PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on electric shavers?

ICEBERG
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi guy's

Looking into getting a new electric shaver. What is out there that is good? I have no idea how good they are compared to razor blades?

When i was young, i tried one of my dad's philips electric shaver, it pulled my hair so bad i got turned off by them. I been using a Razor blade for 25 years now.

I am looking into getting one for my father for christmas and i think my wife is looking for one to buy me.

No budget really. What should i look for when buying one. I have a sensitive skin, my dad does not. I am worried about rashes with it. Do they still pull your facial hair?

Any info would be great on what kind you guy's use and how you like them.

thanks,

cheers,

Pinner
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Personally I hate electric razors, a blade is much faster and does a much better job.

CapnCrunch
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Pinner
Personally I hate electric razors, a blade is much faster and does a much better job.

+1

Pacman
12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
It's been about 10 years since I've used one, so perhaps the technology has drastically changed since then......but the ones I have used (Phillips, Norelco, Remmington) all caused my face to burn/itch for hours after a shave. I do have a fairly thick, coarse beard, so that could be a contributing factor.

I started shaving with a DE safety razor and will never, ever use an electric razor again.

spike98
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree with all of the above.

bjstare
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I have a Braun Series 7 and I'm actually able to get a closer shave with this than a traditional razor. I have pretty sensitive skin, and the first couple times it was rashy, but your skin gets used to it. It's expensive in comparison, but I don't mind it. The time it takes to shave (if you shave every day or two) is roughly the same as a traditional razor. The series 7 also cleans itself and has a charging base.

swak
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
The thing I find with electric shavers is that you have to go over the same spot 1000000 times to get all the hairs, and even then the damn thing doesn't get everything.
I can't stand electric razors.

bball2
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a phillips electric that now collects dust. Much faster / cleaner to use a safety razor.

revelations
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Many people seem to think the newer Braun 7 series performs very well.

I just cant see myself spending 300$ on a device as opposed to a 12$, 4-bladed Shick razor (my favourite).

ICEBERG
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Thank's guys,

I think i will tell my wife to hold off on buying me one. I think i will stick with my Gillette Razors.:D

My old man still uses the electric shavers though. Is Braun Better than Philips or they are both the same quality?

Thanks,

Pacman
12-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I just cant see myself spending 300$ on a device as opposed to a 12$, 4-bladed Shick razor (my favourite).

For $12, I can get 120 DE razor blades that last a week each. :poosie:

raceman6135
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
My skin is the opposite of most guys' -- if I were to use a regular (safety) razor every day, I'd probably bleed to death.

I've been using a 5 year old Braun 3 series and I notice that it performs much better if I make sure to clean it thoroughly after each use, and replace the cutter and foil every 6 to 12 months.

When I shave with a Gilette and foam, I do get a slightly closer shave, and the stubble doesn't reappear as quickly as with the electric.

The electric is more convenient in that I can walk around in the morning and shave, and even take it with me in the car (but not while driving) if necessary -- that's not possible with a safety razor and foam.

I experience tugging and pulling with the electric if the stubble is too long. I can't have more than 1 or 2 days' growth if I want to use the electric. If it's longer than that, I pull out the safety and foam.

Last note: for me, the electric works best when my beard is dry and before I have my shower. This is in contrast to the safety and foam, which works better after my shower has softened my skin and beard.

Oh, and I'm definitely an older member of the board, and even after 30 years of shaving, my shaving experiences are the same now as when I started in puberty LOL

sputnik
12-08-2010, 12:41 PM
LOL @ the DE safety razor crowd that has trolled this thread.

Remington foil shavers are by far the best.

I have one and it shaves CLOSE. I got it for around $120 5-6 years ago and it is still going strong.

I personally don't mind the odd wet shave (like a woman enjoying a manicure/pedicure), but I prefer the convenience of electric especially when the shave is close enough that you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

freshprince1
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I recently cashed in my Petro Points for a Phillips Nivea For Men. It dispenses shaving cream whilst using, if you want. I have sensitive skin, so I thought his will be a good idea. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

http://www.cosmosintertrade.com/images/philips%20philishave%208060%20main.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
I've tried all brands/styles of electric razors and they do an abysmal job. They also irritate the hell out of my face.

A long time ago I switched to razors and I'll never go back. A Costco pack of Gillette Mach 3 disposable razors last me well over a year and it's like $20 or something. They take forever to get dull enough that it bothers me.

I can easily shave in 2 minutes with a razor and get a way better shave than an electric razor could ever give in 20 min.

For some people though electrics work OK, but after using a razor I can't imagine why someone would want to shave for longer for a shave that isn't as close.

LMVantage
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I've been using the Braun 5-series razor for a year now, and before that had a Remington Titanium (3 foils) for a number of years. The Braun is much nicer than the Remington, and it works extremely well. As others have stated, it doesn't get nearly as close a shave as a regular razor, but it's really close. I find that using a razor and foam/creme irritates my skin, whereas electric doesn't.

For those of you who find an electric razor irritates, did you make your decision about them after only one use? Your skin will take about 1-2 weeks (as a number of sources say) to get comfortable with an electric razor. If you want to know for sure how you like them, you have to use one consistently for a few weeks.

dj_rice
03-09-2024, 11:46 PM
Bumping this up as my Panasonic finally died after cant even remember 10-13 years of use.

Looking into the Arc 3 and Arc 5. Anyone got these? How are the Braun these days

The_Penguin
03-10-2024, 12:24 PM
How are the Braun these days

I like my Braun 7. Have alternated from Philips to Braun twice in my shaving life. Braun is my current fave.

dj_rice
03-10-2024, 03:22 PM
I like my Braun 7. Have alternated from Philips to Braun twice in my shaving life. Braun is my current fave.

Grabbed one today at Costco but really leaning towards the Panasonic cuz its JDM

killramos
03-10-2024, 06:22 PM
Currently using a brain series 9 as my daily. Does a good job, personally the brauns suck unless you buy in and get the clean and renew base use the fluid packs.

Performance drops off a cliff when you don’t use it

mr2mike
03-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Grabbed one today at Costco but really leaning towards the Panasonic cuz its JDM

Just use your other hand with any shaver = JDM.

ExtraSlow
03-10-2024, 06:58 PM
Just don't see the appeal of electric shavers.
Fine detailing clippers or safety razor are my preferred options.

killramos
03-10-2024, 07:08 PM
Just don't see the appeal of electric shavers.
Fine detailing clippers or safety razor are my preferred options.

Shaving while half asleep still. Saves time if you want to be clean shaven daily.

dj_rice
03-12-2024, 07:23 PM
After seeing all the reviews on Costco.ca of the Braun Series 7 and watching a few YT reviews comparison, will be grabbing a Arc 5. Hopefully its worth it.