PDA

View Full Version : ticket for expired registration question

gotchu
12-17-2010, 03:30 PM
i got pulled over last night for having expired registration which expired nov 30 2010...i totally forgot that i had to renew it because i bought another vehicle and about to sell this one..got a ticket of $130 ..any chance to fight it? demerits? i remember having mail reminding when my registration expires but i did not get any..any input? thx

J-hop
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM

G-ZUS
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Go plead guilty to a lesser charge. No demerits on it

gotchu
12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
go to court and get the fine deducted?

SkittleFreak
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Lucky you didn't get impounded

J-hop
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM

JustGo
12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
I am not sure how you got a $130 ticket for expired reg. Operating an expired vehicle is $230, and failing to produce the current document is $172. I can't think of any $130 tickets.

Anyways, you should have got a letter in the mail early November reminding you to register the vehicle. If you've moved recently and didn't get the letter, that may be a semi-valid argument, however, it's still ultimately your responsibility to remember.

gotchu
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak
Lucky you didn't get impounded

yeah i guess i was lucky..but my insurance was updated and i have two vehicles in my name..i was with my two girl friends and police even ask for their id's and she checked them too which i do not know why

gotchu
12-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
I am not sure how you got a $130 ticket for expired reg. Operating an expired vehicle is $230, and failing to produce the current document is $172. I can't think of any $130 tickets.

Anyways, you should have got a letter in the mail early November reminding you to register the vehicle. If you've moved recently and didn't get the letter, that may be a semi-valid argument, however, it's still ultimately your responsibility to remember.

ye we did move to a different house..never received any mail about renewing my registration...think i could use that in?

gotchu
12-17-2010, 04:21 PM
o nevermind its 230

JustGo
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm sure you could go to court and explain that... I mean, it doesn't excuse the INSURANCE part of it... and it certainly wouldn't get you off the entire ticket, but I'm sure if you explain that with your recent move, and all the stresses involved *wink wink*, you just lost track of the paperwork, it was an honest mistake and you've already gone to the registries to correct it...

Maybe they'll squash the reg one, and you can just pay the insurance.

gotchu
12-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
I'm sure you could go to court and explain that... I mean, it doesn't excuse the INSURANCE part of it... and it certainly wouldn't get you off the entire ticket, but I'm sure if you explain that with your recent move, and all the stresses involved *wink wink*, you just lost track of the paperwork, it was an honest mistake and you've already gone to the registries to correct it...

Maybe they'll squash the reg one, and you can just pay the insurance.

i only got one ticket for the expired plate / registration
not for insurance..my insurance was updated ..its insured

ExtraSlow
12-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Wait, you have TWO girlfriends?

:poosie:

JustGo
12-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by gotchu

i only got one ticket for the expired plate / registration
not for insurance..my insurance was updated ..its insured
Oh, sorry... I must be thinking of something else... but that registration thing should work for at least a smaller fine. Hope that helps.

Kloubek
12-17-2010, 05:57 PM
If you go down and fight it, they might lower it as a courtesy. They normally do - especially if you say you moved and provide that as a (previously said) SEMI-legit excuse.

No demerits for this ticket though - just a fine.

pinoyboy88
12-17-2010, 06:31 PM
if you show up to court on the written date..if the cop does not show up..ticket gets thrown?

superboss
12-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Go plead guilty to a lesser charge. No demerits on it
True, happened to me!!:clap: :clap:

bignerd
12-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Did you update your address when you moved on your drivers license?

thetransporter
12-21-2010, 02:52 AM
my friend once got pulled over and had a expired operators lisense, he told the officer "i thought now they just send you a new one in the mail just like when your credit card expires"