PDA

View Full Version : Focal Dealers

msommers
12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I've phoned around quite a few stores and am having a hard time tracking down someone that still carries Focal. K&W lists that they do, however after a brief phone call the salesman explained they dropped the line due to poor sales.

Their website lists no where in Calgary that has authorized dealers which seems really bizarre.

Cheers.

rvd
12-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Did you check Audio Concepts Mobile ?

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2010, 12:02 AM
General Audio sells Focal. They can usually get stuff in if they don't have it. Price probably won't be the greatest though.

r3ccOs
12-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
General Audio sells Focal. They can usually get stuff in if they don't have it. Price probably won't be the greatest though.

I personally like Rod @ General Audio and the Chorus 35 anniversary speakers are a really nice set...

The sandwich cones are excellent, but I'd probably sooner look @ Dynaudio, ProAC, and my fav Totem first.

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

I personally like Rod @ General Audio and the Chorus 35 anniversary speakers are a really nice set...

The sandwich cones are excellent, but I'd probably sooner look @ Dynaudio, ProAC, and my fav Totem first.

The staff are good people, they just are never willing to deal very much, even if you show them their competitors selling for way lower prices. The reason is that they are such a low volume store, and deal with some very high end stuff.

Their install guy was, in my opinion, totally not qualified for the job. Not sure if the same guy was there or not. We were going to have our whole home theater built by them until two things happened. First, we got the quote, which was way too high - they tried to sell us $300 HDMI cables with no discount, projector was $2,000 over priced, and various other things. Second, we told the install guy where we wanted our projector, and where we wanted the screen. We were flat out told both were impossible. Needless to say we didn't get them to do the install, and my Dad and I did the full install, doing everything no problem they told us was impossible. I also remember asking the install guy what the thought about a couple specific receivers, one made by Onkyo, one made by Integra. The only difference was the brand name (Internals identical) and he went on and on about how shitty Onkyo was and how good the Integra unit was lol.

General Audio used to be downtown, and owned by a different guy (before Rod). We bought our first home theater through them and it was an excellent experience, appropriate discounts, etc. It's a little different now but the staff, with the exception of the installer, is good.

JZS_147
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Audio Concepts will be able to help you out, their Focal pricing is wicked too.

msommers
12-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys. It is to demo a focal XS 2.1 system so I'm not sure if audio concepts will carry that. And quite frankly, I will not drop 700 bucks based solely on reviews.

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Why was this thread moved to In Car Entertainment/Electronics?

This thread has nothing to do with car audio, and Focal makes a lot more than just car audio...

Also I wouldn't spend $700 on an iPod dock without listening to it myself either. You pay a lot just for the Focal brand, but their products are typically very good.

This review seems very positive, if you haven't already come across it:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/ipod-accessories/535-a-secrets-accessory-review.html

msommers
12-16-2010, 12:22 PM
It's not just iPod usage but for the computer as well. I tend to listen to music almost all the time at my now, very small desk.

I'm still having a tough time deciding if I want to go the computer speaker route (easy to navigate music, no getting up) vs the B&W Zepplin iPod application which fills a room nicely and doesn't take up a tonne of space.

Mitsu3000gt
12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by msommers
It's not just iPod usage but for the computer as well. I tend to listen to music almost all the time at my now, very small desk.

I'm still having a tough time deciding if I want to go the computer speaker route (easy to navigate music, no getting up) vs the B&W Zepplin iPod application which fills a room nicely and doesn't take up a tonne of space.

The Zepplin seems to be the one that best satisfies both of your needs, as you can put it on your computer desk or in your computer room as well. If it had a remote, maybe you wouldn't need to get up either. I'm 99% sure I saw these on display at Sounds of Music so you could go listen to one live as well.

It's always easier to navigate music via the computer though.

Maybe consider the Zepplin along with some cheap-but-good computer speakers like the Logitech Z2300's.

I find that when I'm on the computer, it means I'm also doing something other than listening to music, so I am never really listening that critically anyways. Thats another reason I would maybe lean towards the more portable solution, whether or not I also bought some cheaper computer speakers to go along with it.

tictactoe2004
12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The Zepplin seems to be the one that best satisfies both of your needs, as you can put it on your computer desk or in your computer room as well. If it had a remote, maybe you wouldn't need to get up either. I'm 99% sure I saw these on display at Sounds of Music so you could go listen to one live as well.

It's always easier to navigate music via the computer though.

Maybe consider the Zepplin along with some cheap-but-good computer speakers like the Logitech Z2300's.

B&W Also makes some very nice computer speakers now, the MM1s.

msommers
12-16-2010, 01:00 PM
SoM does have it on for demo as well as their mini version, which I've read mixed reviews on.

The focal setup is ideal in terms of space and usage by the computer. General Audio got back to me and said they do not stock it and would need 100% down because it would be special order -- something I'm not entirely thrilled about. The only con of heard of the focal setup is cost. At 650 retail from GA, it isn't cheap; the zepplin is the same price. Reviews claim they produce nearfield true focal sound signature that one may have heard from other focal setups.

The zepplin will not fit on my desk and would need to be put on my dresser which is on the other side of my room. My extremely large L-desk is no more as I've since moved and down-sized to a...ohh probably 3' wide desk hahaha.

It's a tough decision because eventually I'll want to put together a home theatre setup. At the same time, I always listen to music at the computer and the size of the focal setup is spot-on. I believe they both come with remotes.

I guess we'll see how impressive the Zepplin is or isn't and go from there.

tictactoe2004
12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
I work for a B&W dealer, if you would like to hear the Zeppelin, Zeppelin mini or MM1s I have all three in stock and can offer also offer you a beyond.ca discount.

PM me if you want the details... Mods I cleared this with rage2 before posting. Just trying to help out a fellow beyonder.