PDA

View Full Version : A few "Air ride" questions for an S10

Graham_A_M
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, looking at putting air ride for a 1st gen S10. No this isn't going to be some retarded Low-rider attempt. It would just be nice to adjust the ride height on the fly to make loading (etc) easier.

So can you adjust the firmness of the system? If I wanted soft or comfortable driving, can I back off some pressure?
or how does that work? Just curious as I'd love to be able to set it to very firm/sport mode when needed too.

Also, what would be a good kit? how much is everything? and how is the set up generally? thanks a ton for reading this and offering any insight you can!

03ozwhip
12-11-2010, 09:26 PM
alright, the higher it is the firmer the ride. when its full up to for example 100 psi per bag youre gonna break your back but if you have it (for example) at 50 psi it will usually feel more stock and when the bags are completely compressed 0 psi then its gonna also break your back.

so in short yes you can adjust the firmness of the bags by knowing what psi feels best for you. you can have an air controller by air ride to tell you what your bags are sitting at, or just buy pressure gauges and mount them in the cabin.

if you want to be able to get in, press a button and have it at your perfect height, air ride is the way to go in which case be prepared to spend some real $$.

to do it manually just use pressure gauges and adjust it evertime you get in, kind of a bitch but cheaper. i used slam specialty bags, viair compressors and asco valves, all really solid stuff for a decent cost.

i *believe* you can get a kit like this with a switch box for about 1200-1500. check out airassisted.ca, theyve changed since i last did anything but theyre local (canadian)and theyre awesome to deal with.

if you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask.

90_Shelby
12-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I have a complete used airide system that was in a 1970 Challenger for sale if you want to do a custom install.....
PM me if you're interested.

Cooked Rice
12-12-2010, 05:43 AM
firmness is pressure dependent, but so is the height. so low and soft, or high and stiff. you could probably get helper bags for an s10 though. you keep the leaf springs, and the helper bags can be filled to prevent rear end sag when carrying a heavy load or towing. that way you retain stock ride quality.

Prelude_dude
12-12-2010, 06:14 AM
don't mean to high jack, but how does air ride hold up in our stupidly cold weather here?

03ozwhip
12-12-2010, 09:32 AM
air ride isnt very good in the winter because of condensation in the lines and it gets into the tank. which can also lead into the bags, freezing and expanding eveything and blowing it all out.

i suppose IF you "bleed" all the lines and the tank often like once a week or more then it will be ok but that can become a pain in the ass depending on your setup and how easy you make it to get to the lines and drain on the tank.

90_Shelby
12-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
air ride isnt very good in the winter because of condensation in the lines and it gets into the tank. which can also lead into the bags, freezing and expanding eveything and blowing it all out.

i suppose IF you "bleed" all the lines and the tank often like once a week or more then it will be ok but that can become a pain in the ass depending on your setup and how easy you make it to get to the lines and drain on the tank.

Every big rig on the road utilizes an "air ride" suspension...... Even in the winter.

TurboMedic
12-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I have Monroe air adjusts on my Colorado, and they're a pain in the ass. I used them for leveling when I have my trailer and when I load my bike but otherwise they are pointless. I would go air bags if I did it again, adjustable shocks are hard on the shock mounts, and the boots are always leaky on them so they require constant adjusting....

03ozwhip
12-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Every big rig on the road utilizes an "air ride" suspension...... Even in the winter.

doesnt mean you want to use your own for a winter daily driver. have you done it? i have and its no fun. ask anyone who uses air suspension(and i know alot of people with it) if they drive their vehicle in the winter and when they say no, ask them why theyll tell you the same thing i just said.

Graham_A_M
12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
^ Buying anything Monroe was your first mistake.
But thanks for the additional heads up. :)
Yeah I wont touch anything by Monroe with a 30ft pole even.

For the moisture & winter; there are alcohol injectors, purges and air filters for keeping the moisture out. I have my air brakes so I learned a lot about keeping those various systems moisture free.

and 90_Shelby, if you could PM me the price and let me know what it all comes with, thanks bud!

ghostS10RT
12-12-2010, 11:21 AM
The largest issue with air ride in winter is moisture. I built a "few" air systems for welding truck in Fort Mc.
Moisture collects in the lowest and slowest place's in the system. There are a few things that will help reduce the water in the system:
1: use a water trap right after the compressor
2: run a air system anti freeze.

The other big issue is the check valve on most compressors. Moisture collects around the valve and either wont allow it to open or it wont close all the way. Most times the pressure and heat being built will un-stick the valve. If the valve gets stuck open, the air in the system will bleed back through the head of the compressor. Both are frustrating at -20.

Judging by your post, it sounds like you are just wanting to add a "helper kit" with a small compressor?

s10 helper bags (http://shop.airliftcompany.com/product/287389/59529/_/Ride_Control%3B_Ride_Control_Kit)

compressor and valves (http://shop.airliftcompany.com/product/287389/25655/_/Load_Controller_I%3B_On-Board_Air_Compressor_Control_System)

Hope this helps