PDA

View Full Version : Quote on Painting

2.2vtec
12-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Just got my basement drywall put up and prepped to the paint ready stage.

I got a quote for 1750 plus materials to paint 750sq ft of space.

What that includes is 1 coat priming and 2 coats of wall painting. He also said I need 1 coat for the ceiling sprayed but he already sprayed the ceiling a California knock down. Does he need to spray it with paint as well?

Is this a good/decent/or bad deal. He said he is extending his discount on the paint materials as well so materials will end up being 480 for a mid grade paint.

thanks!

ExtraSlow
12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Best way to know if you are getting a good deal is to get two quotes.

project240
12-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Best way to know if you are getting a good deal is to get two quotes.

Every space is different. Without a lot more info or pictures it's hard to say. How tall are the ceilings? What shape is the basement? Lots of rooms or 1 open space?

2.2vtec
12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
half the 750ish sqft are 9 foot ceilings. the other half is 8ft. 1 bedroom, 1 big great room, 1 bath room, 1 walk in closet.

I'm using two different paint colors, 1 for the washroom and 1 for the rest.

garnet
12-14-2010, 11:26 PM
the ceiling should have been well primed first before textured

you'll notice new homes with knockdown have a slightly off-white color, because it is not painted after the texturing is done

but he should have that done before, instead of after

problem with painting over knockdown, is that the paint tends to fill in some of the texture (with its thin profile)

but, if the paper is showing from underneath the texture, then you'll want it sprayed

use 'flat' white, we use a conditioner so dries quickly
even still it will be 'brighter' being painted vs bare texture

edit: example sprayed ceiling brightness
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/jersturbo/Reno%20Pics/012.jpg

so he is quoting you $2230 + gst all in?

should be eggshell for rooms, and semi-g for bath, min. 2 coats, clean cut-in and backrolled

so this quote is just for walls + ceiling sprayed?
and does not include spraying any doors or trim work?

feel free to PM me, we can definitely beat that price

Originally posted by 2.2vtec
Just got my basement drywall put up and prepped to the paint ready stage.

I got a quote for 1750 plus materials to paint 750sq ft of space.

What that includes is 1 coat priming and 2 coats of wall painting. He also said I need 1 coat for the ceiling sprayed but he already sprayed the ceiling a California knock down. Does he need to spray it with paint as well?

Is this a good/decent/or bad deal. He said he is extending his discount on the paint materials as well so materials will end up being 480 for a mid grade paint.

thanks!