PDA

View Full Version : Insurance questions

Iceman_19
12-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Coming from bc, I have no idea about this privatized insurance. What are things they factor in to decide on what your insurance quote will be? I have had my license here for a few months, but am still rocking bc insurance as I'm pretty sure I will not be inspecting my jeep, haha. Next vehicle I get I will be insuring here, so I'm wondering what comes into play for your premiums.

friedn00dles
12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
My recommendation will be to find a broker that deals with SGI canada. I sell for SGI but i am located in Edmonton. They will take your First licensed date as your first insurance Date. Soooo 6 years licensed = 6 years insurance history = lower premiums.

They are the only company that i know of that will do this for clients coming out of BC and Manitoba. (starting off by N-Badge license)

How many years licensed?
how many years continuously insured
convictions
accidents
suspensions
etc...etc....

alot of factors affect your premium

Kloubek
12-16-2010, 11:19 AM
If you're young, and haven't had your license for long, expect to pay much higher premiums here.

Everything is based on what they consider your risk level. So, if you are a newer driver you're higher risk and will pay a ton more than someone such as myself.

I know nothing about SGI Canada, but going to a couple of insurance brokers is a good idea. They'll try to hammer out the best rate out of multiple places for you.

Iceman_19
12-16-2010, 11:20 AM
How do the insurance companies here go about getting that info from icbc?

Iceman_19
12-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
If you're young, and haven't had your license for long, expect to pay much higher premiums here.

Everything is based on what they consider your risk level. So, if you are a newer driver you're higher risk and will pay a ton more than someone such as myself.

I know nothing about SGI Canada, but going to a couple of insurance brokers is a good idea. They'll try to hammer out the best rate out of multiple places for you.

Ok good to know, thanks guys. I have been licensed for nearly 11 years and hold 3 license classes.

friedn00dles
12-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Call (604) 661-2255

Request a Drivers Abstract and Claims History Letter.

I usually get the client that's sitting infront of me to call them while i write up the application. ICBC is awesome because it's free and you can have it within minutes via email/fax.

If the claims history letter show's you've had plates and vehicles insured since 2004/05 with no claims or tickets. Rates will be pretty cheap and companies prefer that kind of business any where you go.

But if you've had gaps of insurance history, it's best to find a broker that will deal with SGI canada and they will ignore those gaps and only look at your license date.

edit: Broker list in Calgary that deal with SGI

SGI CANADA Insurance Services Ltd. Alberta brokers in the selected location are listed alphabetically by community below:

AB Southern Insurance Limited
202 1919 Sirocco Drive SW , Calgary AB

AGM Insurance Ltd
Bay B, 2017 Centre Street NW , Calgary AB

Diamond Insurance Agencies Ltd
303 - 11420 27th Street Southeast, Calgary AB

Foster Park Baskett Insurance Ltd
220 - 1122 4th Street Southwest, Calgary AB

HUB International Canada West ULC
410 - 7220 Fisher Street Southeast, Calgary AB

J Folk & Associates Agencies Ltd
A201 - 1600 - 90 Avenue SW , Calgary AB