PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer idea suggestions?

403Gemini
12-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Hey guys, found out through my work that my entire team can take a day to volunteer somewhere. There is always the obvious Mustard Seed/Drop in center etc, however I was also thinking along the lines of Habitat for Humanity. We're property adjusters so it would be nice to put our knowledge to work doing that.

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions that about 7-10 people could do for a day? I'm just compiling a list.

Thanks!

heinz256
12-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Me and a couple friends are volunteering at the Salvation Army organizing toys I believe.

AndyL
12-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Samaritans purse is always a good one.

Some of the kids charities are a bit tough at this time of year because of the need for security clearances...

drtoohotty1
12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
humane society:dunno:

spikerS
12-13-2010, 08:23 AM
i like to champion the food bank.

The people down there are awesome, and the work is truly rewarding, as you are helping to provide the necessities of life. These can be nothing better.

I used to work for the food bank, and I can guarantee you they need the help desperately this time of year. There is such an influx of donations around Christmas that they quickly get overwhelmed and food losses (spoilage) get high because they don't have enough man power to sort it.

My wife and I go and volunteer often around holidays just for this reason.

But at the end of the day there are a lot of great and reputable charities out there and in desperate need this time of year, and which ever you choose, I am sure you will find it quite rewarding.

ExtraSlow
12-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Food bank and Vetrans food bank (through the legion) are excellent.
I did a day of work for Habitat for Humanity and honestly, I'll never work for them again. It was incredibly frustrating. Probably got less done in an six hour shift with several other volunteers than I could have done alone in twenty minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I belive in the cause, but next time, they'll get my money, not my time.

My favourte volunteer work is for the Folk Festival, because of the excellent benefits. But that's seasonal.

kaput
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM

sxtasy
12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I have been thinking about volunteering for habitat for humanity, what did you guys find so frustrating about it?

ExtraSlow
12-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Maybe I hit H4H on a bad day, but it was the most disorganised gong show I've ever seen. The crew leaderws didn't even seem to know their way around the site, didn't have any goals in mind at the start of the shift.
Got there are 8:00 AM, did't get assigned to a crew until probably 9:30, took about two hours to get tools and get set up at the work location. By Lunchtime, I hadn't lifted a finger. We did make some progress in the afternoon, but I had some real idiots on my team, and they constantly wanted to question decisions, and generally seemed more interested in arguing then doing any work.

Like I said, I really believe in the values of the Habitat for Humanity charity, but in fututre, I'll just scratch a cheque.

Myrrinda
12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Hull Family Services is a good one. I did a work volunteer thing there before, and had a good time.
Humane Society is good for people that like animals. I think that usually involves cleaning the cages and playing with the animals.
Food Bank is good too, and usually involves putting together food hampers, etc. I think they usually request that people can lift heavy boxes, but I think most adults shouldn't have any problems.

Masked Bandit
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Children's Hospital maybe?

Kloubek
12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
The Forzani Group marketing department volunteer at H4H twice before, and never had an issue? :dunno:

However, I will say this: Besides working beside a couple of people who were helping to build their own home, there was not a lot of gratification in doing this volunteer work. I mean, I like to SEE the difference I'm making.

But that's just me...

Graham_A_M
12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
If its just for a day, and one day only, you can volunteer at the Food bank. I've done that a few times, its easy for everybody to learn a task, and there is tons of room for 1-20+++ people. Perhaps call ahead so they can find work for everybody for that day, rather then just "show up"

copynpaste
12-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Children's Hospital maybe?

Thats where ill be going this year. Anyone care to tag along? probably looking at Xmas eve.

Last year i did mustard seed on xmas eve from 10-1pm. It was a great experience.

Where is the food bank?

Graham_A_M
12-14-2010, 10:40 PM
^ Very close to BlackFoot cycle, basically its just due east (Highfield road is it?) then you go south a bit, for perhaps a block once you finally reach the lighted intersection with that yellow burger bus. Its about two blocks north of Standens. For the actual address, just google it.

boarderfatty
12-15-2010, 12:09 AM
I volunteer walking dogs for the Humane Society and SPCA, which is fun. I do it more to pick up girls though. It makes their panties drop.

I also do the children's hospital both unsanctioned, buying cheap annoying gifts, wrapping and distributing them, and also actually volunteering at the hospital itself.

403Gemini
12-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
If its just for a day, and one day only, you can volunteer at the Food bank. I've done that a few times, its easy for everybody to learn a task, and there is tons of room for 1-20+++ people. Perhaps call ahead so they can find work for everybody for that day, rather then just "show up"

Yeah, I'm not just going to tell my team to take a day off and lets go some place and hope they find us ;) I'm going to email different institutions to see what days are available, what checks they may need to do (I know the humane society interviews all of their volunteers before allowing them on) etc.

Feruk
12-16-2010, 01:04 PM
You could clean my apartment? That will take a team of 7 all afternoon. :)

I know it's been said, but I'm adding a +1 for the Mustard Seed; I usually do that with my team and we've always enjoyed it.

copynpaste
12-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Im set to go in Fri morning for 3hrs to volunteer at teh food bank. Can anyone tell me what kind of duties and turnout im expecting?

Thx

spikerS
12-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste
Im set to go in Fri morning for 3hrs to volunteer at teh food bank. Can anyone tell me what kind of duties and turnout im expecting?

Thx

Well chances are you will be asked to sort bins of food. It will get put onto a converyor belt, and you will grab a certain type of food item, place it into a plastic container. Rinse and repeat.

Depending on how many people are there that day really is what will depict what you do. If there are only 2 or 3, they won't have you sorting food. You might be helping on the docks, or helping to move the skids around. This time of year is crazy for donations, and the warehouse space becomes extremely valuable.

ExtraSlow
12-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Just a note: The Calgary Food bank was again chosen this year as one of the most effective charities in Canada.
Charity Intelligence - Calgary Food bank (http://www.charityintelligence.ca/?charity=33)