PDA

View Full Version : A-10C simulation

DayGlow
12-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I've been a flight sim junkie since I was 10 and playing Micropose Gunship and F-19 on my C-64 :D

I can't wait for DCS A-10C to be released, it looks amazing and a very in depth simulation of the A-10. I've prepurchased and have been playing around with the beta.

highly recommended to watch in HD
WUu4SV3GjVw

Now this isn't your HAWX type action game. Here's a video of a cold start on the ramp. Personally I would never do this, but gives you an idea of how deep the systems being simulated
aSIGzDMJ-ik

Some of crazy things people are doing with it. Thrustmaster makes MFD frames and people are adding screens to them and exporting the MFDs from the game

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/El_Roto1/DSCN0778.jpg

schocker
12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
That looks pretty cool. I am a pretty big fan of FSX, but cannot find my joystick so I cannot play it :rofl:
That setup though is nuts though, would be even better with multiscreen, but I can imagine how much those displays cost.

kevie88
12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Did you ever play this on DOS many years back? Man I killed a LOT of hours on this game as a young man..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-10_Tank_Killer

New game looks awesome.

Hakkola
12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow that's cool, one of my favorite planes too.

revelations
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I started with FS4.0 back in 1993... had to move away from those games because I would fly for hours, to nowhere..... and would actually enjoy it.

BlackArcher101
12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I haven't played a combat sim since Falcon 4, but I may buy this. Looks amazing.

DayGlow
12-04-2010, 09:54 PM
for a cool $500 you can buy the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS setup which is a replica of the actual jet

http://www.laptopdrv.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/thrustmaster-shipping-hotas-warthog-moody-controller-this-month-for-1.jpg

An essential piece of kit is TrackIR. it you can look around naturally within the game. You can see it in the second video clip. It also works great in racing sims.

This is a great video explaining how it works (in Arma2, another great sim game)

9wXx3vMy_AQ

DayGlow
12-04-2010, 10:58 PM
found this on youtube:

lottery money setup with projectors

HWm9PtzWvko&feature=related
:eek:

if car racing is more your thing:

q4Yq_6NoNZQ&feature=related

tictactoe2004
12-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
An essential piece of kit is TrackIR. it you can look around naturally within the game. You can see it in the second video clip. It also works great in racing sims.

Meh, it's over rated.. I have one for my racing sim but rarely use it. It's far from being natural, it feels really strange when you turn your head from side to side while looking at a monitor that isn't moving. I can't even play properly when using it to look around.

There is one benefit it has though, I shut off the part that senses turning your head up and down and just leave on the part that can sense how close you are to the monitor and how high or low your sitting. If i'm racing something like Laguna Seca on that really tight turn right after the up hill part I can actually move my head closer to the monitor and sit up a little and I can see up and over the hood to get a better look at the road infront of me.

Personally I can't wait for the new mechwarrior to come out, apparantly they have all the legal issues worked out and it will be released. I think i'm going to build a full size real cockpit with all real working buttons, hahaha I can't wait.

xw5BoRwGiFE

DayGlow
12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I run an eyefinity setup so I have really good FOV to the sides, but I still like my TrackIR. I got used to it within a few hours of using it and don't even notice it now. I guess it's a personal thing.

Rat Fink
12-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Crymson
12-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Dayglow,

It's not crazy money. I bet a guy could build that setup for under 5,000$ with used projectors and a DIY screen.

Do you run projectors with your eyefinity setup? Or trip lcd monitors?

n1zm0
12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I run an eyefinity setup so I have really good FOV to the sides, but I still like my TrackIR. I got used to it within a few hours of using it and don't even notice it now. I guess it's a personal thing.

i used to run TrackIr with 6 DOF for arma 2 and wings of prey, absolutely awesome, i never recorded my in cockpit views for wings of prey but in an online dogfight it was a definite advantage. besides the overall view of looking around at a relatively quick snap, you could also move closer to the screen into the gun reticle for better aiming which also proved to be important. i would liek to do triple LCD screen but TrackIR 6 DOF is good for now - flight sims are fun as hell but i dont play them as much as other genres.

just some of my rounds all using TrackIR and an older logi wingman, too bad i didnt record any in-cockpit:

b7nKPDfUzZg

lHQxDVvbw9k

treg50
12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been a flight sim junkie since I was 10 and playing Micropose Gunship and F-19 on my C-64 :D ...

Originally posted by kevie88

Did you ever play this on DOS many years back? Man I killed a LOT of hours on this game as a young man..

Nice, I played all those games too! I still have the awesome manual for F-19. Man I loved studying that thing as a kid! You may also recall F-15 Strike Eagle 1 & 2 (this was on DOS and OS/2, lol).

DayGlow
12-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I've played a lot of the sims as they came and went through the ages. Here's a great youtube channel to reminisce over:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlightSimMuseum

DayGlow
12-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Still learning to fly and navigate the Hog, but this video shows how in-depth the JTAC (Joint Tatical Air Controller) is

xx8z0BuGKDs&sns=em

old&slow
12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
^????

ryder_23
12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Still learning to fly and navigate the Hog, but this video shows how in-depth the JTAC (Joint Tatical Air Controller) is

xx8z0BuGKDs

n1zm0
12-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
^????

i think he's getting info from an AWACS A/C higher above to direct fire, pretty cool if that's the case, is that game MP Dayglow?

DayGlow
12-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Yup and rumor is that one player can take the role of the JTAC and designate targets for other players. The JTAC can be another aircraft, a unit on the ground or even a drone.

mucat
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Can't believe there are so many flight sim junkies here. My first sim was Their Finest Hour. Then I have Red Baron, Aces of pacific, F-117, F-15 Strike Eagle III, Falcon 3.0, etc....all the way now, Falcon 4 (spiral binder version ;) ), IL2 series, EECH/EEAH. I believe I still have most of my sims in original boxes.

Even since I have kids though, I have less time for gaming so I haven't done any simming for a long while.

CUG
01-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

New game looks awesome.
C:/
dir.exe
C:/dynamix

I remember that lol.

Phenix
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
That is a hell of a hard core set up. I need to get a good pc to do this.