PDA

View Full Version : DVI Monitor input dead?

Afrodeziak
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I have a Dell 24" s2409w monitor that has been plugged into my macbook pro via an adapter for the past year and a half. The other day I went to turn on the monitor and it went straight to sleep mode. Was not recognized by the macbook, etc. I figured it's either the adapter, the DVI cable or the input.

I tested the monitor with HDMI and VGA in, both WORK.

So I test the Monitor on a PC desktop and DVI does not work, VGA Works. I try with a brand new DVI cable, both on the laptop.. same .. nothing happens.

I then try using an older 15" dell LCD that is normally hooked up to the desktop via VGA. I can't get it to work with DVI on either the desktop or macbook pro through adapter.

Basically DVI is the devil and not wanting to work. So more research and I am learning that Dell monitors have a habit of going into "sleep state" and you have to recover it????

wtf... totally new to me with computers.. anyways, I burn a boot disk, try following some tutorials and nothings working.

any ideas what to do at this point? sure I can use HDMI in and it's fine.. but I'd prefer to know that these monitors will take anything I can throw at them.

GQBalla
12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
try to unlpug both the monitor and computer
hook up the dvi to the monitor than the pc
plug in power of the pc and the than the monitor
turn pc on and than monitor

you've probably tried that but i noticed that works most the time.

Afrodeziak
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Yes, I've tried doing all that power drain stuff, but I'll try it in the exact order you mentioned.

Some people have related the Dell issue to bad video cards that Dell had in their machines (my desktop is not Dell).

I tried doing the exact same things with both of the monitors. power drain, dvi reset with CD..