PDA

View Full Version : Box question

sparticus1313
01-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Hey, I'm planning on buying a new box for my 2 JL Audio 10wO's. Their websites recommends having .5-.9 cubic feet of air space per sub in a sealed box, and .9-1.5 cubic feet in a ported enclosure. First of all, does a bigger box mean louder bass? Can I exceed the recommened amount of air space without hurting the sound? Also, I listen to heavy metal/rock, so would a sealed or bandpass box be better for my music?

Thanks alot,
Michael

tt398
01-11-2004, 05:14 PM
A bigger box GENERALLY means deeper bass. There is a ported alignment that uses a box about 1.5 times the calculated volume used for an optimally tuned port enclosure. This is called an EBS (etended bass shelf) alignment. With some woofers, this alignment causes a significant decrease in power handling. This is a generality - and it depends upon the Thiele-Small parameters of the woofer you are using.

You could use some modeling software to play with the box volume and port dimensions ... I like WinISD - it is a good beginners program - and it is free for the download at

http://www.linearteam.dk

You'll need to get the Thiele-Small parameters from the JL Audio website if they aren't already included with the program.

Send me a PM if you need some help.

;)