PDA

View Full Version : 300ZX TT Performance?

Spooned
01-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Anyone know how these guys handle? I was taking a look on
that ImportConcern site. I wouldnt mind having a right hander.
But im wondering what kind of potential these guys have?

How heavy they are, how they take corners, off the line??

How are they for after market support?

Is it an good starter car? They seem to be pretty reliable cars, but what do i know? hehe

any input would be greatly appreciated.

300ZX TT vs MX-6 Turbo?? Economically // Modability?? what do
you guys think?

Spooned
01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
also whats the latest year 300zx TT you can get here and whats the price tag with them?

Would it be more worth while to get an import from Importconcern for alot less? or get a new one for alot more?

lude_conduct
01-06-2004, 02:33 AM
I know 96 is the last year they were came to north america, dunno the price ranges. I know you'll pay around 40 grand for a very nice one though.

sandman
01-06-2004, 03:42 AM
96 ones are OBD-II and they droppped the variable cam timing, dont get one, theyre a lil slower, most Zs in good condition will go for about 25 ish, all the ohter ones hav high kms, blown turbos, injectors etc, not worht it, ur not getting wat u want so y pay, import concern might b able to get u one, jus check the condition, turbos are good, etc,if anyhtings the amtter w/ these cars its usually a pain in the ass and the wallet to get at, and jus not worht it
one route u coudl go is buy a non turbo w/ lotsa kms on it, but body is in good ocniditon, tonnes in cali, thas wehre i grabbed mine from, n go get a TT front clip, make sure its in good condition (low kms), and then after that, swap it in, thas wat i had done by autodream, they did an AMAZING job, despite watever ppl hav saiod back n forth id trust them wholeheartedly w/ my car, also when ur gettin ur swap done u can rip out the A/C, lose some weight, less strian on engine coz less pulleys, and, its calgary, if its hot out, take u t tops off....

as for modding, the standard is intake/ehxaust/ecu/pulleys, and ur about 420 @ th crank, most sites like www.sgpracing.com, or stillen will tell u this too, so for maybe 2500 u hav a damn fast car, handling is already decent on them, a couple of nice coils like JIC, zeal, HKS etc, pricey but worht it, along w/ struts/sway n better bushings and ur pretty much set for wateve ru hav in mind in that dept. power gains are pretty easy, only downpoiunt, the powerplant is a heat plagued one, so, place ur mods in a order so that u can remove the heat properly as u go faster
stock internals will hold till about 500 hp, the crank is ok till maube 460
still, amazing machines,
www.twinturbo.net is THE authority on these cars, some guys starting up a video documentary or jus writing steps along w/ a swap hes doing too...
also nguyen at autodream would b the man to ask, a nissan genius....
edit: - off the line, they haul some sweet ass, awesome starter car as well, stock weight is about 3400, lose the A/C n ur maybe 3250, close to a prelude whic is 3100 i htnk, also, if u do the swap into an NA, u dont hafta worry bout HICAS (4wheel steering), coz only TTs until 93 had em, jus pumping all that extra fluid to an extra steering p[ump, who needs it...well, useless IMO...and please, dont put a MX6GT in the same thing w/ TT Zs, im sure somehwere out there there is a MX6 GT running 10s, but, for the most part, jus, no, its like comparing the ok looking substitute teacher u once had to britney spears...reliability i know nothing bout for the mazda, but stock vs stock, r u joking? the mazda is cheaper, thas bout it...

Spooned
01-06-2004, 10:26 AM
rofl. :banghead: mx6 gt vs 300zx tt. lol sorry.
i guess i really am a nublet.

anyways. The main thing holding me back at this point is that im a student
and dont exactly have 25k to throw around. The Z's on importconcern all
have pretty fair prices for a TT. Most of them have
more then 120k kms on them but for a first car i dont see too much
of a problem with that. I've been following that thread about
Importconcern's reliability and what not, but havent learned too much.
Has anyone actually ordered a car from them?

price wise, how would all this work out? say i pay about 8k for
the ride, 8500 with tax... from what i understand,
the prices on Importconcern INCLUDE shipping to alberta right?
how much is it to register plates and how much do you think insurance will
come too on it for a 20 yr old on Statefarm with a clean record +
good student discount (:tongue: )?

im hoping less the 4k if its listed as an occasional driver ( under my parents still )

Bubba-G-
01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
They are really reliable. When maintained properly, mine runs great and you can certainly get a nice Z for less than 25g.
On a sidenote nothing against the cars from import concern but the Z's from japan come with smaller turbos than a north american model, and therefore make less power.
Mine is for sale but not listed right now, I'm the second owner and bought it from the original owner.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=383683#post383683

Bubba-g-

rage2
01-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Spooned
I was taking a look on that ImportConcern site. I wouldnt mind having a right hander.

Originally posted by Spooned
also whats the latest year 300zx TT you can get here and whats the price tag with them?
You can only import 1989 models this year from Japan.

redbaron303
01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Where did you hear this about JDM spec TT's having smaller turbo's than north American ones...

I'm going to ask some friends in the EZCC about this, it doesn't seem right to me...?!

But either way, the 300ZX is and excellent car... fairlady history, and theres plenty of it.

Maxt
01-06-2004, 11:19 PM
I really like the 300z, I think its one of those cars whose styling is just so classic for the time period, its a very clean body line...
They are a heavy car, but have a great powerplant, can take a massive rear wheel, but for the life of me, I don't know why they never really caught on in Japan, they almost shunned like mold over there, its a bizarre thing, I will never forget while riding a train through rural Japan, and passing a autowrecker, that had rows upon rows upon rows of 300zx's stacked on top of each other by forklift, it was pretty saddenning...
But if you can score one for a decent amount, definatly a nice car, but driving a RHD car sucks here, a left hand turn say at somewhere like Barlow and 50th would be quite the game of russian roulette..
If the price is right, go for it.....Maxt

sandman
01-06-2004, 11:30 PM
id say jus buy a non tubro w/ high kms, do the swap
for about 15 ull hav a mint mint Z, if u go this route i STRONGLY recommend nguyen at autodream

Spooned
01-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by sandman
id say jus buy a non tubro w/ high kms, do the swap
for about 15 ull hav a mint mint Z, if u go this route i STRONGLY recommend nguyen at autodream

now that i think about it. it'd be really hard to change driving habits to suit a rhd car. so i think your idea will suit me best sandman. Just gonna have to save up the funds and start looking around for one when i have enough for a down payment.

thanks alot guys.

:burnout:

sandman
01-07-2004, 03:05 AM
no worries
good luck man (thumbsup)
my advice is also throw out ur A/C
no worries bout HICAS :D
and also throw in any uphrades then too, a lot easier