PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Garage

leftwing
12-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I am looking into building a double detached garage for my house. My backyard is about 32ft wide by about 32ft deep/long.

In your opinion is a garage more valuable to a house then a backyard? Would building a garage decrease value in general?

I know that house buyers will have different needs and there isnt a right or wrong answer to this, but I am just asking in general to get some opinions.

Would you sacrifice your backyard for a garage?

eblend
12-11-2010, 05:47 PM
From what my realtor (barmanjay) told me, it usually adds about 20k in value, and when I was looking at places all that had garages were about 20k more expensive.

Tik-Tok
12-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by eblend
From what my realtor (barmanjay) told me, it usually adds about 20k in value, and when I was looking at places all that had garages were about 20k more expensive.

But a garage will cost you a lot more than that (a good one anyways).

When I browse the market, I always look for a good balance. Right now we're in an awesome House/Yard/Garage size combo, so after 7 years, I still haven't found anything more appealing (that isn't WAY out of my price range).

If I were limited to ONLY good yard OR garage, I'd pick garage.

leftwing
12-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Yeah I've heard garages add about 10-15k in value BUT how much does not having a backyard decrease the property value.

03ozwhip
12-11-2010, 06:04 PM
^^werd. id pick garage too. i have in the past but my new house is the best of both, 22x24 garage with about a 40x60 ft back yard. with the size of my house and those 2, its hard to find any kind of comparable houses anywhere else for the $$ right now. build your garage, youll be happier IMO/

leftwing
12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

But a garage will cost you a lot more than that (a good one anyways).

When I browse the market, I always look for a good balance. Right now we're in an awesome House/Yard/Garage size combo, so after 7 years, I still haven't found anything more appealing (that isn't WAY out of my price range).

If I were limited to ONLY good yard OR garage, I'd pick garage.

Thanks for your opinion. Yeah we go screwed on our side of the alley. The houses across the alley all have massive detached garages and their yards (not including garage) are still bigger than ours. But im sure they payed alot more for thier houses as well.

rookie101
12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
For me garage, no question, but it is just an opinion. In my current place I went with a 31' by 24' attached garage and wish I had gone a bit bigger....... Oh well next time.

As far as pricing on garages, this spring I helped my brother in-law build a 26' by 24' detached and he came in right around twenty thousand all in including concrete, but that is with us doing the build ourselves. It's really pretty simple, it took the two of us and his sixty five year old father two weekends to get it completely framed and shingled.

Maxt
12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Garage, and as big as you can build it... My first house was a 1930's added on to oil field shack, the oversized garage I built sold that property. Everyone that came to see it, asked to see the garage first before the house.

project240
12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
For myself, I'd pick a garage, but for my family I'd pick a large backyard.

I'm fortunate to have a huge back yard and 24x26 garage... ideally I'd like something about twice the size though.

eblend
12-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Build a 22x22 this summer and it cost me about 15k, fully insulated and drywalled. I spend 5k on the concrete, 5k on the garage package and then another 3-5k on the other misc stuff like lighting, heating, cabeling, drywall, insulation ect) just to give you an idea on the cost

barmanjay
12-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
I am looking into building a double detached garage for my house. My backyard is about 32ft wide by about 32ft deep/long.

In your opinion is a garage more valuable to a house then a backyard? Would building a garage decrease value in general?

I know that house buyers will have different needs and there isnt a right or wrong answer to this, but I am just asking in general to get some opinions.

Would you sacrifice your backyard for a garage?

Value wise aside:

Having a 20x20 garage with a little bit of a yard (good balance) would make your house more saleable than the house next door with no garage and big yard.

You can't cater to everyone, as everyones tastes/wants/needs are different.

Double garages are more desireable than singles and etc, etc,... but just having a garage vs. not is more saleable to the masses.

Even if you put an oversized single (15x20), that would leave you a good size yard

Costs can be argued up and down, left, right and upside down; but what I'm talking about right now is saleability.

side note: value wise,.. all depends of house, area and age.
On average what I've seen in the past is approx 15-20k difference between houses with and without garages.

sillysod
12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

Value wise aside:

Having a 20x20 garage with a little bit of a yard (good balance) would make your house more saleable than the house next door with no garage and big yard.

THIS...

If you are building it for yourself and plan on staying there for a while go crazy with the garage.

I built as large a garage as I could get a permit for -- but that was for me. I won't get much more $$$ then my neighbour with a small double across the alley when it comes time to sell.

If you plan on staying for a couple years and moving go 20 x 22, 90% of people just want a basic garage that will keep them from having to scrape windows in the winter.