictated speed, there will be no issues. I won't need to pass you if we go the same speed right? (doing this will maintain flow and eliminate speeding infractions.)

I get it, you feel it's your right to drive whatever speed you choose and those preventing you from doing so are the proverbial douche-bag - but are we really arguing that going anything other than the speed limit is the correct way to operate a motor vehicle?

Iceman_19
12-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I cant be bothered to read through this crap, but its not just common courtesy to keep right as slower traffic, its actually the law. Not one of those that really seems to ever be enforced, but the reason for a sign that says "slower traffic keep right" is because it is the LAW. Yes, the speed limit is also a law, but the other law is there to not cause accidents by people being road heros and acting like a dink by blocking traffic, which has a tendancy to cause people to do stupid things, resulting in accidents.

texasnick
12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
So flow is just made up every day by how fast people feel like going?

I have a better idea. How about we put up signs telling people how fast to go, that way, if everyone travels the dictated speed, there will be no issues. I won't need to pass you if we go the same speed right? (doing this will maintain flow and eliminate speeding infractions.)

I get it, you feel it's your right to drive whatever speed you choose and those preventing you from doing so are the proverbial douche-bag - but are we really arguing that going anything other than the speed limit is the correct way to operate a motor vehicle?

No, flow of traffic is exactly that. It isn't dictated by one individual on the road, nor is it dictated solely by the speed limit.

You obviously missed my point. It's okay, I'll hold your hand and walk you through it.

First, you said this;

Then, you said this.

So, going with the flow is okay if it's below or at the speed limit, but not okay if it's 5 over?

I get it, you're trying to impress people by using facepalm emoticons. Just, next time, try to have a little consistency in your arguments.

JimmyBurner
12-03-2010, 12:08 PM

For precisely what reason? So you can speed? Stop talking out of your ass.

The signs are there vehicles travelling below the limit, typically semi-trucks or other vehicles moving large amounts of cargo. It might be an unwritten law in your books that left lane is for speeders, but according to law the speed limit is perfectly fine for ALL lanes.

This has already been discussed in another thread... I'm sure some OG's will chime in.

EDIT:

Also, if you don't understand what causes traffic jams in the first place, here's a little instructional video:

This is why Beyond will never be anything more than an online popularity contest.

OMG, the OG'S are going to CHIME IN. No matter what they say, that will be the end of the argument. Period. They are Beyond OG's. They joined an online forum and started building their e-repuation and image to a bunch of people they'll never meet in real life a lot earlier than the rest of us.

Zipdoa, get a fucking life you reject. Nobody gives a shit about what your beyond "OG'S" say, it's common sense. I never understand why little WoW-playing softies like you always have to relate yourself to other members or invite other members to solidify your argument. Just say what you think.

Also, you know nothing of traffic or driving in general, again, it's all common sense, don't ever drive side by side with the guy beside you. I don't care if you and your book club members always drive the speed limit, I don't, so move to the right. It's pretty simple. THAT's how traffic is help up, when two morons drive the same speed on the highway, and create a clusterfuck of 30 pissed off drivers behind them who want to go faster. Going the same speed as the guy beside you? Get behind him or infront. That way all the big bad speeders going 95 on crowfoot will move freely in the left lane, and all you law abiding citizens will do the same in the middle or right lanes. Done and done.

zipdoa
12-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by JimmyBurner

This is why Beyond will never be anything more than an online popularity contest.

OMG, the OG'S are going to CHIME IN. No matter what they say, that will be the end of the argument. Period. They are Beyond OG's. They joined an online forum and started building their e-repuation and image to a bunch of people they'll never meet in real life a lot earlier than the rest of us.

Zipdoa, get a fucking life you reject. Nobody gives a shit about what your beyond "OG'S" say, it's common sense. I never understand why little WoW-playing softies like you always have to relate yourself to other members or invite other members to solidify your argument. Just say what you think.

Also, you know nothing of traffic or driving in general, again, it's all common sense, don't ever drive side by side with the guy beside you. I don't care if you and your book club members always drive the speed limit, I don't, so move to the right. It's pretty simple. THAT's how traffic is help up, when two morons drive the same speed on the highway, and create a clusterfuck of 30 pissed off drivers behind them who want to go faster. Going the same speed as the guy beside you? Get behind him or infront. That way all the big bad speeders going 95 on crowfoot will move freely in the left lane, and all you law abiding citizens will do the same in the middle or right lanes. Done and done.

:rofl:

you mad bro!?

JimmyBurner
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM

you mad bro!?

Not really... but okay?
Nice response, it's okay though, I know it's hard to argue someone's points when the "OG's" aren't chiming in with you.

zipdoa
12-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JimmyBurner

Not really... but okay?
Nice response, it's okay though, I know it's hard to argue someone's points when the "OG's" aren't chiming in with you.

nah I just don't put in effort for trolls. they get banned sooner or later anyways!

Unknown303
12-03-2010, 02:25 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/Unknown303/WMCt.jpg

Iceman_19
12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/Unknown303/WMCt.jpg

HOLY FUCK

That cat is awesome

chkolny541
12-03-2010, 03:40 PM
wow this thread went sideways fast

Iceman_19
12-03-2010, 03:45 PM
MOAR PICS OF YOUR SIG

Crazyjoker77
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
From Beyonds Resident RCMP DAYGLOW himself...

"No one likes a left lane blocker. These are the drivers who inhabit the left hand lane on multiple laned roadway and are oblivious to the traffic behind them that want to pass by. Clearly, they believe that if they are travelling at or close to the speed limit, there is no need for them to move over to the right hand lane for others.

If you are driving in the left hand lane and you are driving at a speed less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, you must drive in the right hand lane. It is important to note that the words speed limit do not appear anywhere in the last sentence. If you are slower, move over.
If you choose not to, you are at risk of being ticketed for failing to keep to the right.

There are two exemptions to this rule. The first allows you to move into the left lane to pass someone travelling slower than you are and the second allows you to use the left lane to prepare for a left turn at an intersection or into a driveway or private road. Preparation for the left turn will depend on the traffic volume at the time, but it is unlikely that a kilometer or more will be considered acceptable.

Left lane blockers increase the risk caused by aggressive drivers. The aggressive driver cares for no one but themselves and will try to get by using any means available. By refusing to move over, the left lane blocker contributes to unsafe lane changes and tailgating behaviour. A defensive driver will reduce the risk by giving right of way even when the law does not require them to."

All you asshats are the same if not worse than those doing 5KM over.

texasnick
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Get that logic out of here!

OG's, man. OG's are going to chime.

arian_ma
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Class

dansmith11
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM

well I'm glad it does piss you off, I'm not about to move so someone like you can be a huge douche canoe (no offense but it just fits with the thread theme :) ) on the streets.

logically if your going the same speed as the car next to you, why cant you just move over and drive in the same lane as the rest of the guys going the same speed as you? thus leaving a free lane for anyone that wants to travel faster then you. your going that speed anyhow, so it makes absolutely, 100%, ZERO difference to your life, and it lets other people live and act the way they want as well.

it baffles me that people can be so inconsiderate.

89s1
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Zipdoa got pretty fucking quiet all of a sudden.

But since you made him look foolish you must be a troll, and therefore a waste of his precious time (time he would have more of if he sped a little bit)

NightFX2
12-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Get that logic out of here!

OG's, man. OG's are going to chime.

:rofl: :rofl:

I hope no one on this forum actually goes 100 on the left lane on deerfoot. :angel: :angel:

J-hop
12-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11

logically if your going the same speed as the car next to you, why cant you just move over and drive in the same lane as the rest of the guys going the same speed as you? thus leaving a free lane for anyone that wants to travel faster then you. your going that speed anyhow, so it makes absolutely, 100%, ZERO difference to your life, and it lets other people live and act the way they want as well.

it baffles me that people can be so inconsiderate.

wow, wake up man, 1st as I will re-iterate for the third time (beyonders really suck at reading), I was in the RIGHT lane (hence why the guy tried to pass me in the shoulder when he went to exit).

second, there was a douche canoe in an evo behind me, AND another one tailgating the person beside me. SO in order to let them by I would have had to speed up and pull in front of the person beside me (they were in the left lane if you still can't figure that out) to let the guys pass. And we were on country hills in an area where there is always photo radar so I would be risking getting a ticket just so some dip shits that had no patience could get by

Your logic sucks, don't try to own someone if you are going to sound absolutely ignorant like that.

edit: by the way, how is not letting a douche canoe by who wants to break the law considered being inconsiderate.

Being inconsiderate is budging someone in a lineup, NOT preventing someone from being a complete idiot, THEY are the ones being inconsiderate, THEY are the ones trying to ruin your day THEY are the ones breaking the law.

SO in summation are we all supposed to bend over backwards so other people can be assholes? Why the eff do I have to go out of my way to accommodate someone who shows me absolutely no respect on the road?

Where the hell has all the logic gone in this world....

Crazyjoker77
12-03-2010, 08:37 PM

wow, wake up man, 1st as I will re-iterate for the third time (beyonders really suck at reading), I was in the RIGHT lane (hence why the guy tried to pass me in the shoulder when he went to exit).

second, there was a douche canoe in an evo behind me, AND another one tailgating the person beside me. SO in order to let them by I would have had to speed up and pull in front of the person beside me (they were in the left lane if you still can't figure that out) to let the guys pass. And we were on country hills in an area where there is always photo radar so I would be risking getting a ticket just so some dip shits that had no patience could get by

Your logic sucks, don't try to own someone if you are going to sound absolutely ignorant like that.

edit: by the way, how is not letting a douche canoe by who wants to break the law considered being inconsiderate.

Being inconsiderate is budging someone in a lineup, NOT preventing someone from being a complete idiot, THEY are the ones being inconsiderate, THEY are the ones trying to ruin your day THEY are the ones breaking the law.

Where the hell has all the logic gone in this world....

... Or you could turn your cruise control off and slow down 2-3km/h to allow the other car to legally pass you without him having to speed, then he could change into the right lane in front of you and the 2 of you could be happy going 100 while the evos pass you on the left. Instead of following the 2 of you doing 100 side by side for 15km...

I really wish they would make drivers ed mandatory here...

SO in summation are we all supposed to bend over backwards so other people can be assholes? Why the eff do I have to go out of my way to accommodate someone who shows me absolutely no respect?

hypocritical to say the least. You may have been perfectly legal in this certain situation and it was whoever was left to the of you responsibility to either break the law and speed up or slow down and merge behind you but a proactive driver would slow down realizing there beside a bad driver...

May I suggest reading http://www.riverbendregistries.ca/dnn/Portals/0/book.bmp
It covers a lot of this

J-hop
12-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

... Or you could turn your cruise control off and slow down 2-3km/h to allow the other car to legally pass you without having to speed then he could change into the right lane in front of you and the 2 of you could be happy going 100 while the evos pass you on the left. Instead of following the 2 of you doing 100 side by side for 15km...

I really wish they would make drivers ed mandatory here...

wow you have no logic either, 15 km???? it was actually just over one km from the lights to the turn off. I've taken drivers ed, I have a perfect driving record, zero tickets (not even a parking ticket!!), zero accidents, NO close calls, and the cheapest insurance out of anyone I know my age, WHY? because I'm a respectful driver, I give people there space.

Again as I will reiterate because people seem to have a huge lack of understanding. Why am I supposed to go out of my way to accommodate someone who shows me no respect.

And I guess you think because a guys sitting 5ft off my bumper the logical thing is to slow down right so he can pass and risk getting hit if he isn't watching closely, Thanks mr. Logic. As you will also read I did slow down slightly (more to piss him off haha) but it would have taken a while for the other car to get far enough ahead to either pull in or the guys to get by

And actually after they turned off the guy in the left lane continued to drive in that lane, I don't even believe he even noticed the canoe riding his bumper.

Summation, I was not in the wrong, the group of pricks were.

J-hop
12-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

hypocritical to say the least. You may have been perfectly legal in this certain situation and it was whoever was left to the of you responsibility to either break the law and speed up or slow down and merge behind you but a proactive driver would slow down realizing there beside a bad driver...

May I suggest reading http://www.riverbendregistries.ca/dnn/Portals/0/book.bmp
It covers a lot of this

again because you don't seem to understand, I was not beside a bad driver, we were two "good" drivers, with a bunch of horrible drivers behind us.

May I suggest that you take that handbook at give it to the idiots in the evos, I know for a fact one of them is on here as I recognized the car.

Crazyjoker77
12-03-2010, 08:55 PM

wow you have no logic either, 15 km???? it was actually just over one km from the lights to the turn off. I've taken drivers ed, I have a perfect driving record, zero tickets (not even a parking ticket!!), zero accidents, NO close calls, and the cheapest insurance out of anyone I know my age, WHY? because I'm a respectful driver, I give people there space.

Again as I will reiterate because people seem to have a huge lack of understanding. Why am I supposed to go out of my way to accommodate someone who shows me no respect.

And I guess you think because a guys sitting 5ft off my bumper the logical thing is to slow down right so he can pass and risk getting hit if he isn't watching closely, Thanks mr. Logic. As you will also read I did slow down slightly (more to piss him off haha) but it would have taken a while for the other car to get far enough ahead to either pull in or the guys to get by

And actually after they turned off the guy in the left lane continued to drive in that lane, I don't even believe he even noticed the canoe riding his bumper.

Summation, I was not in the wrong, the group of pricks were.

I'm sure in that drivers ed they told you the difference between a legal driver and a proactive driver...

It was the evo's responsibility if he hit you and slowing down slightly is still a better option that staying in that high risk situation. In your case it wasnt that far so not much of a deal but ive seen it so many times on the number one highway going on for many KM.

kevie88
12-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I hate this thread. I think it's time to close it.