PDA

View Full Version : ummm i cant find my block heater!

ApexDrift
01-05-2004, 05:57 PM
yeah i drive a 88 CRX and i have no clue if i have a block heater where should i look... my car is so fuckin cold everytime i sit down i get ball retraction!

GTS Jeff
01-06-2004, 03:38 PM
u might not have one at all dude :eek:

sputnik
01-06-2004, 03:55 PM
the block heater will not warm your seats... it just keeps the oil from turning into a big block of jello.

hjr
01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
the block heater will not warm your seats... it just keeps the oil from turning into a big block of jello. i was under the impression it kept the coolant warm and therefor the block slightly less cold. makes it easier to start. I guess in the end the oil is warmer though.

As for the CRX, you may not have a block heater. If you do it will be on the block, and generally it seems that they are on the back of the engine. Is there a cord anywhere?

GTS Jeff
01-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
the block heater will not warm your seats... it just keeps the oil from turning into a big block of jello. by oil u mean coolant, right?

ApexDrift
01-06-2004, 04:26 PM
you got to be pretty dumb if you think the block heater heats your seats!... i used ball retaction as a example of how cold my car is!.... anywho!... no i dont see a cord anywhere so im gunna say i dont have one...where can i buy one?....crappy tire!?

hjr
01-06-2004, 05:38 PM
ya, it needs to be installed as well. im not sure how much the costs are though. (frost plug must be pulled out and heater put in)

CRX-R
01-06-2004, 05:44 PM
The block heater on the CRX is not at the back of the engine, if one has been installed on your car it will be on the front of the engine underneath the exhaust manifold. It would have replaced the frost plug pretty much right in the middle of the block. You can buy a block heater from anywhere, but installing it yourself could prove to be a little tricky especially if you don't even know where to look for one. Good luck

MK3HKS
01-06-2004, 06:17 PM
sorry for the jack up man....

but anyone know where i can find my block heater for my 91 accord exr

hjr
01-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MK3HKS
sorry for the jack up man....

but anyone know where i can find my block heater for my 91 accord exr autovalue. part source. canadian tire. honda dealer. any car part retailer.

MK3HKS
01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by hjr
autovalue. part source. canadian tire. honda dealer. any car part retailer.

hahahahhahah i knew that mang!!

i wanted to know if it came stock and where its hiding, like the plug so i could plug into my extension cord
:thumbsup:

rice_eater
01-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
by oil u mean coolant, right?

no man it's the oil...your coolant is fine till like what -40ish? It's the oil that it warms up. The point is to keep the oil from getting pasty so it can lubricate properly.

CRX-R
01-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

no man it's the oil...your coolant is fine till like what -40ish? It's the oil that it warms up. The point is to keep the oil from getting pasty so it can lubricate properly.

:werd: he's right on that one :thumbsup:

Idratherbsidewayz
01-07-2004, 12:49 AM
I have a bit of a dilemma. Turns out they don't make block heaters for SR20DET's, will the one off of a SR20DE work??

CRX-R
01-07-2004, 01:01 AM
It should be just fine, I'm not even going to pretend I know alot about nissan's but I don't see there being a problem with it. It's the same block is it not?

benyl
01-07-2004, 01:10 AM
I would give you mine. Haven't used it once since I bought my car... to bad it won't fit.

GTS Jeff
01-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater

no man it's the oil...your coolant is fine till like what -40ish? It's the oil that it warms up. The point is to keep the oil from getting pasty so it can lubricate properly. dont they have special oil pan heaters that work for the oil?

if a block heater doesnt work on the coolant, why would it be plugged into a frost plug?

sputnik
01-07-2004, 07:47 AM
oil or coolant...

depends on the car... depends on the block heater...

some block heaters keep the oil in the pan from getting too cold... some block heaters are basically a 2 inch element in one of the freeze plugs that warms the coolant... coolant is good to -40 however it is also a really good conductor when it is warmed which keeps the block a bit warmer.

when i said "keeps the oil from turning into a big block of jello" it was more to explain that his nuts would still be cold when sitting down... block heater or not

benyl
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Just going on pure logic, it would make sense that the purpose of a block heater is to keep the oil from turning to sludge.

They say that the most wear and tear that happens to an engine is right after start up. Oil that is sludge won't lubricate very well.

You don't need coolant in a motor until it is at running temperature (thermostat only opens when the engine is warm enough).

I could be wrong...

rice_eater
01-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
you got to be pretty dumb if you think the block heater heats your seats

then maybe you should get your English past a grade 9 level and clearly explain your question before anything else. Block heater or not your car will take just as long to warm up so get a car starter or let your car run for a few mins before hopping in

GTS Jeff
01-08-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Just going on pure logic, it would make sense that the purpose of a block heater is to keep the oil from turning to sludge.

They say that the most wear and tear that happens to an engine is right after start up. Oil that is sludge won't lubricate very well.

You don't need coolant in a motor until it is at running temperature (thermostat only opens when the engine is warm enough).

I could be wrong... what u are describing is called an oil pan heater which goes in your oil pan, not the block. what goes in the block to heat the coolant is called a block heater.

and yes, going by pure logic, an oil pan heater makes more sense. i am not too sure why oil pan heaters arent used more.

three.eighteen.
01-08-2004, 04:10 AM
Copied from shell.ca's motoring tips:

"A block heater is essentially an electrical element which is located in the engine block and provides a source of heat to the engine cylinders and upper part of the crankcase.

A block heater will actually keep the antifreeze in the engine block warm, and it in turn will radiate the heat outwards to the cylinder walls, keeping the oil film from thickening.

The other advantage of a block heater lies in the fact that when an engine initially starts, the oil which is pumped from the oil pan to the crankcase is more likely to warm up more quickly to a manageable viscosity or flow if the cylinder block has been pre-heated. Consequently, the oil attains optimum circulating pressure more rapidly and lubricates the engine's moving parts more effectively."

benyl
01-08-2004, 10:54 AM
oh... maybe I should plug in my car on really cold days...

hockeybronx
01-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Hey man you might not have a block heater. I have a 99.5 Jetta and it doesn't have a block heater either. I have no clue where to find one I have to start looking, you may just want to try Auto Value, or Part Source, or Canadian Tire to see if they can help you out. It sucks when you are sitting inside and you see your car out there freezing in 30 below weather without any heat. :thumbsdow

Ichigo
01-08-2004, 09:11 PM
I've heard that rad heater unit's work better than traditional block heaters.. Plus they are easier to install..