PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for your buck laptop?

JfuckinC
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey guys, my laptop is really starting to lag. Thinkin about grabbin a new one today or tomorrow, what would be a decent laptop for under $500? I'm not too computer tech savy, and all i do is surf the net, download stuff, watch tv shows, surf beyond(too much) and watch mad pr0n. Windows 7 would be a plus, and obviously something with a decent vid card etc so i can watch movies. 15"ish screen?

Thanks for the help!

cjay^
12-03-2010, 03:26 PM
The best buy deal of the day for today (Dec 3) looks pretty good to me.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-14-laptop-featuring-intel-pentium-p6100-processor-as4738z-4210-brown-as4738z-4210/10155021.aspx?path=11984dfe6b24e80d895dc5931b534685en02

I have a 14" notebook and love it, decent amount smaller than a 15.6"

At $499 its not that great of a deal, but at $399 (today only) it seems solid.

EDIT: Apparently the Intel P6100 is a variation of the Core i3 processor. Its exactly the same as an I3-330M except its clocked slightly lower, and has only 2 threads (2 physical cores) as opposed to the i3 having 4 threads. The 3MB cache on the P6100 would make it MUCH faster than say an Intel T5400 in anything CPU intensive.

bituerbo
12-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I picked up an entry-level Acer for $360 around this time last year.
Acer Aspire 5534, 1.6Ghz single-core TF-20 processor, and 2gb of ram.

I swapped ou the processor with a dual-core 1.9ghz for $20 and put in 4gb of ram I got for free from a friend. Go with a 15.6" screen, as those seem to be cheaper than the 14" of comparable performance.

You shouldn't be using a laptop for anything more than MS Office, web, music, videos and Torrents. If you want a gaming rig, go with a desktop.

bituerbo
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Actually the one cjay^ linked to is pretty damn good.
Go with that one.

sputnik
12-03-2010, 03:42 PM
The Inspiron 15 is $399 from Dell (today only).

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cadhst1&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=EM&cid=61664&lid=1548592

JfuckinC
12-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice it has HDMI too! Thanks Cjay, does that deal count for in store too?

cjay^
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Nice it has HDMI too! Thanks Cjay, does that deal count for in store too?

No problem, and I'm 99% sure it would.

nykz
12-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I didn't want to start another thread, however this HP laptop of mine that I've had for 3 years now has been shitting out on me and I think its time for a change. By this I mean the obnoxiously loud fan it has, random occurrences where the screen goes black, constant overheating etc..

Unfortunately my knowledge with laptops, processors, and what not are really limited. Now that I think about it, I suppose I don't need a laptop either as I hardly bring it to class, and something reasonably priced for a desktop with a decent size screen wouldn't be too bad either. I tend to watch movies a lot and shows etc.

My daily uses for my current laptop include documents, browsing Beyond, music, movies and I have been getting into some photography lately, so it would be nice if it could handle some photo editing as well. As my current HP laptop takes forever to load Photoshop and Lightroom.

Slight gaming I suppose, although I haven't touched any games for 2 years now, it wouldn't hurt if it could handle some games. As this laptop that I have now, could barely handle any RPG's, as the graphics are so horrible and the FPS I receive is just ridiculously low.

I'm just looking for opinions right now to see what would be a better buy, I know DELL has their day deals currently, except with my lack of knowledge and my oriental background, I really want the best bang for the buck laptop if not desktop even. I considered moving onto mac, but personally the cost of a 13'' MBP doesn't seem that reasonable, although I've heard they are really reliable, being a PC user my whole life I doubt the transition would be easy.

My budget isn't too high either, being around 600-800 depending on what there is available. Perhaps even a bit more if its a deal i really couldn't pass up. I don't need this now, so chances are I can wait, but I figured I'd get a head start by asking Beyond.

I am looking for an all round system, of course I doubt there will be a system that satisfies all of the things I mentioned with a decent price tag, as a perfect system for a perfect price just doesn't exist. But I'm Asian and cheap so I'm just really hoping for the best!

Sorry to hijack the thread! Thanks everyone! Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

cjay^
12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by nykz
I didn't want to start another thread, however this HP laptop of mine that I've had for 3 years now has been shitting out on me and I think its time for a change. By this I mean the obnoxiously loud fan it has, random occurrences where the screen goes black, constant overheating etc..

Unfortunately my knowledge with laptops, processors, and what not are really limited. Now that I think about it, I suppose I don't need a laptop either as I hardly bring it to class, and something reasonably priced for a desktop with a decent size screen wouldn't be too bad either. I tend to watch movies a lot and shows etc.

My daily uses for my current laptop include documents, browsing Beyond, music, movies and I have been getting into some photography lately, so it would be nice if it could handle some photo editing as well. As my current HP laptop takes forever to load Photoshop and Lightroom.

Slight gaming I suppose, although I haven't touched any games for 2 years now, it wouldn't hurt if it could handle some games. As this laptop that I have now, could barely handle any RPG's, as the graphics are so horrible and the FPS I receive is just ridiculously low.

I'm just looking for opinions right now to see what would be a better buy, I know DELL has their day deals currently, except with my lack of knowledge and my oriental background, I really want the best bang for the buck laptop if not desktop even. I considered moving onto mac, but personally the cost of a 13'' MBP doesn't seem that reasonable, although I've heard they are really reliable, being a PC user my whole life I doubt the transition would be easy.

My budget isn't too high either, being around 600-800 depending on what there is available. Perhaps even a bit more if its a deal i really couldn't pass up. I don't need this now, so chances are I can wait, but I figured I'd get a head start by asking Beyond.

I am looking for an all round system, of course I doubt there will be a system that satisfies all of the things I mentioned with a decent price tag, as a perfect system for a perfect price just doesn't exist. But I'm Asian and cheap so I'm just really hoping for the best!

Sorry to hijack the thread! Thanks everyone! Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15-6-laptop-featuring-intel-core-i3-350m-processor-as5745pg-5610-black-as5745pg-5610/10159694.aspx?path=1c9cd33d161ed2d60e82e67cfc71a49fen02

Get that one. You get an i3-350M which is more than enough, a mid range video card that will let you play Starcraft 2/other games on medium/high. Its nice and slim, decent battery life, and even has a touch screen!

nykz
12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&ref=hbn

The XPS 8100 Desktop looks like a pretty good buy, any opinions? Really tempted to pull the trigger on this one... a little out of my price range, but from what I can tell, it looks like a decent deal?

captain134
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by nykz

I just bought the acer timeline. It is $699
13.3" LED display
switchable graphics
i3 processor
1gb ATI video car
8 hour battery life
I can play any game out right now maxed out. I have been nothing but impressed with it so far. Check it out.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX30562(ME).aspx

StreetRacerX
12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by captain134

I just bought the acer timeline. It is $699
13.3" LED display
switchable graphics
i3 processor
1gb ATI video car
8 hour battery life
I can play any game out right now maxed out. I have been nothing but impressed with it so far. Check it out.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX30562(ME).aspx

Damn that's better than the HP I just bought and it costs the same. I have an HP with the Phenom II 3 core processor, 600 GB HD, 2.2ghz, Ati Radeon 4250 Video card, the screen is 14-15", and Windows 7.
I can play Oblivion on ultra high graphics(without mods) just fine but when I started adding texture packs and what not the game began to slow down tremendously when out in the wilderness, I'm happy with it though, FallOut 3 can be choppy at High graphics as well, still playable.

captain134
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX

Damn that's better than the HP I just bought and it costs the same. I have an HP with the Phenom II 3 core processor, 600 GB HD, 2.2ghz, Ati Radeon 4250 Video card, the screen is 14-15", and Windows 7.
I can play Oblivion on ultra high graphics(without mods) just fine but when I started adding texture packs and what not the game began to slow down tremendously when out in the wilderness, I'm happy with it though, FallOut 3 can be choppy at High graphics as well, still playable.

yeah I thought the acer was a good deal. Plus I replaced the HD with a 128gig solid state drive($189) and it made the laptop way faster then it already was. For example windows 7 boot up (with skype and a few other programs) was about 3 minutes before the SSD and its about 20-25 seconds to fully boot up now with the SSD.

JfuckinC
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
bump, what's the best going right now? I'm going to actually buy one now haha :rofl:

i got lazy before and didn't bother.. but now i want to download a shit load of new music so i figured i'll start over and not download ANYTHING but good stuff on a new laptop cause i have so much garbage on mine...

you guys know WAY more than me.. any help would be appreciated :angel:

ercchry
08-11-2011, 11:09 AM
since the invention of the ipod touch/ipad the need for personal on the go computing in my world at least has gone down a lot. i think a good tower with a 32"+monitor and an apple product would be the best combo

HiTempguy1
08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
The Source has a Compaq that you MUST buy.

http://www.shoptoit.ca/brand-gateway-inc/gateway-nv5922h-15-6-inch/19228565/#OnlineRetailers

It has a standalone ATI 5650 gpu. For the price, it is THE best laptop you can get performance wise. Nothing for that price will come close to being as good. However, it appears they clearance sold them and they are no longer listed on thesource.ca's website. I know that a couple of stores in Alberta had them left; you should buy one.

spike98
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
I plan on getting the Lenovo X220. Redflagdeals has a 25% off coupon right now.

•Intel Core i5-2410M Processor (2.30GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
•Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) (manually selected downgrade from Windows 7 Professional))
•12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna (manually selected)
•Intel HD Graphics
•2 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
•Keyboard - US English
•250GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
•6 Cell Battery
•ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n

$711.75 plus free shipping

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/alldeals/comments/lenovo_back_to_school_25_off_most_thinkpads_notebooks_redflagdealscom_exclu

Justing
08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
If your ok with 17":
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10352555&whse=BCCA&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BCCA|84|22497&N=4011462 4294967235&Mo=9&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

$599 in store, thought it was a pretty decent deal.

b_t
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
since the invention of the ipod touch/ipad the need for personal on the go computing in my world at least has gone down a lot. i think a good tower with a 32"+monitor and an apple product would be the best combo
you might be different but I can't type for shit on a touchscreen, and even if I tough it out and deal with my wpm going from 110 to less than 40, I get horrible pain in my forearms & wrists after about 15 minutes. tablet PCs usually cost roughly the same as low end laptops anyway and can do way less shit. Apps are for idiots who somehow can't operate web browsers.

if you want to get a tablet, the iPad is probably the best option but check out its competitors. if you want a laptop, ask yourself if the Macbook form factor is nice enough to justify the massively inflated price. if you want to buy a desktop, don't get a Mac - period.

JfuckinC you might want to check this out http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX32716(ME).aspx
15.6" monitor, has a 2nd gen Core i3 so its relatively quick and gets kickass battery life. it has little to no gaming ability. you can get other cheaper laptops too.. but anything you find at BestBuy or Future Shop, check for a comparable model at Memex first.

big retailers are not so good for any computer purchase.

ercchry
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
yeah i never type on mine, but surfing the web, music, video, etc is the main things that you do on the go. writing docs or responding on forums is more of a sitting at home/office type thing where a desktop would be located... same with downloading crap.

drtoohotty1
08-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
The Source has a Compaq that you MUST buy.

http://www.shoptoit.ca/brand-gateway-inc/gateway-nv5922h-15-6-inch/19228565/#OnlineRetailers

It has a standalone ATI 5650 gpu. For the price, it is THE best laptop you can get performance wise. Nothing for that price will come close to being as good. However, it appears they clearance sold them and they are no longer listed on thesource.ca's website. I know that a couple of stores in Alberta had them left; you should buy one.

Which ones do you know have it?

5hift
08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
bumping thread ...

same situation as OP. Need a laptop under 500 with about the same capabilities, within the week.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5hift
08-28-2011, 01:17 PM
these seem to be the best deals I can find

any opinions on these:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-14-laptop-featuring-intel-pentium-b940-processor-dv4-4038ca-espresso-black-dv4-4038ca/10171937.aspx?path=b854cd21f9e6c07efc6c6e94dd04775cen02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15-6-intel-core-i3-380m-laptop-as5742-6863-black-as5742-6863/10171728.aspx?path=4c6862eeffbb85f862bc6b4e219de503en02

spacerz
08-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I just bought two of these...I think its a very good bang for your buck. Upgraded video/audio cards...quad core...etc. Bestbuy stores have them up back (you have to ask for them) so they are not on display!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-15-6-laptop-featuring-amd-quad-core-a6-3400m-as5560-blue-as5560-sb410/10172576.aspx

dj_rice
08-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Those new AMD A6 and A8 quad cores are pretty good bang for buck processor compared to the Sandy Bridge i5's.