PDA

View Full Version : Skates... that don't kill?

r3ccOs
12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I know I probably don't need to start up a new thread on this, but I'm not sure what to do...

Outside of very wide footwear which I use orthodics for, my feet hurt in virtually anything outside of a shoe

I think this comes from years skiing, in the days where a proper footbed was not common and genetics.

Ski boots are painful to the point where I need to use advil to continue the day

Skates, even worse...

I have like d-e wide feet with next to no arch thanks to being flattend from years of big air & mogul training.

Anyone anyone recommends to see to find a pair that might work or has a way to provide some orthopedic support?

Call me forsberg

MrSector9
12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
best bet would be go to a couple hockey specialty stores and spend the money on a good pair of skates that will work for you.

I have the exact same problem actually.

jaysas_63
12-11-2010, 11:06 AM
couldn't you have a custom made pair with your orthotics built in??

trieuth
12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I have the same problem, I played hockey since I was 8, and have always had trouble with skates fitting and feet hurting. Was until I put on a pair of GRAF's, unreal. The 7-- series are a great leather boot as they aren't as stiff as all the new composite boots bauer/ccm/easton etc make. And with graf, they can mould insoles to fit your feet. They have an amazing system to custom make insoles that suit you perfectly.

I bought my pair at professional skate in marda loop, I'd buy from them again if I were to get another pair.

trieuth
12-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Oh ya, and when you're trying skates on, keep them on for a good 20 mins or even longer if you can and walk around. Make sure they fit well. www.modsquadhockey.com has some amazing info on hockey gear and the different fittings of skates if you want to check it out as well.

And the best break in method? put skate guards on that don't easily come off and then wear them while you're watching tv, and when you sleep.

95EagleAWD
12-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Get them custom fit at a specialty store.

Also, skates need to break in. I had to tough mine out for two weeks of skating 4 nights a week before they were comfy.

r3ccOs
12-23-2010, 03:44 PM
I bought a pair of Nike/Bauer Vapor 9s which were the widest 9D boot I could find without causing too much space where my arches are...

My arches are like a D, but my heel area, the lump on the inside foot is FAT, like an E

I did the heat molding trick in the store, wore them around for 20 minutes and thought, yes they work...

until I went onto the ice where the pressure really builds up.

My toes and upper part of my foot is fine, but the far part of my arches JUST kill...

I've even tried superfeet & my own ticket orthodics to no prevail.

That being said, the more I use them the more my feet seem to get over the pain, UNTIL I remove them, and I can barely walk for the rest of the night :(

At least I'm back skating, which is a ton of fun again... seeing how I basically last skated as a Bantam 14 years ago.

even playing some shinny.. only problem is when I hit a rough patch (rutt) that I'm not expecting, I'm often on my ass :)

managed to get the hockey stops down pat, crossovers and quik turns, but I can't backwards skate as proficciently as I like...
every time I even try to cross over backwards I pretty much end up on my butt

oh well, I'll keep on keeping on

88CRX
12-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Go to an actualy hockey store (ie: pro skate) and have them fit skates properly. Proper fitting skates after a couple times on the ice are money, won't even feel them then.

DO NOT go to sport check to get 'fitted'.

trieuth
12-23-2010, 03:50 PM
If you did some research, the vapours are some of the narrowest skates you can get. especially in a D. If you like bauers, the supreme line is the wider fitting boots.

l/l/rX
12-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Grafs are awesome skates!!! I've had some bauers nikes and this other pair, but nothing compared to my grafs, lightweight and super comfy compared to everything else.

I had problems with comfort around my ankles and soles with previous pair of skates. My grafs not a single thing. I molded each skate the same way, stick a blow dryer in the skate for a couple mind, put them on and lace them up and just walk around the house for a day with them on.

r3ccOs
12-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
If you did some research, the vapours are some of the narrowest skates you can get. especially in a D. If you like bauers, the supreme line is the wider fitting boots.

sorry, they are older (NOS) skates Nike non-bauer quest V9s

Chandler_Racing
12-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I bought my last pair from Professional Skate.

They will punch out Graf's and heat/mould them to your foot size using an oven.

Worth giving them a try.

theken
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Ccm ovie 5s I just bought. They are wide and can be moulded. They are comfy and a decent price

-STi-
12-23-2010, 05:06 PM
If price isn't a option then go with Graf's. They Custom mold right
to your foot. I have personally never used Grafs myself, but I have heard they are amazing skates.

I am a Bauer kind of guy. Used since day one and I have been on skates since I was 4 or 5.

I just recently purchased the new total ones. I love them. I have flat feet.
Flat to the point where I take a step and my foot gets wider.
It's all up to the guy that is wearing them, but I would recommend trying on the Bauer Total Ones

MrSector9
12-23-2010, 09:58 PM
yeah Graf's are definatly one of the best skates on the market, since money was an object for me I went and tried on 10-15 different skates.

Ended up buying Reebok 6K's, heat molded, wore 2 nights and now they feel great. I got E width, they were a little tight on the sides at first but I knew that would "break in" and fit nice.

They were on sale too.

r3ccOs
12-23-2010, 10:49 PM
got the sides punch out and it works great now

feet still get sore, but I think its a normal sore and the muscles in my feet gotta get used to skating

r3ccOs
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

feet still get sore, but I think its a normal sore and the muscles in my feet gotta get used to skating

yup back in the groove... fun playing shinny again, except against the kids who play Junior A :P

Anyone give any tips on how to do backwards crossovers effeciently?

stevieo
12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

where did you get them punched out? i may have my skates a bit too tight around my arch area. i've been wearing my new skates for about 10 hours so far and they still hurt

r3ccOs
01-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

where did you get them punched out? i may have my skates a bit too tight around my arch area. i've been wearing my new skates for about 10 hours so far and they still hurt

hockey pro life on 130th

Porsche_55
01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trieuth
[B]I have the same problem, I played hockey since I was 8, and have always had trouble with skates fitting and feet hurting. Was until I put on a pair of GRAF's, unreal. The 7-- series are a great leather boot as they aren't as stiff as all the new composite boots bauer/ccm/easton etc make. And with graf, they can mould insoles to fit your feet. They have an amazing system to custom make insoles that suit you perfectly.

GRAFs are the way to go for sure. Little more expensive but so worth it.