PDA

View Full Version : Easy Money Transfer

davidI
12-16-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm working overseas and renting a house out. I've been trying to have my tenants send me rent via electronic money transfer, but there always seem to be problems. Any suggestions for an easier way to transfer cash? I bank with TD - not sure who they use.

davidI
12-16-2010, 05:09 AM
by electronic money transfer I mean e-mail transfer. Hoping for a simple solution...

ExtraSlow
12-16-2010, 07:12 AM
You're having trouble with the Interac email money transfer? That's been rock solid for me for several years now.
Can you describe the issues you're having? Are you sure it's not a problem with your tenants?

davidI
12-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Same problem with 2 sets of tenants so I don't think it's them.

Often the e-mails don't come through to me. They receive the confirmation codes but end up having to call their banks to sort it out. Sort of a PITA...

spike98
12-16-2010, 09:09 AM
I must say as well i have received hundreds of EMT's over the years and i have not once had a problem.

Perhaps both sets are giving you the run around.

Maybe you can get post dated cheques and have someone deposit them for you here?

Maybe you have a spam filter on your ISP that is blocking them? Do you use gmail or something of the like?

gqmw
12-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Emt's never have any problems for me and I've been using it for years now. If you're not getting the emails...I can only assume you gave them the wrong email address or they're screwing with you. Usually once you do an email money transfer, you'll receive the money in your email within the hour, sometimes even in 15-20 mins.

gqmw
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Or junk mail too as said before.

core_upt
12-16-2010, 01:25 PM
With TD, and maybe others, there is a $1000 limit on email transfer, but that usually kicks in as soon as you try to send funds over $1000.

But if you don't get the emails, but you can call the bank and sort it out without further involvement from the sender, then it isn't an issue on the senders side.

Perhaps the sender's email is being blocked or caught in your spam filter? The link I receive in mine (same situation as you: house rented in Cgy, while i live abroad) is to gateway.certapay.com. This has links to all the major banks to deposit funds.

I'd clarify with your tenants exactly what they are doing, then check your email settings to make sure they aren't being missed.

jacky4566
12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
PayPal? its free so long as the money comes from a debit source including the paypal account. Only problem is there incidence reports support the buyers most of the time so if there is a problem make sure you have all your paper work.

turbotrip
12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
You could just give them your account number, and have them wire it over instead of doing email transfers

ryder_23
12-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Don't use your work email address :dunno: )if you are using it)

I had trouble sending my buddy money who was working overseas, switched to his uni address and worked like a charm. He said it wouldn't even show up anywhere in his mailbox.

you&me
12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
You could just give them your account number, and have them wire it over instead of doing email transfers

Instead of having the tenants wire the funds, you could provide them with your account / wiring instructions and they can directly deposit the funds into your account. Faster than a wire (instantaneous), secure (they get a receipt showing the deposit, no chance of 'lost wires') and free for the sender.

I haven't sent a wire within Canada for years... there's simply no point if you have a branch of the recipients bank close to you.

DENZILDON
12-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You're having trouble with the Interac email money transfer? That's been rock solid for me for several years now.
Can you describe the issues you're having? Are you sure it's not a problem with your tenants?

Same here, never had a single issue with it.

gts_gurl
12-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I had money transfered from Australia, and we needed to wire it directly to my account. I had called my bank (TD), and was informed that they won't accept email money transfers from over seas.... Had the same issue (not receiving emails to deposit, etc) from a Libyan bank to a Scotia account here, and it was resolved again, doing a direct wire transfer.

davidI
12-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Hmm, still haven't figured it out but will keep looking into it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pollywog
12-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I also have found EMT to be the best way to transfer money, however I have never sent nor recieved overseas. Best of luck.

davidI
12-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
I also have found EMT to be the best way to transfer money, however I have never sent nor recieved overseas. Best of luck.

It's a domestic account. Shouldn't be a problem.