PDA

View Full Version : Mark Webber Secretly Raced With a Broken Shoulder

Zephyr
12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/08/mark-webber-reveals-he-secretly-raced-with-a-broken-shoulder/

The Aussie contender just released his book, Mark Webber Up Front in which he revealed a second mountain bike accident earlier this year, the first time he got back on two wheels since the previous crash. According to Webber's account, he fractured his shoulder again after colliding with a friend while cycling offroad around the time of the Japanese Grand Prix. By the start of the race, the fracture had yet to recover, so he kept it secret from the public and from his team, took an injection and raced the grueling Suzuka track with the injury. If you picture how much an F1 driver gets tossed around the cabin and how much he has to turn that wheel, often against extreme G-forces, you'll have some idea of how excruciating the pain must have been.

Dam, that's truly hardcore, I got even more respect for the guy :thumbsup:

cloud7
12-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I have a lot of respect for the guy long before this. I don't know if it is common knowledge or not but Mark is the guy that drove the Mercedes-Benz CLR LeMans car when it went airborne during qualifying in 1999. He then got back into the car in the warmup session and the car flipped backward a few times. His car was withdrawn... but then a car driven by another Mercedes-Benz driver flipped his car during the race.

rage2
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
^ yup, I made a joke about how he likes to flip when he did it again this year in the RB.