PDA

View Full Version : cheap gym in the core that has monthly membership???

jaysas_63
12-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey guys,

some help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to be back in town for 2 weeks for xmas break, and i need to find some place to workout that has some decent weights. (looking for at least 120lb dumbells)

I usually work out at WHC on McLeod trail, but recently there rates have changed, and it would cost me a ridiculous amount to just join for a month!

do you guys know any places (close to downtown with parking) that have reasonable month to month or even weekly rates without a big first time sign up fee??

thanks a LOT for your help!

G-ZUS
12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
What about the City of Calgary fitness Centers?

jaysas_63
12-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
What about the City of Calgary fitness Centers?

Thx for the suggestion! to be honest ive only been to the southland leisure center (for the wave pool when i was young :rofl: )

have you seen the inside of their weight lifting facilities (do they have relatively heavy dumbbells?)

also any idea if there's a location close to mount royal/downtown area??

G-ZUS
12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

Thx for the suggestion! to be honest ive only been to the southland leisure center (for the wave pool when i was young :rofl: )

have you seen the inside of their weight lifting facilities (do they have relatively heavy dumbbells?)

I dont remember what they have, there is one in Renfrew, Beltline and Killarney

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Recreation/Locate+by+Facility/Aquatics+and+Fitness+Centres/SW+Centres/SW+Centres.htm

USED1
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I would suggest Talisman Centre. It has been a while since I've worked out there so I can't remember if the dumbbells are >100lbs.

jaysas_63
12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by USED1
I would suggest Talisman Centre. It has been a while since I've worked out there so I can't remember if the dumbbells are >100lbs.

thats actually where i use to go before WHC, but AFAIK the weight lifting area is still under construction, and all they have is a small area 1/6th the size open for training (with limited equipment).

KRyn
12-11-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=84552762812#!/group.php?gid=84552762812&v=info

jaysas_63
12-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=84552762812#!/group.php?gid=84552762812&v=info

looks like my best bet so far, just gave em a shout, and its only 55/mo no sign up fees! only prob is they're only open until 10 pm weekdays, and 5ish weekends, and most of my wrkouts are around 11pm-1am

C_Dave45
12-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

Thier dumbbells only go up to 120. (ONLY :rolleyes: ) And of course aren't open at midnight. Other than that, check it out for yourself:

SLC virtual tour (http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Recreation/Locate+by+Facility/Leisure+Centres/Southland+Leisure+Centre/Southland+Virtual+Tour.htm)

dirtsniffer
12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
hey probodies in mardaloop (33 ave and 20 st sw) is open till 11:30 weekdays and 9 on weekends.
its 75 for 1 month and i think 40 for 2 weeks.
its pretty close to the core with lots of parking
and they have dumbbells up to 170 (a couple sizes missing though)

andyg16
12-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Not to highjack this thread but I'm also in the same situation, I will be back in Calgary for xmas break for about 3-4 weeks and need a place to workout with decent monthly rates and no joining fee etc. I live in the deep south in Cranston anyone know of any gyms in the area?

Mitsu3000gt
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Anytime Fitness on 11th ave and 1st st is where I go - same block as Hotel Arts.

Free heated underground parking at the Hotel Arts is included. $55/mo + tax, and it's open 24 hours. Its not a huge gym, but it's a good size. The place is absolutely dead later on at night, and from Friday-Sunday. Busiest times are mornings and right after work.

I always work out from about 7:30-10pm so I have the entire gym to myself sometimes as it gets a bit later. All equipment is brand new, and every cardio machine has its own TV you can watch with sound, or you can watch movies on the TV off your iPod.

They waived my sign up fee, but I signed up for a year - not sure how it would differ for shorter terms, but I suspect you could negotiate something.

Hello123
12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
At anytime fitness, how long are you allowed to park for free underground?