PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Mazdaspeed6 Owners

funkytuqe
12-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey Guys, i need some help. I just recently went in to the dealer with some smoking turbo problems. They identified the issue as per released TSB and sent off for warranty repair authorization (TSB states repair is covered under power train). They got back to me today and said that the repair is NOT covered under POWER TRAIN warranty (my comprehensive is expired). I think this sounds very fishy, how can a Turbo NOT be part of the power train?

Anyways, strangely, my warranty booklet is missing from my car, i always kept it with the manual so i have no idea where it could have gone. Does anyone with an 2006 MS6 still have their warranty book? If so can you see if the turbo is mentioned under Power Train Coverage? The Mazda Canada website says the turbo is not covered (only for models 2009 and up). I have some suspicion that this was changed. On the Mazda USA website, Power train Warranty DOES cover the turbo charger (WTF). What i find, funny is how in Canada they warranty the turbo for 2009+cars , 2008-2009 is when Mazda released the better verC KO4 turbo that fixes smoking issues, HMMMMMM.

Can anyone verify this who has an original Canadian 2006 Mazdaspeed6 warranty book? PM-me if you do.

Thanks in advance

PS. Anyone have advice?

Chris Ng
12-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Got rid of my MS6, however I can tell you that when I got mine back in oct 2007, the turbocharger was NOT covered under the powertrain unless you purchased their extended warranty... This is not a new policy..

how bad is the smoking? Have you tried moving up to 5-40 weight oil?

heavyD
12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't miss the days of owning a Mazda that's for sure. It's like there's a internal clock in them that as soon as the warranty expires they start falling apart.

dirtsniffer
12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
pm jongc, i know he has a ms6

funkytuqe
12-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Hmm ok, thanks guys. Yes i have the 5w40 oil, still smokes like a 72 Buick.

Interesting to here that the turbo is not covered under power train, it's frustrating that is is covered in the US but not here. Canadians always get the bend over.:thumbsdow

It's too bad, other than this i have been pretty happy with the car, and other Mazda's i have owned.

I'll PM jongc and see what he says.

Cheers!!

Alak
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
It varies, but typically, the engine is not covered under the powertrain warranty, and has its own seperate warranty, then in the fine print (along with the first definition that the engine isnt classified under the powertrain warranty), you usually find what parts of the engine are accually under warranty. Im totally not kidding here. Read the fine print next time, you'd be quite surprised.

Take for example, when my clutch exploded in my brand new car (mazda in fact) I hadnt even broken it in yet, they said they wouldn't warranty it because its not covered. They ended up warrantying it because I only had the damn thing 3 days (and the cause of the problem was most likely the 50kms of test drives/destruction derby on the car).

OP how long have you had the car, where did you buy it (dealer or private, no need to indicate which dealer)?

funkytuqe
12-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Bought the car brand new @ Kramer Mazda in Aug 2006. Been mostly serviced at kramer but recently changed to stoney Mazda because it's closer to me. The dealer has been quite helpful in trying to deal with Mazda Canada in with warranty dispute, i don't have any hard feelings against the dealer at all. This is between me and Mazda, not the dealer. I have had this issue for about a year (on file) I think it's a long shot but I'll see what happens.

Alak
12-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Best of luck to you! I've won some big warranty battles with Mazda in the past, and lost some big battles too. What it comes down to really, is if they want to stand by their customers and products.

lilmira
12-14-2010, 12:07 AM
There is no turbocharger mentioned in the powertrain section. I can scan it tomorrow if you want.

roll_over
12-14-2010, 12:07 AM
In my honda warranty not all the parts are covered by the same distance or time used. some parts are only covered up to 40,000 km and others are to 100,000 kms. Its all in the fine print

funkytuqe
12-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the confirmation Lilmira, not quite what i wanted to here but at least i know Mazda is telling me the truth. If you have a chance, can you scan and send it to me?

My only other option now is to try the emissions rout, this car will fail a sniff test. By federal law, all emissions and RELATED components must be warrantied for 8 years. One could argue that the turbo is part of the exhaust system which is considered an emissions related component.

Cheers!

Originally posted by lilmira
There is no turbocharger mentioned in the powertrain section. I can scan it tomorrow if you want.

tsi_neal
12-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Wont work... Mazda will need you to fail an emissions test first, and because we dont have any emissions testing in AB they will tell you to get lost. Or at least this was my experiance at kramer.

Mazda canada is brutal to deal with, accept it, repair the car and dont buy another mazda untill mazda canada changes their tune.

Originally posted by funkytuqe
Thanks for the confirmation Lilmira, not quite what i wanted to here but at least i know Mazda is telling me the truth. If you have a chance, can you scan and send it to me?

My only other option now is to try the emissions rout, this car will fail a sniff test. By federal law, all emissions and RELATED components must be warrantied for 8 years. One could argue that the turbo is part of the exhaust system which is considered an emissions related component.

Cheers!

funkytuqe
12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, got the feeling that Mazda Canada are useless. when i called the customer service hot-line to get more information about this, the customer service guy was a total Douche and tried to just blow me off.

At least i'm not stuck without a car, this can be fixed buy releasing the pressure in the PCV system through an oil catch can and an aftermarket PCV "Pill", then i can use my COBB AP to up the idle RPM to create a greater vacuum in the PCV system. This works for most people.

You are right, we are not required to have our cars emissions tested in Alberta. By federal law cars still need to be up to standard, there is just no enforcing body in Alberta. I would still like to get an emissions test done and new turbo out of MAZDA since it's the principal of the whole thing that pisses me off. I'll take it as far as i can go, then i'll let off. Does not hurt to try.:banghead:

funkytuqe
12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
I had a chance to think this through and tsi_neal you are right.

Now there are some places that can do an emissions test in calgary if you ask them to. I thought that if i got the test done and failed the federal specifications (so many parts per million) then i could throw that in Mazda's face. The problem is this, we are not required under Alberta regulations to have our cars emissions tested, this means that the shops here in calgary that can do emissions testing are not regulated either. This means that specified/regulated test equipment may not be used by the test shop and even if it was it would not be calibrated to any regulated standard or specification. Again, even if it was calibrated there is no governing body to "certify" that the equipment meats federal regulations. Therefore any emissions test results i acquire in Alberta would be unreliable in Mazda's eyes. These are all questions that mazda would ask me if is showed up with emissions results (they have every right to do so), my failed emissions test would be thrown out and yes i would be told to take a hike. The only way i could make the argument stand is if i drove out to BC for a REGULATED air care test. Even then, i know its a long shot.

So i think i'll spare myself the hassle, headache and emotional roller coaster and deal with this myself. Ive accepted this now and that (unfortunately) is the end of it.

Cheers guys and thanks for your thoughts.

Oh and Mazda? FUCK YOU!!!

heavyD
12-16-2010, 09:18 AM
What exactly does the 'repair' by Mazda include? I assume the seals are leaking oil into the exhaust side so is it a rebuilt turbo or a brand new one? Are the turbochargers those tiny Borg Warner turbochargers like the ones you see on Audi's and VW's? If you have to get a replacement are there not some better aftermarket alternatives?

dj_patm
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I've never had that problem (yet, im over 100K) but I've read multiple stories of it happening on mazda6club and there are a lot of people who got it fixed under warranty with Mazda USA. I'm not to sure about Mazda Canada.

Head over there (if you're not already a member) and ask around. I think there might even be a TSB on the issue which might make your life much easier.

I know Kramer swapped my diff under warranty and fixed a couple other seals as well but they needed approval from Mazda USA cause I bought my car in the states.

I wish you luck! A great car but some issues clearly exist. If you ever see me (Cherry speed 6 with a smashed up front passanger side fender, bumper and hood) try not to laugh at my poor baby :(

funkytuqe
12-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes the repair includes a new turbo with better seal design that won't sweat oil into the exhaust stream under idle conditions.
The seal holds fine under boost since the pressure from the exhaust pushes against the seal and no oil will get by. Under idle conditions, there is little too no pressure on the exhaust side to hold the seal combined with the fact that Mazda has a crappy PCV system that does not evacuate all crank case pressure under idle (or low RPM). When the pressure of the crank case goes above that of the exhaust side of the turbo (like 3 or 4 PSI) you get oil seeping through that main seal and into the exhaust stream. Tiny amounts of oil are burned up by the 2 cat's but as the seepage increases you start to see and smell the burning oil out your exhaust pipes.

Yup, the KO4 very similar if not same as Audi.

Yes aftermarket is the way to go, these KO4's are crap.

Like i said earlier, I'll make improvements to the PCV system with aftermarket solutions and see where that takes me. It works for most people (at least in the short term)

funkytuqe
12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by dj_patm
I've never had that problem (yet, im over 100K) but I've read multiple stories of it happening on mazda6club and there are a lot of people who got it fixed under warranty with Mazda USA. I'm not to sure about Mazda Canada.

Head over there (if you're not already a member) and ask around. I think there might even be a TSB on the issue which might make your life much easier.

I know Kramer swapped my diff under warranty and fixed a couple other seals as well but they needed approval from Mazda USA cause I bought my car in the states.

I wish you luck! A great car but some issues clearly exist. If you ever see me (Cherry speed 6 with a smashed up front passanger side fender, bumper and hood) try not to laugh at my poor baby :(

Yes the TSB exists, the dealer is aware of it ( the lead service tech at Stoney told me he has seen this issue a lot), and that is what i used for my argument. However, there is no turbo under power train in CANADA, only the US (BS i know) so it does not matter to Mazda Canada apparently. I am fully aware of the issue, it's just getting around Mazda Canada thats the problem. In California this is covered under emissions warranty as well, it says so right in the TSB.

funkytuqe
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Can i post PDF's? If so, I can post up the TSB

dj_patm
12-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Fuck man that sucks.

Time to swap in the big one? :D