PDA

View Full Version : Gaming ruins LED TV?

CMW403
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
My dad just bought a new 240hz 55" Samsung LED TV, when he was at London Drugs he mentioned his son (me) playing PS3 on it. He came home with the TV saying that the sales guy told him gaming ruins LED TV's. Obviously I had a temper tantrum.

I'm assuming this isn't true, anybody?

InRich
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
weird... also interested in anyone confirming....
They do have a LED monitor out as of recently... so...

Boat
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Your dad lied to you?

You are gullible as shit?

Temper Tantrum? Are you 5?

Muji
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Mowing the lawn and clearing snow help in making certain the LED is not damaged.

The TV should have a setting for game mode (which helps with the settings), this ought to eliminate any chance of damaging the unit. But an image is an image, NFL games or video games all the same. No TV maker would build a new TV without safe gaming, the market is simply too great to ignore.

London Drugs as an AV resource? No.

You are going to need some sort of email from Samsung Customer Support to show to your dad, otherwise he will flip IF anything does get stuffed while you are playing. That is what I would do.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2010, 01:59 PM
A game console is just another signal source. It's not going to ruin your LED TV if you game on it. IMO the guy at London Drugs doesn't know what he's talking about.

Kloubek
12-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Well first of all, gaming is no different than any other image you might have on the screen. The TV doesn't care if the subject it is showing is Sonic the Hedgehog, or Stewie from Family Guy.

The ONLY aspect which might cause issues is the fact that many games have static images on them which remain at all times. On the older LCDs, burn-in used to be a potential issue. I am not sure if it continues to be a consideration or not, but if 99% of the old LCDs didn't experience major issues with it, then I don't think the rates with newer TVs will be any worse.

PulsePro
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Well first of all, gaming is no different than any other image you might have on the screen. The TV doesn't care if the subject it is showing is Sonic the Hedgehog, or Stewie from Family Guy.

The ONLY aspect which might cause issues is the fact that many games have static images on them which remain at all times. On the older LCDs, burn-in used to be a potential issue. I am not sure if it continues to be a consideration or not, but if 99% of the old LCDs didn't experience major issues with it, then I don't think the rates with newer TVs will be any worse.

Don't you mean Plasma TVs? I haven't heard of a burn in on an LCD tv.\

Also, OP, conventional LCD TVs and LED tvs just use different backlights, the LEDs are smaller which in contrast makes the TVs thinner. LCDs just direct colours to the points/pixels.

ercchry
12-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
My dad just bought a new 240hz 55" Samsung LED TV, when he was at London Drugs he mentioned his son (me) playing PS3 on it. He came home with the TV saying that the sales guy told him gaming ruins LED TV's. Obviously I had a temper tantrum.

I'm assuming this isn't true, anybody?

:rofl:

yes gaming ruins it, more so when golf, hockey, or football is on

Disoblige
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Which London Drugs was the TV purchased at? :rofl:

I need to know.

supe
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Its not the signal, its the PS3 itself, it creates a distortion field that interferes with the LED wave lengths. If you wrap your PS3 in tin foil it'll prevent the problem.

SJW
12-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by supe
Its not the signal, its the PS3 itself, it creates a distortion field that interferes with the LED wave lengths. If you wrap your PS3 in tin foil it'll prevent the problem.

That tin foil is magical shit.

tha_bandit
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SJW

That tin foil is magical shit.

:rofl: at your avatar

Pollywog
12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
While the general consensus is that burn-in isn't an issue with LCD and LCD projection TV's, how many of you have stopped by an EB games/similar and seen burned static images/text on the demo screens? I have, but after years and years of gaming on my own LCD projection TV I have zero burn-in.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Burn in is all but a non-issue these days. Most TV's even have features you can turn on that shift the image such that it is not noticeable to avoid burn in.

I've played hundreds if not thousands of hours of gran turismo over the years on various TVs including Plasma and Rear projection, burn in was a non issue with the exact same image (speedo, etc.) being projected on the screen the whole time.

The only time I've ever seen it is in plasma TVs in the office where BNN or CNN or whatever is left on 24/7 for several years, even after people go home for the day. The banners get burnt in but even then it is VERY faint and you have to search for it.

n1zm0
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM

might as well do the controller too and the HDMI cord

but i've seen burn-in only once, was on a flatscreen LCD - one of those very very first gens when flat screens were just coming in to replace CRTs. the windows start button was burnt in. I have a newer Samsung LCD for PC and i once left it on desktop with no screensaver for almost a day and half straight (with a very very bright wallpaper at the time), no burn in yet.

pf0sh0
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I remember seeing burn-in on plasmas at best buy, never LCDs. LCDs had dead pixels... my comp screen has one right now :(

TorqueDog
12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
... go buy your own TV then.

Recca168
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
While the general consensus is that burn-in isn't an issue with LCD and LCD projection TV's, how many of you have stopped by an EB games/similar and seen burned static images/text on the demo screens? I have, but after years and years of gaming on my own LCD projection TV I have zero burn-in.

Might be the amount of usage of the tv itself. I'm no expert by far but I do have an older LCD tv at my office thats on basically 24x7. Over the last year i've been seeing a little burn in much like the TVs at EB.
:dunno:

SScott
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I think your dad is trying to tell you to move out pal

Muji
12-08-2010, 06:55 PM

I would start a new thread, but maybe you know the answer. Shiny side in or out when wrapped? I know on a BBQ baked potato it makes a world of difference.

CMW403
12-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Boat
Your dad lied to you?

You are gullible as shit?

Temper Tantrum? Are you 5?

Do you have a sense of humor?

You don't have a sense of humor?

"tantrum" now requires capitalization?

Originally posted by Muji
Mowing the lawn and clearing snow help in making certain the LED is not damaged.

Maybe if my dad let me clear the snow! He's got a plow on his quad and apparently he's the only one allowed to clear the driveway.

Originally posted by ercchry

yes gaming ruins it, more so when golf, hockey, or football is on

I'm the only one that watches any of those three sports.

Pollywog
12-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Muji
Shiny side in or out when wrapped? I know on a BBQ baked potato it makes a world of difference.

So with regards to a baked potato, is it shiny side in or out? I always thought it was in.

CMW403
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM

So with regards to a baked potato, is it shiny side in or out? I always thought it was in.

Pretty sure it's shiny side in

Cos
12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SScott
I think your dad is trying to tell you to move out pal

Yup either that or he doesnt want you to be using his new TV

ercchry
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM

yup, helps to trap the heat inside

D'z Nutz
12-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Not too sure about gaming, but I know how to triforce your dad's computer...

Tomaz
12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
A790 yelled at me when I burned an image into his TV after playing Mass Effect for 8 hours it can happen pretty easy on older plasma TVs. AFAIK, it's not much of an issue anymore. All the newest TVs have my safe-guards against any damage caused by games.

I would talk to a guy that doesn't work in a drug store.

Disoblige
12-09-2010, 10:34 AM
So which London Drugs was it at?

CMW403
12-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
So which London Drugs was it at?

Brentwood

ZenOps
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
LED backlit LCD can suffer burn in issues, as the light is from many LED's. The burn in issues can show up as localized to an area, much like plasma burn in.

CCFL backlit LCD, will slowly degrade in brightness over the entirety of the screen, but it will remain uniform until the CCFL burns out.

cde1966
12-09-2010, 01:59 PM
As alrady mentioned, your dad doesn't want you playing games on his TV. A few hours of work around the house everyday should fix the TV, then after a few weeks you'll see that the TV has had time to progreate and they'll be the pitter patter sounds of a new TV someplace else in the house all for you to use... I'm guessing that this is your step dad and you're 12 years old, just a guess mind you, but it sounds like your dad doesn't want to upset you too much for some reason so he's trying to shift the blame to the sales person. When my kids were younger and I wanted them to stop playing around and do more house work, I told them straight up and they understood exactly what I was saying. "Get off your ass, clean your room and take out the trash before you watch TV!"

tictactoe2004
12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
LED backlit LCD can suffer burn in issues, as the light is from many LED's. The burn in issues can show up as localized to an area, much like plasma burn in.

CCFL backlit LCD, will slowly degrade in brightness over the entirety of the screen, but it will remain uniform until the CCFL burns out.

That is not true. Any type of LCD screen can suffer burn in but it is a lot less common than a plasma TV because it usually takes a very long time (thousands of hours) to occur. It makes no difference what type of light is behind (or beside in the case of edge lit panels) the LCD panel itself.

CMW403
12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by cde1966
As alrady mentioned, your dad doesn't want you playing games on his TV. A few hours of work around the house everyday should fix the TV, then after a few weeks you'll see that the TV has had time to progreate and they'll be the pitter patter sounds of a new TV someplace else in the house all for you to use... I'm guessing that this is your step dad and you're 12 years old, just a guess mind you, but it sounds like your dad doesn't want to upset you too much for some reason so he's trying to shift the blame to the sales person. When my kids were younger and I wanted them to stop playing around and do more house work, I told them straight up and they understood exactly what I was saying. "Get off your ass, clean your room and take out the trash before you watch TV!"

The TV is going to progreate? sweet.

Are you really born in 1966? You may be one of the oldest motherfuckers on beyond. Since you're representing the senior demographic i'd say they'd appreciate it if you improved your spelling/grammar.

turbotrip
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
i have the same tv, and video games are fine

Boat
12-10-2010, 01:43 AM

Do you have a sense of humor?

You don't have a sense of humor?

"tantrum" now requires capitalization?

I laughed to myself at the story, and followed it up by asking some relatively serious questions, because you seemed pretty serious about wondering if it was actually true...

ZenOps
12-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

That is not true. Any type of LCD screen can suffer burn in but it is a lot less common than a plasma TV because it usually takes a very long time (thousands of hours) to occur. It makes no difference what type of light is behind (or beside in the case of edge lit panels) the LCD panel itself.

Depends on the LED as well, there is edge lit - which is constantly lit much like a CCFL, and then there is LED that powersaves, and LED localized. Any LED that is always "lit" will act like a CCFL, and have uniform degradation (however slow, it will still degrade)

Plasma is the only one that for sure has a chance of localized burn in, which means its a no for long periods of gaming or for use as a computer screen.

Most people are fine just reducing their brightness & contrast a little bit from factory (90%), and bringing it up one notch every year if they really want to maintain a viewably stable picture over the years.

Alterac
12-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Depends on the LED as well, there is edge lit - which is constantly lit much like a CCFL, and then there is LED that powersaves, and LED localized. Any LED that is always "lit" will act like a CCFL, and have uniform degradation (however slow, it will still degrade)

Degredation of the backlight is not "Burn In"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in

ZenOps
12-12-2010, 10:44 PM
LED's can burn in, depending on technology.

The new ones have what is sometimes called "Local dimming", which creates better black levels by not lighting the LEDs in the part of the screen that is supposed to be black. Its also slightly more energy efficient.

Which means that if you watch a lot of 4:3 material, the right and left edges will not light up, which means that they are disproportionately brighter in those areas when going back to widescreen. Which is most definitely "burn in".

So while Plasmas can burn an image into a very specific spot (like a logo) some LED's can prematurely age different areas of the screen at different intervals.

Personally: I would always turn of local dimming and waste some electricity, and live with a little bit of light bleed and imperfect blacks if it means complete screen uniformity throughout the life of the TV.

Kavy
12-13-2010, 12:55 AM

Each side reflects heat equally as well. Because people cook with Convention or Conduction and not Radiation reflective properties have no effect.

Even though the matte side scatters light in a different pattern then the shiny side no difference is made in heat absorption or retention.

The Shiny side and Matte side are just a result of the manufacturing process.

http://www.rollogrady.com/wp-content/themes/widgetimgs/tmyk.gif

Alterac
12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
LED's can burn in, depending on technology.

The new ones have what is sometimes called "Local dimming", which creates better black levels by not lighting the LEDs in the part of the screen that is supposed to be black. Its also slightly more energy efficient.

Which means that if you watch a lot of 4:3 material, the right and left edges will not light up, which means that they are disproportionately brighter in those areas when going back to widescreen. Which is most definitely "burn in".

So while Plasmas can burn an image into a very specific spot (like a logo) some LED's can prematurely age different areas of the screen at different intervals.

Personally: I would always turn of local dimming and waste some electricity, and live with a little bit of light bleed and imperfect blacks if it means complete screen uniformity throughout the life of the TV.

Your arguing about backlight brightness/evenness, not image surface.

Burn in is the degradation of the image production surface. (Aka the Phosphorous layer in plasma, and the TFT layer on the LCD Tv's)

Most LED's on the market have a L75 rating of around 35,000 hours (or more depends on the quality of the led), which is about 4 years of 24/7 usage before they get reduced to 75% of the original brightness. Chances are, the Panel of the TV itself, or some other component will fail before the Backlighting reaches its L75.

So, assuming you watch 4:3 content on your tv for 4 years straight, you would notice some funnyness at the edges of your tv once you switched to widescreen.

mucat
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I am surprise no one mentions Monster cables? A few years ago, my TV was suffering from a bad case of 3rd degree burn-ins over 90% of the surface. I went to London Drugs, bought a monster cable and my TV is cured. The End.

Mitsu3000gt
12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by mucat
I am surprise no one mentions Monster cables? A few years ago, my TV was suffering from a bad case of 3rd degree burn-ins over 90% of the surface. I went to London Drugs, bought a monster cable and my TV is cured. The End.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't even know where to start.