PDA

View Full Version : Optik Manditory Free Upgrade = +$40/mo!!

Sugarphreak
12-07-2010, 09:33 PM

JordanAndrew
12-07-2010, 09:40 PM
ah well, switch to shaw and get an awesome package there instead.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2010, 09:57 PM

Scat E46
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
AFAIK, as this is mandatory, this gives you the right to close the contract without penalty.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Scat E46
12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
This is why I absolutely hate Telus. I am with shaw.

Not to mention Shaw internet is considerably faster all the time - I had telus for 2 years, I've had my shaw for 3 months now. Love it - besides the first billing problems and screw ups with student discount.

I would honestly switch to shaw over that - that is redic.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

eblend
12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
just call retentions and tell them your case, i am sure they will bend backwards if you are a long time customer.

by the way, shaw doesn't offer anything near as good (assuming you are talking about tv service and not just internet). I switched from shaw 3 month ago and finally living in the 21st century, and just switched my parents today (who were already on the best deal shaw would offer) since their deal still sucks, and the PVR is from like the 1980s in terms of the interface.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Scat E46
12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Just talking internet - don't watch TV.

From prior experiences, if I were to get TV, it would be Bell Satellite.

eblend
12-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46
Just talking internet - don't watch TV.

From prior experiences, if I were to get TV, it would be Bell Satellite.

Funny, 3 month ago I transfered from bell to Telus, and 6 month earlier from Shaw to Bell, and yes Bell is a ton better then Shaw, but Telus for me has been rock solid (optik). I know their old TV service was horrible and I would have never ever in my lifetime recommended it to anyone, Optik for me has been the game changer (really the single dvr thing is amazing). If you are on the old platform, definatelly switch to Optik, would be silly not to.

As for the internet component of it..I switched from Shaw for the internet and haven't been happier, my internet actually remains fast in the evenings, whereas before I would drop down to 300kb on my usenet downloads in the evening, with Telus I keep a constant 1.1MB any day and time of the week.

Q-TIP
12-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I have had Optik for about 4 months now and I have to say I haven't been happier with TV. I like the channel selections as I was able to get the channels I want without buying as many other channels I didn't want.

Coming from Shaw the internet is phenomenal. I had never ending issues with shaw either not working properly or slowing down at key points in the day. So far I have managed to get a consistent 14-15 mbps on speedtest.net with my TV boxes off. With all three HD boxes running I am still around 7 mbps. With Shaw I was lucky to break the 7 mbps speed barrier at 2am on a Sunday morning. Maybe it is my location but I am much happier now.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2010, 09:15 AM

arian_ma
12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by eblend

As for the internet component of it..I switched from Shaw for the internet and haven't been happier, my internet actually remains fast in the evenings, whereas before I would drop down to 300kb on my usenet downloads in the evening, with Telus I keep a constant 1.1MB any day and time of the week.
Is it just me that has never experienced this magical decline in Shaw's internet service to 15% of it's normal rate? Yeah, my internet may not seem as snappy in the afternoon (1 second to respond instead of 0.5), but I have never seen my downloads drop to anything below 7 or 800 kb/s on a reputable site. If it's something like the Microsoft site, I have downloaded at 2 mb/s in the evening no problem, and same goes for torrents.

Their TV may be better, but you are kidding yourself if you think Telus internet is better.

ercchry
12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Yeah I will have to give them a call, although last time I tried to inquire I was on hold for like a half hour... I wonder if there are any other alternatives for high speed internet out there besides just Shaw and Telus.

i might be able to get you to skip the on hold part of calling shaw ;)

by the way, shaw doesn't offer anything near as good (assuming you are talking about tv service and not just internet).

telus called my parents about their tv service, they asked them how many tv's they had. they said 5, telus said sorry we cant support that many
:rofl:

desi112
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Optik is mega awesome

Tik-Tok
12-08-2010, 09:29 AM

That's the odd thing for me, though the advertised d/l rates are the same, when on Telus I never got any higher than 1.2MB/s with torrents, the day I switched to Shaw, I was getting over 2MB/s.

I had them both for a 2 week overlap, and Shaw won, no contest (but as I've said in the past, it probably depends on your area, I've got shitty old phone lines in my 1950's neighborhood, so that may have a lot to do with it)

Sugarphreak
12-08-2010, 09:35 AM

eblend
12-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

i might be able to get you to skip the on hold part of calling shaw ;)

telus called my parents about their tv service, they asked them how many tv's they had. they said 5, telus said sorry we cant support that many
:rofl:

They the person had no idea what they were talking about.

Optik supports 6 TVs from a single PVR. You can't watch that many at the same time though, but that is coming. Currently most people get 2HD and 1 SD stream simultaniously, with some getting 3HD and 1 SD. My parents house only has 2 people, so 2 HD is all they would need, how often do you watch all 5 TVs at the same time.

arian_ma, I had Shaw for over 12 years....and now on Telus...yes I think Telus internet is better...I must be kidding myself, because obviously 12 years isn't enough to get an opinion on the service provided.

There is a benefit to Shaw customers however with so many people switching...Shaw internet may actually become fast once again in the evening, as more and more people move away.

Telus now uses a new fiber optic line to all of their distros (and to peoples homes in some areas), so their speeds are definatelly much faster then things used to be (used to have oldschool DSL way back when as well..it sucked)

ercchry
12-08-2010, 09:43 AM

They the person had no idea what they were talking about.

Optik supports 6 TVs from a single PVR. You can't watch that many at the same time though, but that is coming. Currently most people get 2HD and 1 SD stream simultaniously, with some getting 3HD and 1 SD. My parents house only has 2 people, so 2 HD is all they would need, how often do you watch all 5 TVs at the same time.

i would say they did know :dunno:

at the time 4 tv's were used simultaneously, with a 5th recording to pvr, so 5 tv's at once.... which telus can not handle

arian_ma
12-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I've had Shaw for a little over 10 years. Have had many friends with Telus, but admittedly, we were all in the same neighborhood and that may be a reason. For me though, Shaw > Telus internet 10/10 times.

SilverGS
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Seems like it really depends on the neighbourhood. In speaking with my coworkers some had trouble with Shaw so switched to Telus and others had trouble with Telus and switched to Shaw. All now seem content with their service.

eblend
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i would say they did know :dunno:

at the time 4 tv's were used simultaneously, with a 5th recording to pvr, so 5 tv's at once.... which telus can not handle

Didn't mention it originally, didn't realize that your parents were actully using all 5 (my parents just live by themselves, just the two of them and have 4 tvs so I thought it was a similar situation), no hard feelings

Q-TIP
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
5 TVs at once is definitely out of Telus' field of operations. However maybe your family should learn to do something other than watch TV in isolation :dunno:

That being said, my experience has been positive with Telus internet and TV but I know for a fact that a few of my friends live in areas where Shaw is much faster.

Scat E46
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Funny, 3 month ago I transfered from bell to Telus, and 6 month earlier from Shaw to Bell, and yes Bell is a ton better then Shaw, but Telus for me has been rock solid (optik). I know their old TV service was horrible and I would have never ever in my lifetime recommended it to anyone, Optik for me has been the game changer (really the single dvr thing is amazing). If you are on the old platform, definatelly switch to Optik, would be silly not to.

For me it's no contest - Shaw> telus. Always faster. I've hit 2.0mb/s regulary, torrents, downloads...

No way with telus.

ercchry
12-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Q-TIP
5 TVs at once is definitely out of Telus' field of operations. However maybe your family should learn to do something other than watch TV in isolation :dunno:

i dont live with them... and how can you even begin to fathom how many people live in the house or what their living situation is? for all you know they could have 3 kids, grandparents and a long lost uncle all in the same house

PulsePro
12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but I use Teksavvy as my backup/mega download/server hosting provider because of unlimited bandwidth and an option to have 10Mb/1.6mb download/upload rates.

eblend
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by PulsePro
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but I use Teksavvy as my backup/mega download/server hosting provider because of unlimited bandwidth and an option to have 10Mb/1.6mb download/upload rates.

Didn't know teksavvy had Calgary service, or u simply talking about a dedicated VM on the interwebs that you download stuff to (how do you transfer it to your computer after?) please explain

raceman6135
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
OP, definitely call TELUS retentions and ask them WTF.

My platform was upgraded this summer from Minerva to Optik and I did not have to change my service package, rates, etc. and I am not under contract.

I didn't have a pushy Latino, but like you, I was curious about possible fee increases. They assured me neither my TV nor internet rates would increase.

Sugarphreak
12-09-2010, 01:48 PM

ipeefreely
12-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Didn't know teksavvy had Calgary service, or u simply talking about a dedicated VM on the interwebs that you download stuff to (how do you transfer it to your computer after?) please explain

TekSavvy is available in Alberta and BC. You can bond two 6 lines together and get around 10/1.6 after overhead.

Not the cheapest option but you do get unlimited bandwidth.

I have one dryloop line with unlimited.:thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
12-17-2010, 03:07 PM

codetrap
12-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Why did you let them in?

Sugarphreak
12-17-2010, 03:41 PM

sr20s14zenki
12-17-2010, 07:58 PM

They were going to terminate the service on the 31st if I didn't

Just opinion, grow a pair and tell them to fuck off. You must have the patience of a saint. If the bitch on the phone told me the service would be terminated if i didnt give her my decision, i would immediately say "ok, cancel it, thank you"

Shaw has never let me down....maybe you should give them a call.

eblend
12-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Something is wrong, i haven't had a single issue with mine, it just always works.

Unknown303
12-18-2010, 07:42 PM

They were going to terminate the service on the 31st if I didn't

Come over to Shaw. It's better on our side....

Sugarphreak
12-18-2010, 09:34 PM

Unknown303
12-18-2010, 09:47 PM

I don't think it was a matter of patience in this case, they are upgrading the system in my neighborhood and the old TV system isn't going to be supported anymore.

As far as the pricing goes I think the person that called me was some kind of aggressive pitch person, she pretty much didn't seem to care if I canceled the service and said if I didn't agree to upgrade they would just cancel it immediately anyway... she seemed very unconcerned with client retention.

lol, definitely something is wrong... the sound has been cutting out for 5 minutes at a time about once an hour now too... Telus equipment is such garbage.

I will probably just cancel my TV and get a Netflix subscription instead to keep on top of any shows I want to watch.

Be warned Netflix only has older series. But it still great to watch and cheap as hell.

Sugarphreak
12-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Unknown303
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
just get shaw internet and download all the shows you want to watch. I've been doing that for 3 years now.

eblend
12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Just got optik installed at my parents place (already have it in mine) and their house is 28 years old, so I was a little worried, but works like a champ! getting 14mb down for internet, finally reliable phone (had shaw before...would cut out every once in a while) and good tv service, all works just fine, kind of surprised haha. So that makes it two places where Optik is installed and we are all happy campers, my parents are really pleased with watching their recording in any room, and having HD in every room is also great! I got 2 recievers free from Telus and then bought 2 for my parents, as a christmas present, they like it :)