PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning K&N Filter..

SAiamNE
01-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Just bought some spare parts for my RX-7. Along with some of the parts i bought a K&N air filter. Doesn't look to dirty but might as well clean it whaile i have it out. How do you go about cleaning one? Just rinse with tap water, let it dry and pop it back in? Also for sealing the air filter, is it alright to just use some gasket maker i have laying around? Dan gave me some K&N sealer stuff but it's not really all that thick..

Thanks

sxtasy
01-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Go to any auto store and pick up a K&N cleaner kit. It's easy to clean and directions are on the box.:thumbsup:

hjr
01-06-2004, 02:45 AM
I soaked mine in solvent then misted ATF fluid on mind. Its a ghetto filter cleaner kit. On second though, you may just want to pick up the kit...

colinderksen
01-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Pick up the kit, they are cheap. Take it out, brush off dirt/bugs, wash with hose from inside out, let dry, spray oil on, dry put back in. :D

GTS Jeff
01-06-2004, 03:35 PM
haha holy shit, whatever u do, dont just rinse it with tap water and throw it back on. the filter works by oil filtration, so u need to oil it after cleaning it. just buy the kit...i think its called filtercharger iirc

yohan4ws
01-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah... at the auto store its like 23bux from partsource .. good for as many refills as you'd need ..

Use tap pressure, dont squeeze the end or use a pressure wash from the car wash .. you'll rip the filter material ..

First I took mine off and tapped it on my hand a bit then used a softer bristle paint brush (dont ask about what happen when the paintbrush got used later) and wiped off all the bugs/pieces of leaves etc. that were stuck on it ..

Then I put the kitchen sink tap inside of it and let it wash all around inside and THEN .. per the directions, I sprayed on the K&N cleaning solvent and let it sit about 15-20mins and then rinsed it out more ... holy crap, so much dirt came out of my filter ... and it had a bit of a red hugh to it as well when washing out ...

I was in a rush so I used a hair dryer to dry it faster after letting it air dry for an hour .. directions say to let it sit overnight to air dry completely, then in the AM, douse it with the other spray bottle of K&N filter "oil" ? ?.. its the red stuff that you spray generously all over the filter that will catch the dirt etc. when going through the filter ...

let it sit about 10mins throw it back on your car and your good to go for another year. (or 50,000miles like K&N says)

and remember, K&N filters are proven on the dyno to give MORE power after they are dirty. :confused:

GT2NV
01-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
haha holy shit, whatever u do, dont just rinse it with tap water and throw it back on. the filter works by oil filtration, so u need to oil it after cleaning it. just buy the kit...i think its called filtercharger iirc
listen to the man he speaks the truth!

hockeybronx
01-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Go to Canadian tire and get the cleaning kit for like 30 bucks, the directions say you have to re-treat it every 100,000 miles or something.

tt398
01-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Use the kit supplied by K&N.
The filter won't work properly if not cleaned with the K&N kit
AND is treated with the K&N oil.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Gripenfelter
01-08-2004, 11:02 AM
I have 4 K&N filters on my car, the combined air flow acts like a turbo. When I added the 3 other filters I gained 46 RWHP :burnout:

EDIT: My co-wroker is on glue and was on my PC. :confused:

ninspeed
01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Go to Canadian tire and get the cleaning kit for like 30 bucks, the directions say you have to re-treat it every 100,000 miles or something.