PDA

View Full Version : Another waste of space is free

Kennyredline
12-16-2010, 01:21 PM
This headline contradicts itself pretty bad....seriously, why should this faggit be allowed to walk free anywhere?

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101216/CGY_danny_depew_101216/20101216/?hub=CalgaryHome

NuclearPizzaMan
12-16-2010, 02:05 PM
What a fucking joke...

dexlargo
12-16-2010, 02:47 PM
The headline doesn't contradict itself. He's been designated as a high risk offender by a judge after a hearing. The purpose of doing that is so that he can be bound by conditions when he is released from prison. The designation of 'high risk offender' only has any kind of meaning in the context of a person who's been released from custody because it allows these controls after release.

Without the designation, because he's served his entire sentence, he would be free to go wherever he wants and do whatever he wants and the police would be very limited in their powers to check up on him or to warn the community.

HHURICANE1
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Why wouldn't you release him? According to our penal & parole system anyone incarcerated for any reason is completely rehabilitated and completely harmless to society upon release. What would give anyone cause to think otherwise? :nut:

spike98
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Also, given the information in the link what is the basis for your "waste of space lable"?

In no way i am condoning any sexual crime of any nature but it seems that either you know the person or you like to run around the internet passing judgement on people based upon a very very vague shitty written blurb buried in the ctv news page.

freshprince1
12-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Also, given the information in the link what is the basis for your "waste of space lable"?

In no way i am condoning any sexual crime of any nature but it seems that either you know the person or you like to run around the internet passing judgement on people based upon a very very vague shitty written blurb buried in the ctv news page.

"A man with a lengthy history of sexual assault, assault and parole violations [dating back to 1992] has been released into the Calgary area."

That from a legit news source is enough for me to pass judgement on this guy. he has proven over the course of 18 years that he is a legitmate scumbag. He's no one time offender. He's been arrested multiple times, and violated parole conditions after having been released before.

polarice
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

"A man with a lengthy history of sexual assault, assault and parole violations [dating back to 1992] has been released into the Calgary area."

That from a legit news source is enough for me to pass judgement on this guy. he has proven over the course of 18 years that he is a legitmate scumbag. He's no one time offender. He's been arrested multiple times, and violated parole conditions after having been released before.

Legit news source? No.

I cannot read or watch the news reports on crime anymore because of how skewed and untruthful they are. Language bias, facts left out or misrepresented all paints a picture that sells. That is their goal Every once and awhile there are some good finds, but its rare these days.

For example, this particular offenders history of breaking parole can be as simple as not calling into a PO, or some other procedural break. He is a High risk designation, not a dangerous offender.

Not saying this guy is an angel but people need to be more critical of what they read and not take it as being legitimate.

Feruk
12-17-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't know what sexual assault means any more. Buddy got charged with that for touching a waitresse's boobie when very drunk. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that this guy did anything all that bad till they say more.

Sugarphreak
12-17-2010, 10:24 AM

freshprince1
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by polarice

Legit news source? No.

I cannot read or watch the news reports on crime anymore because of how skewed and untruthful they are. Language bias, facts left out or misrepresented all paints a picture that sells. That is their goal Every once and awhile there are some good finds, but its rare these days.

For example, this particular offenders history of breaking parole can be as simple as not calling into a PO, or some other procedural break. He is a High risk designation, not a dangerous offender.

Not saying this guy is an angel but people need to be more critical of what they read and not take it as being legitimate.

Originally posted by Feruk
I don't know what sexual assault means any more. Buddy got charged with that for touching a waitresse's boobie when very drunk. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that this guy did anything all that bad till they say more.

A repeat offender? Sexual Assault? Sexual Exploitation? Violating parole? Dated criminal history? Why are you guys bending over backwards for this guy?

I can understand maybe a one time offender, but really, this guy has proven himself to be a scumbag. And so what if his violation of parole was only missing a phone call (which it probably wasn't)...those were the conditions of his release and he still couldn't manage to fulfill them. What if his violation of parole was hanging out at the playground where your kids play?

Maybe I'm insensitive, but I'm not giving this guy the benefit of doubt. I won't say he's hopeless, but when a guy like this gets released and the Police say it's in the community's best interest to be aware...I'm going to take their word over a tried and true criminal. I have no qualms erring on the side of caution in this case.

Merry Christmas.

BigMass
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan
What a fucking joke...

this thread is a joke. He served his time, let it go. Every day people that have committed crimes get released. You think every time someone commits a crime they should be locked away for life?

Sugarphreak
12-17-2010, 01:00 PM

BigMass
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Repeat offenders should, they have already been given the chance to be rehabilitated without success and are a danger to society... lock em' up.

i agree, but depending on the crimes. Sexual assault is vague. assault is vague, violating parole could have meant he slept in one day and missed an appointment. We don’t have enough details to say that this guy should be locked up for life. It’s not like he got away. He did serve his time. And I’m not saying this guy is innocent or a nice guy. He could very well be the scum of the earth.

polarice
12-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

A repeat offender? Sexual Assault? Sexual Exploitation? Violating parole? Dated criminal history? Why are you guys bending over backwards for this guy?

I can understand maybe a one time offender, but really, this guy has proven himself to be a scumbag. And so what if his violation of parole was only missing a phone call (which it probably wasn't)...those were the conditions of his release and he still couldn't manage to fulfill them. What if his violation of parole was hanging out at the playground where your kids play?

Maybe I'm insensitive, but I'm not giving this guy the benefit of doubt. I won't say he's hopeless, but when a guy like this gets released and the Police say it's in the community's best interest to be aware...I'm going to take their word over a tried and true criminal. I have no qualms erring on the side of caution in this case.

Merry Christmas.

I am not bending over backwards by any means-- I just don't take crime reporting as being necessarily truthful. Thus, I am inherently skeptical when I read stories like these. I am more familiar with the American statistics for parole violations, but it is disproportionately higher for administrative breaks rather than criminal ones. Ever been late for work? Same type of thing except offenders are expected to be perfect-- no allowance for mistakes.

My beef comes from media representation of criminals and crime in general. Not this designation for this particular offender. Labeling him high risk is erring on the side of caution for the public's sake.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Repeat offenders should, they have already been given the chance to be rehabilitated without success and are a danger to society... lock em' up.

Thats not really true. The prison system in Canada is not designed for rehab. While it is certainly part of the process in the form of some programs that are offered, it is not the main function. Especially for offenders serving 2 years or less or those on lengthy sentences that get bounced around.

e31
12-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Fence-sitters have to realize this: A "Criminal" has been labeled such because they have done something to violate the social order. Just because you aren't concerned about the risk an offender puts on the rest of us doesn't make you tough, more politically correct, or anything special.

Why is there "Beef" with the media's representation of crime. I was under the impression that crime should be frowned upon and chastised when it occurs, and they seem to embellish this. Do you think differently? Although I applaud your general skepticism, but you really should redirect it towards something more constructive.

The fact is that it doesn't matter what designation a criminal receives. They offend, they get processed, then are let out; a process that creates victims and ruins lives. You can't sugar coat any part of that without still tasting a whole lot of shit, so I suggest not trying.

ekguy
12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Canada has it all wrong with the justice system...A pot smoker can get arrested and be considered a criminal and people who commit heinous crimes go to jail and are released even if they are deemed a high risk to re-offend...