PDA

View Full Version : Markham

Kobe
12-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Not really mad, but is he getting free advertising for calgarybeacon? All he posts is links from his site, there is no way he doesnt work for that paper and it just trying to get exposure...

Melinda
12-12-2010, 09:32 AM
He has an agreement with admin that he is allowed to post articles provided they are all car related.

Modelexis
12-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
He has an agreement with admin that he is allowed to post articles provided they are all car related.

In that case, wouldn't this be a clear violation of the terms?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/322982/city-grader-strikes-female-pedestrian-sends-her-to-hospital-with-serious-injuries/

xxviet
12-12-2010, 03:18 PM
i guess it wasnt violating the terms, she was taken away to the hospital in an "EMS" vehicle of course :rofl:

Super_Geo
12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah his shit is annoying as fuck.

SScott
12-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm more annoyed about his commentary. It's very vague.

I normally just read the summary by modelexis as to not open his links

:D

Tomaz
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM
God forbid you NEED to click on the link. My god, what has the world come to. :drama:

turbotrip
12-12-2010, 06:06 PM
i too hate those stupid articles hes always posting

Type_S1
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Lex350
12-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Yeah his shit is annoying as fuck.

:werd: :werd:

Type_S1
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I vote for a ban! His stuff is obviously promoting his own stuff so he can further himself in his "journalism" career or for personal gains for calgary beacon.

Kloubek
12-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Well if he has permission then there is no reason for an actual ban.

I just back out of any thread he starts now. A bit of a waste of time, but nothing that is gonna kill me.

BokCh0y
12-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Meh. If you don't like it then don't click on it. I read the occassional article but that's about it. I'm fine either way whether he gets booted or stays.

TorqueDog
12-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I appreciate members that contribute to the discussion in some way or another. Even if it is a completely idiotic sentiment that gets that person set aflame like a witch in Denmark in the 1500s, they're at least making some sort of attempt.

Posting "Hey guys," then "Link to article" then buggering off until the next thread doesn't really qualify to me as 'contributing'.

Godfuader
12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Posting "Hey guys," then "Link to article" then buggering off until the next thread doesn't really qualify to me as 'contributing'.
Same as trev00000006. If the intention is to share the news/vid why not just embed it. Clearly the purpose is to generate "click-revenue" for their website versus genuine contribution to this forum. Mods obviously know this ploy, so there must be reason why its allowed. Maybe beyond should ask for a cut.

dirtsniffer
12-12-2010, 09:44 PM
hey trev006 atleast contributes useful videos. markhams articles are generally like 5 sentences with no pictures. I have tried to avoid his threads for quite some time

Godfuader
12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
hey trev006 atleast contributes useful videos. markhams articles are generally like 5 sentences with no pictures. I have tried to avoid his threads for quite some time
trev is a hit n' miss. Some of his vids are awesome, but quite a few are the shaky, night-time, camcorder "races". If its a clear vid, I usually embed it.

dirtsniffer
12-12-2010, 10:17 PM
^^ haha true, and those ones from europe that are like 10 minutes long with 30seconds of racing

Scat E46
12-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Same as trev00000006. If the intention is to share the news/vid why not just embed it. Clearly the purpose is to generate "click-revenue" for their website versus genuine contribution to this forum. Mods obviously know this ploy, so there must be reason why its allowed. Maybe beyond should ask for a cut.

And they're only youtube videos too. Annoying.

Disoblige
12-13-2010, 12:52 AM
You ever read some of the news articles on The Beacon?..

It looks like I'm in grade 8 and I'm trying to reword my sentences so the teacher won't find out I'm plagiarizing from an online website or something..

:thumbsdow

sabad66
12-13-2010, 01:33 AM
LOL, you guys get mad too easy. what's the big deal? Yeah the articles aren't that good, but I figure I would not have seen some of the news he reports on anyways. If you hate him so bad, why don't you just put him on ignore and avoid clicking any threads made by him?

texasnick
12-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't think anyone's mad about it....just annoyed.

It's pretty obvious when you link to an article (the same news source every time) and then don't quote anything from it in your post, that you're just trying to get traffic.

It's a pretty blatant and tacky attempt at spamming while trying to create the illusion that he isn't spamming.

rage2
12-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't mind it too much. I read beyond more often than citybeat, so it's nice to see whats going on around the city, however minor the news items may be. Most of those articles doesn't make it into our normal news channels.

Redlyne_mr2
12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
He keeps us up to date with Race City news.

kaput
12-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't mind it too much. I read beyond more often than citybeat, so it's nice to see whats going on around the city, however minor the news items may be. Most of those articles doesn't make it into our normal news channels.

I don't read his articles but I like that they are posted for this same reason. It makes beyond the only site I need for local news headlines throughout the day.

M.alex
12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
How about a compromise - make a subsection in the general forum called 'news'. That way those who want to read his articles can, and those who don't don't have to.

JfuckinC
12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
How about a compromise - make a subsection in the general forum called 'news'. That way those who want to read his articles can, and those who don't don't have to.

usually when i jump on beyond i read whatever i want... who's been making you read stuff? haha

xxviet
12-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

usually when i jump on beyond i read whatever i want... who's been making you read stuff? haha

yeah i was thinking the same thing lol...if you dont like his articles, his news, then dont click the damn link, read, and complain

KandabashiDevil
12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
He's the only one who seems to be posting relevant automotive articles.
Go figure there's a thread bitching about him here :rofl:

Yeah ..... beyond needs more content involving bickering about traffic, throwing around out-dated racial stereotypes, and regurgitating discussions in the "Society" forum on a 3 month cycle :rolleyes:

The forums have lost focus over the last few years. Members like "Markham" are just what this place needs. If what he's doing isn't illegal or against forum rules, then close this thread and don't read his articles if you don't want to.

rage2
12-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Good call. :closed: