PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

CMW403
12-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I've got a 93 Jimmy I bought and insured and registered for the winter, but the Jimmy didn't pass the insurance inspection.

Meloche Monnex told me when I insured it that they needed an inspection faxed to them within 30 days.

Well today those 30 days are up and I was wondering if they call me and inform me that the insurance is invalid or if they just take it off without calling?

Only reason I don't just call them is because I don't want to bring it to their attention that I haven't faxed an inspection.

spikerS
12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
yeah, they told you 30 days, if they don't have it within that time, the insurance is expired.

You get in an accident, they see no inspection paperwork, the policy gets canceled and you are on the hook.

Don't be an idiot, don't drive it until it is insured properly.

spikerS
12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by CMW403
I've got a 93 Jimmy I bought and insured and registered for the winter, but the Jimmy didn't pass the insurance inspection.

Meloche Monnex told me when I insured it that they needed an inspection faxed to them within 30 days.

Well today those 30 days are up and I was wondering if they call me and inform me that the insurance is invalid or if they just take it off without calling?

Only reason I don't just call them is because I don't want to bring it to their attention that I haven't faxed an inspection.

just in case.

ercchry
12-14-2010, 02:41 PM
i use to be with TD/Meloche Monnex and never sent them inspections on new cars on time. they usually will call and ask if you have done it, tell them no i have been busy they say okay get it to us soon.... and thats pretty much the cycle :rofl:

CMW403
12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by spikers

just in case.

:rofl:

in case of what?

Zero102
12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
They usually call and remind you at around 45 days, and if they haven't received it by 60 they will cancel your policy. You do not want them to do this and the reason is simple. You know when you shop around for insurance and every company asks you if you have ever had a policy cancelled on you? This is what they are looking for. If you let them cancel your policy expect them to severely jack up your rates when you are ready to get insurance again, and expect to have a hard time shopping around for insurance when you decide to shop around because they jacked up your rates.

Insurance is one place you don't fuck around.

*EDIT*
And, "In case of what?"
In case you get in an accident, and your insurance company decides that because you didn't send in the inspection your insurance was invalid and you are then held fully liable for all of the financial implications of that.

friedn00dles
12-14-2010, 02:52 PM
they will most likely register off risk via Registered letter to you.

POS vehicles that cannot pass a basic insurance inspection should not be on the road period.

Originally posted by Zero102
They usually call and remind you at around 45 days, and if they haven't received it by 60 they will cancel your policy. You do not want them to do this and the reason is simple. You know when you shop around for insurance and every company asks you if you have ever had a policy cancelled on you? This is what they are looking for. If you let them cancel your policy expect them to severely jack up your rates when you are ready to get insurance again, and expect to have a hard time shopping around for insurance when you decide to shop around because they jacked up your rates.

*EDIT*
And, "In case of what?"
In case you get in an accident, and your insurance company decides that because you didn't send in the inspection your insurance was invalid and you are then held fully liable for all of the financial implications of that.

they cannot jack your rates up for not complying to a VIR request :thumbsdow

When a client end's up not providing me a VIR and the policy does cancel. Either the Insurance company or myself will require a VIR to be done prior to insuring the vehicle again.

I hate following up with deadbeats for final notices & VIR's.

Huge time wasters

CMW403
12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

*EDIT*
And, "In case of what?"

I think you're confused...

He quoted me and said "just in case".

I failed to see how quoting me asking a question about my insurance policy insures anything lol

hellraiser456
12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Agreed. An insurance inspection is a very very basic inspection.

Its general engine condition, general body condition, lights, brakes, suspension.

Why didn't it pass? you COULD try going to a different shop, but the thing is, the mechanic that says that car is safe is on the hook. so if the car is unsafe, the odds are no one will say it is safe, even if you offer a few extra bucks.

So in turn, ethier fix it, or if it isn't worth it. ethier scrap it or if you were clearly mislead by the seller, then you might be able to go after the seller, but odds are that won't work and you will still be stuck with a car that you shouldn't be driving on the road.

In my experience with TD, they are pretty lax about them. but you DO NOT wannaq risk getting into an accident and hurt someone, and then you get fronted with a massive bill for heath/not able to work lawsuits and have your wages garnished for the rest of your life. Cause when people get hurt, the bill adds up far quicker then hitting any car.

Also, i found that TD was raping me for insurance, even after being with them for years. i just saved a lot of money by switching companies. granted the new company considered me as 25 and no accident for 6 years (im 25 in jan, and its been 5 1/2 years since my last accident) so that helped, but td wouldn't do that for me until i was actually 25, which ment i had to pay another full year as being 24. cheap bastards. and my policy expires in september.

CMW403
12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by hellraiser456
Agreed. An insurance inspection is a very very basic inspection.

Its general engine condition, general body condition, lights, brakes, suspension.

Why didn't it pass? you COULD try going to a different shop, but the thing is, the mechanic that says that car is safe is on the hook. so if the car is unsafe, the odds are no one will say it is safe, even if you offer a few extra bucks.

So in turn, ethier fix it, or if it isn't worth it. ethier scrap it or if you were clearly mislead by the seller, then you might be able to go after the seller, but odds are that won't work and you will still be stuck with a car that you shouldn't be driving on the road.

In my experience with TD, they are pretty lax about them. but you DO NOT wannaq risk getting into an accident and hurt someone, and then you get fronted with a massive bill for heath/not able to work lawsuits and have your wages garnished for the rest of your life. Cause when people get hurt, the bill adds up far quicker then hitting any car.

Also, i found that TD was raping me for insurance, even after being with them for years. i just saved a lot of money by switching companies. granted the new company considered me as 25 and no accident for 6 years (im 25 in jan, and its been 5 1/2 years since my last accident) so that helped, but td wouldn't do that for me until i was actually 25, which ment i had to pay another full year as being 24. cheap bastards. and my policy expires in september.

I completely agree with you, but this vehicle has sentimental value. My grandfather fixed all the rust and repainted it about 6 months before he passed away. He wanted someone to drive it, so i bought it off of my grandmother and i'm planning to drive it for a few years.

For the beyond traffic task force aka spikers:

I have a final exam tomorrow. The question was simply to find out if they immediately shut my insurance down at the crack of 12pm on day 29, or if there is some slack on the whole process. Just wanted to make sure I could get to my exam legally, no need to start documenting my posts :rofl:

I have the parts required to fix it and have every intention of fixing it to safe working order asap.

friedn00dles
12-14-2010, 03:36 PM
ask for an extension.

best way to go about it.

bjstare
12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
You will get to your exam legally. If you crash on the way (or on the way home) they will not cover you if its outside the 30 day period they gave you to get the inspection.

Tik-Tok
12-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hellraiser456

W, the mechanic that says that car is safe is on the hook.

Not really. Maybe if the brakes failed 2 days after the inspection, but a month later? A year? Who knows what could happen after the vehicle leaves the shop. I don't think mechanics are on the hook for a general insurance safety inspection.

They also like to tell you stuff that's "wrong", so you'll pay for them to fix it. Case in point, the inspection on my wife's '90 DSM, the mechanic claimed the rubber brake lines were bad. When I got home, I jacked the car up, and looked at them myself, there was NOTHING wrong with the brake lines, and we drove on them for over 4 years without them failing.

Masked Bandit
12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
OP, why don't you just call MM and see what they say? It's pretty rare that a company will actually cancel without a VIR. With that said banks can sometimes be funny to deal with.

bighead2267
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
OP, why don't you just call MM and see what they say? It's pretty rare that a company will actually cancel without a VIR. With that said banks can sometimes be funny to deal with.

hm...............i know 1 company won't extend start from W. they are pretty easy going for most of stuff except VIR.

CMW403
12-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
You will get to your exam legally. If you crash on the way (or on the way home) they will not cover you if its outside the 30 day period they gave you to get the inspection.

Okay I called MM and asked if they could give me an extension. She said no problem and gave me another 2-weeks.

Am I still not actually covered since I don't have the inspection in yet?

510-Trevor
12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

Okay I called MM and asked if they could give me an extension. She said no problem and gave me another 2-weeks.

Am I still not actually covered since I don't have the inspection in yet?
You're okay to drive. Just get the repairs/inspection done in the next 2 weeks.