PDA

View Full Version : My Calgary BMW, issue #9

Xtrema
12-09-2010, 08:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/civx8.jpg

So I guess so many BMW engines are failing that they feel the need to mass e-mail everyone on how to handle a Engine light?

old&slow
12-09-2010, 09:28 AM
A few years ago I was so close to buying a BMW. I am so glad I stuck with Honda!

Aleks
12-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

So I guess so many BMW engines are failing that they feel the need to mass e-mail everyone on how to handle a Engine light?

Still more reliable than Audi :poosie:

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/main/2010%20JD%20Power%20VDS.JPG

Tik-Tok
12-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Useless chart

Lol at JD Power and associates "studies"

(I'm not arguing that Audi maybe be less reliable, but JD P&A studies are ridiculously unreliable)

The_Rural_Juror
12-09-2010, 09:48 AM
A few years ago I was so close to buying a Honda. I am so glad I stuck with Ferrari!

Tomaz
12-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
[IMG]

Not really what I thought when I read it. I see:

"The general populous are idiots. If the light turns on DO NOT FREAK OUT. Do a quick check before bring your car into us, it is likely something small. No matter how big you feel wearing your Ed Hardy, gas cans, and slicked back hair while yelling at our manager, you will feel pretty small after finding out you spent $200 for us to diagnose that you are an IDIOT and don't know how to put a gas cap back on. So seriously, check these few things before you waste our time and make yourself look like the idiot you truly are.

Sincerely,

The makers of your perpetual dougebag mobile."

Aleks
12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol at JD Power and associates "studies"

(I'm not arguing that Audi maybe be less reliable, but JD P&A studies are ridiculously unreliable)

What we need is reliability charts on reliability publications.

Zewind
12-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Another reason why I wish I had some mechanical background.

projekz
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz

"The general populous are idiots. If the light turns on DO NOT FREAK OUT. Do a quick check before bring your car into us, it is likely something small. No matter how big you feel wearing your Ed Hardy, gas cans, and slicked back hair while yelling at our manager, you will feel pretty small after finding out you spent $200 for us to diagnose that you are an IDIOT and don't know how to put a gas cap back on. So seriously, check these few things before you waste our time and make yourself look like the idiot you truly are.

Sincerely,

The makers of your perpetual dougebag mobile."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TorqueDog
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
CELs come on for the littlest of reasons in these cars. I had mine illuminate when I changed fuel stations (yes, the gas cap was tightened), it went away three days later.

Another time, it was because the pusher fan (front of the rad) decided to stop working. I wasn't really worried, it was -15* at the time, I was pretty certain the engine would keep cool without it.

Of course WE know what the CEL means, we're car people. Sadly, most people aren't car people, so they have no idea that a solid CEL is a warning, and a flashing CEL is a severe fault.

Skyline_Addict
12-09-2010, 11:46 AM
oh heck yes, time to get porsche 911 turbo S pdk. reliability is my number one concern.

Tik-Tok
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM

What we need is reliability charts on reliability publications.

I want some charts with breakdowns of retail repair costs

A chart for:

Major problems >$2000
Moderate problems $500-$2000
Small problems $100-$500
Negligible problems <$100

Are there any out there like that? I've never searched for one.

ddduke
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

&quot;The general populous are idiots. If the light turns on DO NOT FREAK OUT. Do a quick check before bring your car into us, it is likely something small. No matter how big you feel wearing your Ed Hardy, gas cans, and slicked back hair while yelling at our manager, you will feel pretty small after finding out you spent $200 for us to diagnose that you are an IDIOT and don't know how to put a gas cap back on. So seriously, check these few things before you waste our time and make yourself look like the idiot you truly are.

Sincerely,

The makers of your perpetual dougebag mobile.&quot;

+1
From what I've seen, most people freak when the light comes on and in my personal experience it's usually nothing. There's no point in every crazy house wife running to the dealership everytime a light comes on.

Xtrema
12-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Well played. I think I just escaped from a batch of bad water pump too. All 3.0T made before march 2010 has pretty high pump failure rate and Audi is quietly replacing them.

Redlyne_mr2
12-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Information like this is important. CEL's use to mean catastrophic failure on engines. Now they can be something as simple as an unsecured gas cap.

crapstixs
12-11-2010, 02:48 PM
i think that is awsome, more manufactors need to do that. its gotten so bad that now alot of cars have gas cap lights now. i think they went a little far with the tow in thing. if the mil light is flashing. then i would tow it in because then there is danger to the catalist.

JordanLotoski
12-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I find it hard to believe that jaguar ranked so low, it's been the most reliable car i have ever owned.

Maxt
12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
BMW=Bring More Wrenches ?

Tomaz
12-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski
I find it hard to believe that jaguar ranked so low, it's been the most reliable car i have ever owned.

You and I can trade Jags, you will soon retract your statement. lol