PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about changing phones..

Skrilla
12-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Tried to ask the Bell store here but all she wanted to do was sell me a phone, and not answer my ?.....

Anyways, I currently have a Galaxy S phone that I just bought, having smart phones for the last few years I find myself using the benefits less and less so I was curious...If I have my Galaxy under a contract but buy a cheaper non smart phone instead and activate it, can I sell the Galaxy to someone?

I am assuming when you activate the new phone, there is no contract on the Galaxy anymore....just want to clarify :thumbsup:

tha_bandit
12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
u can sell your phone but the contract will still exist, some providers charge a fee if u wanna 'downgrade' to a cheaper plan, etc.

Skrilla
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
So both phones would be under contract? hmm..thought if i activated a new one the other would be sold as a no contract phone...So how would I sell it if im still under the contract.

tha_bandit
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
a 'phone' is not under contract really, u can sell your existing phone and just use another phone under the same contract, meaning u sell your hardware but the plan stays the same...

ex. I have my iphone under a 3 year contact, i can sell the iphone whenever I want and use any shitty ass phone I want, but the contract (remaining term) stays the same. The plan itself can change (voice/data) but the term (3 years, or remaining time) still applies.

Skrilla
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by tha_bandit
a 'phone' is not under contract really, u can sell your existing phone and just use another phone under the same contract, meaning u sell your hardware but the plan stays the same...

ex. I have my iphone under a 3 year contact, i can sell the iphone whenever I want and use any shitty ass phone I want, but the contract (remaining term) stays the same. The plan itself can change (voice/data) but the term (3 years, or remaining time) still applies.

Ahh ok, thats the answer I wanted. Ya I can sell the phone, just the contract exists under whatever phone you want.

raceman6135
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
In addition to the advice already given, depending upon your contract details, you may have a penalty for dropping the data portion of your plan/features.

Some promotions required you to have a total of a 3-year commitment, and for the first 1 year, you might have to have a minimum of $30/month data add-on.

There may also be a handset swap fee, so you may have to negotiate to have that fee waived, or be prepared to swap handsets online if your provider has that option.