PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Parking Prices Vs. The WORLD

Hakkola
12-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Well we know Calgary is the 2nd most expensive for unreserved parking in N.A. but how do we measure up globally?

Top 25
http://www.colliers.com/Country/UnitedStates/content/colliersparkingratesurvey2010.pdf

Graham_A_M
12-04-2010, 10:08 PM
$940 British pounds to park in London for a month, holy shit cakes.
:eek:

TeamBestBud
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

All figures are in USD, bro. Still ridiculous though.

polarice
12-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Nice data.

Paying for parking is one of my biggest pet peeves. I feel gouged every time I have to park on campus $5 an hour for a max of $20 a day. Same with hospitals too.

I just wonder what the cost of "running" a parking lot is versus the profit made.

PulsePro
12-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

It's what, $600 to park in downtown for a month in Calgary?
London is very tight and compact while Calgary isn't. Therefore, Calgary is more expensive if you scale it the same way.

Muji
12-05-2010, 01:37 AM
At least in a real world class city one has terrific mass transit to fall back on, Calgary is not at this level. I also believe there is a tax on vehicles entering central London, you need a permit and that is not factored in I would say. Getting to Tokyo you must have a vehicle pass and they run something like $26 to enter the central city from the burbs. Hong Kong has to be a mess to drive and own a car $$$, it is a cool place though.

fireball
12-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Our parking prices are a function of the 'Go Plan' from decades ago. The plan was intended to drive people to transit by restricting parking. Any buildings that were approved in downtown Calgary didn't have enough parking for the people that worked there let alone any excess.

So, demand is high and supply is low. Price goes up. Economics 101. The city manufactured the low supply and continues to do so.

The language they use now is different that it was in the '80's though. Now they say they restrict parking to the number of vehicles the exixting roadways can handle, instead of an attempt to drive people to transit.

The high downtown prices have migrated to the rest of the city.

Don't get me started on water prices! Once again - we're the second highest in NA and we have some of the highest water prices in the world........

We have a political problem, not a parking or water problem.