PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayenne (turbo) owners?

Maxt
12-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Anyone here with long term experience with the cayenne? Common problems, real world fuel economy, maintenance costs?
The used prices on these machines is not to bad, and the turbo model is 500 something horsepower.
I like the interior of the cayenne, but lots of people say the toureg diesel is a better utility vehicle, the third choice is an Srt8 Jeep.

dannie
12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
We have a 2009 Turbo S, so I can't help you with long term experience.... But....

Fuel economy is terrible no matter how careful you are with it. A full tank of gas is about $85 and we get around 400km in the city. If that.

Maintenance costs has been none because it's under warranty. However, we did have issues with the compass in the SUV. The dealership couldn't figure out why and ended up having to replace the entire PCM system. If we had to replace that out of pocket, it would have been around 5k.

It goes thru oil more than I thought it would, but apparently that is normal according to the dealer.

Other than that, we haven't had any issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Nothing we drove compares to it. Or even comes close to it.

962 kid
12-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Anyone here with long term experience with the cayenne? Common problems, real world fuel economy, maintenance costs?
The used prices on these machines is not to bad, and the turbo model is 500 something horsepower.
I like the interior of the cayenne, but lots of people say the toureg diesel is a better utility vehicle, the third choice is an Srt8 Jeep.

What year are you looking at? They are quite expensive to maintain and have a pretty big list of common issues. If you're buying one because it's a good deal, I would pass. If you're buying one because you love how they drive and you're prepared to pay a hefty premium in the long run then go for it.

KandabashiDevil
12-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah ... I was looking too because you can buy 04-05's for $22-25k. It seems like an awesome deal until you realize the level of commitment required.
They need an incredible amount of service. Coilpacks need to be done every ~60-70k and it's almost $2k. Oil changes are demanding and expensive. Suspension failures are common under extraneous Canadian weather, and (not surprisingly) extremely pricey. Nothing is cheap on these trucks!

I find the BMW X5 superior in every way, but I'd love to hear other opinions. I just did a coolant flush and oil change on an X5 sitting on the ground in an hour for $180 in materials. Would love to hear a Cayenne owner post their DIY coolant and oil with time and $$ involved.
Just started looking into the topic...

CalgaryB5
12-15-2010, 02:42 AM
I can’t give you any personal experience. I drive German truck myself( G wagon G500 ) and a co-worker used to own a Cayenne Turbo. A lot of people complain about maintenance cost but the reality is in general people misunderstood on these German cars. Keep up the maintenance and it will last you a long time.

I think the engine is nice and in the winter time the brakes make a little bit of noise when stopping, that’s about it. Given the vehicles list on your sig, I don’t think it make the Cayenne Turbo any more expensive to keep up. Good luck on your search.

nismodrifter
12-15-2010, 02:56 AM
Neighbor had one and it was a nightmare. Every day some new electrical issue would come up. Lights would flash randomly and shit. Ended up getting rid of it quite quickly.

Maxt
12-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I've been looking at the 2008-2009's.. If you look long enough you can find the turbo's with 40,000 miles on them in the 45-55k US range. It seems the price drops a large amount in the US once vehicles cross the 30,000 mile mark.
Some have gone really cheap on Ebay in the last few months, missed a 2008 turbo that went for 41k.
The fuel mileage is a little disappointing on them, but its not a primary vehicle for me either.. Driving a boosted rotary has kind of numbed me to fuel consumption..
The talk of expensive maintenance is what is holding me back on them. Even a Doctor I know gave his up because of costs, but the thought of having 500hp and being able to strap the kids in the back easily is pretty alluring.

T-Dubbs
12-15-2010, 10:36 AM
we had an older cayenne S(05)
it had constant issues...
water pump, power steering, tq converter
and it had 80,000kms
we were happy to get rid of it

Redlyne_mr2
12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
It's one of those vehicles that if you have to ask about the cost of maintenance you shouldn't buy it. $5000 -$10000 /year in repairs isn't unheard of. Awesome trucks though.

jay838
12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Lucky i didnt pick up one a couples mth ago...A 04 S went for 20k

spiceboy
12-15-2010, 11:22 AM
+1 for BMW X5.
I own a last gen X5 4.4i and is awesome. Handling is comparative to the Cayenne. Seems like you are looking for a premium SUV, then check out the 2006 X5 4.8is from last gen. No it doesn't have 500hp, but it's rugged, still fast, and is one of the best handling SUVs out there (still true today). Maintenance is definitely less than that of Cayenne.

dannie
12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
It's one of those vehicles that if you have to ask about the cost of maintenance you shouldn't buy it. $5000 -$10000 /year in repairs isn't unheard of. Awesome trucks though.

+1 I agree with this statement completely.

atgilchrist
12-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I can't comment on the reliability of the Cayenne, but my dad has an 06 touareg v8 that has been very reliable. I think the only thing he's had to do in 80,000km is the brakes, but that was a $2000 touch. I think that engine is the same as the one in the Cayenne S, and he's averaged ~18l/100km long term.

Very nice ride though, and it drives and handles better than any vehicle that weighs the better part of 6000lbs has any right to.

Redlyne_mr2
12-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by spiceboy
+1 for BMW X5.
I own a last gen X5 4.4i and is awesome. Handling is comparative to the Cayenne. Seems like you are looking for a premium SUV, then check out the 2006 X5 4.8is from last gen. No it doesn't have 500hp, but it's rugged, still fast, and is one of the best handling SUVs out there (still true today). Maintenance is definitely less than that of Cayenne.

Yah the 4.8is are awesome trucks if you can find one, they're quite rare. IIRC the engine was built by Cosworth as well.

Euro_Trash
12-15-2010, 11:43 AM

So do you want utility or luxury/speed? Just asking because something like an SRT8 has little or no utility compared to a Touareg diesel

M.alex
12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
This thread made me curious about them - wow, after reading up on Pistonheads about them they sure seem to be $$$$$$$ to maintain.

Failing fuel pumps, coil packs, and a plastic intake that starts to leaky leaky.

I don't think I'd want to own one at any price!

Maxt
12-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

So do you want utility or luxury/speed? Just asking because something like an SRT8 has little or no utility compared to a Touareg diesel
Good observation.
Speed is first, as with 4 doors. Really the awd is the underlying want so my wife can handle it in weather. Being able to maybe pull my car hauler was just a perk bonus

962 kid
12-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
This thread made me curious about them - wow, after reading up on Pistonheads about them they sure seem to be $$$$$$$ to maintain.

Failing fuel pumps, coil packs, and a plastic intake that starts to leaky leaky.

I don't think I'd want to own one at any price!

Don't forget PCV problems, plastic coolant pipe leaks, cam positions sensors, torque converter seals, 2000 dollar brake jobs, torn engine torque dampers, and the half dozen other fairly common mechanical problems that come up. The engine itself is super robust though, unfortunately the rest of the car isn't.

atgilchrist
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Good observation.
Speed is first, as with 4 doors. Really the awd is the underlying want so my wife can handle it in weather. Being able to maybe pull my car hauler was just a perk bonus

If you want to tow anything, the SRT8 is out, unfortunately. The centre exhaust eliminates towing without special mods.

Euro_Trash
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

If you want to tow anything, the SRT8 is out, unfortunately. The centre exhaust eliminates towing without special mods.

And even with those mods, IIRC the towing capacity is ridiculously low (less than 4000 lb)

InRich
12-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I love my X5 so far...
the 07+ X5 4.8s are available at great prices too.

I think its really hit and miss with any of these kinda cars.

Maxt
12-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Hmm, now that you guys have scared me off of that lol....
I can't see myself in a BMW, kinda like Fonzie in a polyester leisure suit.
I could hold out to see what the 2012 jeep srt8 brings, apparently over 500 hp. The new Cherokee interior is really well done, but there is probably not an srt8 model debut till at least late '11. The V10 toureg diesel apparently is older 2006 ish, they seem to be pretty high miles now that I zero in on them.
The other thought now is a roll my own truck, maybe look for a mint early 90's ramcharger from the southern states and drop an ISB cummins in it, or do a 572 B engine for it....
I would go for a G wagon if I could find a diesel one.

Alak
12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
If your gonna consider a G-wagon, why not look into a Land Cruiser? Plenty around in all different flavours, and about as luxurious as my land rover for the later model ones.

SKR
12-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I assume the answer is because every fucking idiot has one, but I'll ask anyway. If your wants are power, all wheel drive and utility, have you given any consideration to a 3/4 ton diesel truck? My GMC, with either a PPE tuner or EFI Live and a Suncoast or NADP transmission would have no trouble getting over 500hp/1000lb-ft to the wheels. That works out to high 12 second quarter miles, mileage in the high teens, room for 5 and enough capacity to haul or tow anything. 08-10 Fords can do the same with a Spartan tuner.

I understand there's a difference in class and refinement between every vehicle mentioned in this thread so far and a domestic pickup, but I just wondered how far off a truck would be from your needs.

The downside is that you're lumped in with the rolling coal, back window sticker of the kid pissing on some other brand's logo, truck nuts, bad driver, sister fucking douchebags. I doubt the thought of a Cayenne owner conjures up such a negative image. If you don't want to be part of that I wouldn't blame you.

Maxt
12-16-2010, 07:57 PM
I am not really a toyota fan..
I daily drive a 1 ton cummins, yeah I like the diesels for power and mileage.
You are correct though, I don't want to really join the ranks of the rolling coal club and my wife says she can't drive a vehicle that large.. The trucks available for the last 10 or so years, have been the ultimate 4x4's though, tons of power, really big ring gears and axles and lots of creature comfort, with decent transmissions. You couldn't in the past even build a truck as strong as they come off the assembly line now.
I really wish they made a wrangler diesel..
Looks like its going to be an Srt8..

Alak
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I really wish they made a wrangler diesel..

They do. They are just all on the wrong side of the ocean. Just like all the good stuff.

Maxt
12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Wonder if I could get a euro front cut and do an engine swap to one..

Alak
12-18-2010, 03:05 AM
05 - 06 Jeep Liberties used the same power plant. Its a really great engine to drive. I tried to buy one in 07 but ended up with a V6 version because there was none to be found. The CRD was coupled to a 5-Speed automatic, but Im sure the Euro version had the 6-Speed Manual that was availiable here on the Gas Engines.

The engine was discontinued because of rediculous emissions regulations intruduced in 07 (and still being introduced MORE rediculously each year). But the engine is in full service all over the world to this day (and probably years to come. Its THAT good an engine).