PDA

View Full Version : Some help picking out a $150-$200 Camera

Neil4Speed
12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Everyone!

I was looking to pick up a camera for a buddy of mine for his birthday, but was kind of torn between different models, it seems like there is a multitude of good options in that price range. I would say it has to be a pretty versatile camera able to go from either use at the club, or on vacation.

As the top of the price spectrum is this Sony - The W390 (W380 in other countries, highly regarded for the most part)

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-cybershot-14-1mp-digital-camera-dsc-w390-black-future-shop-exclusive-dscw390b/10138223.aspx?path=3d01e6da46ffdd6f5d3b705cf76b0c25en02&lid=fp-10138223-sonysonycybershot141mpdigitalc-en

Next the Panasonic DMC-FH20k (I have heard good things about Panasonic Cameras)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/panasonic-panasonic-lumix-14-1mp-digital-camera-dmcfh20k-black-dmcfh20k/10139646.aspx?path=a7f8432e0a37aad5ee3c5ce9aa7c2898en02

The Nikon S6000 (complimented for its accurate color reproduction)

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/panasonic-panasonic-14-1mp-digital-camera-dmcfh3k-black-future-shop-exclusive-dmcfh3k/10139774.aspx?path=75cbaf4f4cd1cb07e9083005a0704b62en02

The Canon SD1400IS

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001239.aspx?path=4389b88f46c8f0a5baf31a2399bdcf0fen02&lid=fp-b9001239--en

And then rounding up the bottom, the Canon SD780IS and the Panasonic DMCFH3K.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/canon-powershot-12-1mp-digital-camera-sd780is-black-future-shop-exclusive/10120679.aspx?path=0c2ce3c9e7db51ba01bf2ed479f427f7en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/panasonic-panasonic-14-1mp-digital-camera-dmcfh3k-black-future-shop-exclusive-dmcfh3k/10139774.aspx?path=75cbaf4f4cd1cb07e9083005a0704b62en02

Any ideas guys, I am kind of at a loss on even where to start.

Alterac
12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
+1 for Canons SD line, Ive owned 3 of those, and ive also used fuji's / panasonics, and a sony or two.

The Canons were the most responsive and support standard memory cards. (SDHC)

Mitsu3000gt
12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
The bottom line is that anything in that price range is going to be extremely similar. They all will be basic point & shoot cameras, they will take acceptable pictures in good light or with flash, and they will have generally poor performance in low light (both autofocus and high ISO performance).

I can see how shopping would be frustrating, P&S cameras have by far the highest turnover and the most models in the camera market. Often the changes are very subtle.

IMO you won't do any better than the following for under $200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=fuji+f80&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

The dollar is at par, and it's $55 less at B&H than it is locally. If you want to go that route and you need it before Christmas, I'm making an order from B&H tomorrow and we could split the shipping. That is a better camera than anything on your list.

If you want to buy locally and keep things simple, I would just go buy any Canon SD series camera. They are solid performers for the money, but still suffer from all the things that lower-end point and shoot cameras do.

spike98
12-20-2010, 01:53 AM
I vote the SD1400IS, just picked one up in black for $150 and its the best bang for your buck you can get. Amazing little camera. Great quality pictures, nice controls and layout and its very compact. I dont have one complaint about mine and i have rolled through about 300 shots so far. Great piece!

max_boost
12-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by spike98
I vote the SD1400IS, just picked one up in black for $150 and its the best bang for your buck you can get. Amazing little camera. Great quality pictures, nice controls and layout and its very compact. I dont have one complaint about mine and i have rolled through about 300 shots so far. Great piece!

:werd:

$160 and you get an 8gb card.

Killer deal.

Neil4Speed
12-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks so much for the comments.

Mitus, I was hoping you would comment on this thread lol! Thanks for the offer to combine the shipping, that Fuji looks absolutely killer, but I need to have something in my hands hopefully today at the latest tommorow so it won't work. I can't believe they have 10x opticals in Compact cameras now! It seems like Fuji is the "enthusiast" camera when it comes to P/S, with a few great "Sweet spot" models. It has Class leading image quality, its a pretty solid buy especially at that price point.

I have narrowed it down between the Panasonic (will probably go for the 22 rather than the 20, its only $20 more and has a slightly larger LCD touch screen), the Canon SD1400is, and the Sony W390 (which is similar to the W380)

I want to go take a look at all three and see how they look and maybe get some other opinions. The size of the camera is of also some concern, so I need to see that as well (I believe the Canon will have the edge there, with the Sony being in the middle).

Love that the Panasonic has a 8X optical and rated number one on Digital Camera HQ - which seems pretty reputable.

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/panasonic-fh20?rel=sb

Thanks for the help again guys!

Mitsu3000gt
12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Thanks so much for the comments.

Mitus, I was hoping you would comment on this thread lol! Thanks for the offer to combine the shipping, that Fuji looks absolutely killer, but I need to have something in my hands hopefully today at the latest tommorow so it won't work. I can't believe they have 10x opticals in Compact cameras now! It seems like Fuji is the "enthusiast" camera when it comes to P/S, with a few great "Sweet spot" models. It has Class leading image quality, its a pretty solid buy especially at that price point.

I have narrowed it down between the Panasonic (will probably go for the 22 rather than the 20, its only $20 more and has a slightly larger LCD touch screen), the Canon SD1400is, and the Sony W390 (which is similar to the W380)

I want to go take a look at all three and see how they look and maybe get some other opinions. The size of the camera is of also some concern, so I need to see that as well (I believe the Canon will have the edge there, with the Sony being in the middle).

Love that the Panasonic has a 8X optical and rated number one on Digital Camera HQ - which seems pretty reputable.

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/panasonic-fh20?rel=sb

Thanks for the help again guys!

Yeah you probably wouldn't have anything until this Wednesday if you ordered from B&H, so if that's too late its not an option I guess.

Between the Panasonic and the Canon, I would just pick whichever one has the features or bells & whistles you think your friend would like most. In that range of camera they are all fundamentally the same, and designed knowing that 99% of their buyers will leave them on auto mode all the time.

They are all going to take decent pictures in good light or with flash, and be perfectly fine for web sharing or small prints.

Neil4Speed
12-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey Mitsu,

Just a heads up if you havn't ordered the Fuji yet, looks like London Drugs will have it for $200 on boxing day.

http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index.php/flyers2010/image_full/1244/

Cheers!

msommers
12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Wow that's a really good price!

clem24
12-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Don't be fooled by the marketing that is optical zooms. You're not likely to use the long end of the zoom much (i.e fully zoomed). What's more useful is to look at the lowest equivalent in mm, which is the lens' widest setting. You'll get much more use out of a wide lens than something that zooms 50x. The good cameras these days start at 28mm equivalent. Try to find one that goes even wider! In this case, the Sony has a much more useful zoom!

Like Mitsu mentioned, the picture quality of all these cameras will be similar if not the same. For my money, I'd easily get the Sony all because of that 24mm. And also because Sony's are known to be very, very quick cameras (i.e. responsive), especially for shot to shot with and without flash.

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Mitsu,

Just a heads up if you havn't ordered the Fuji yet, looks like London Drugs will have it for $200 on boxing day.

Cheers!

I'm actually not looking to buy one, I just mentioned it as it seemed ideal for your friend. I was ordering other stuff from B&H but could have just thrown one on the order as well if you wanted one - that's all I meant. That is a wicked price though considering it's local, thanks for posting. I'm sure someone will jump on it.

What did you end up buying?

D. Dub
12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey Mitsu,

Cheers!

Good deal. It's $5 cheaper than London Drugs delivered to your door.

afrotl
01-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Looks like I am in the market for a point and shoot camera as well....looking for something in the $250.00 range.
I am looking at canons right now but considering maybe a Nikon...what are your thoughts on nikons? I have always liked the Canons but maybe willing to try another brand.

Mitsu3000gt
01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by afrotl
Looks like I am in the market for a point and shoot camera as well....looking for something in the $250.00 range.
I am looking at canons right now but considering maybe a Nikon...what are your thoughts on nikons? I have always liked the Canons but maybe willing to try another brand.

Are you willing to up your budget at all to the $400 range for a significantly better camera than anything below it?

Also, what features are most important to you? Do you need a big zoom? Do you care about ISO performance? Do you care about user controls or will it spend it's life in AUTO mode? What will you be using this to take pictures of? Things like that will make recommending something to you much easier. The more info the better as the P&S market has by far the largest choice and highest turnover.

clem24
01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Tried that Fuji a few days ago. Man it's freakin' slow and generally unresponsive (shot to shot time). Also tried a similarly priced Canon and it was much quicker, no contest really.

afrotl
01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Are you willing to up your budget at all to the $400 range for a significantly better camera than anything below it?

Also, what features are most important to you? Do you need a big zoom? Do you care about ISO performance? Do you care about user controls or will it spend it's life in AUTO mode? What will you be using this to take pictures of? Things like that will make recommending something to you much easier. The more info the better as the P&S market has by far the largest choice and highest turnover.

For the amount I will use the camera for I think I will want to stay in the $250 ish range,
No need for a big zoom.
Yes ISO performance is important
The camera will spend majority of the time in auto mode, I might occasionally make use of some of the controls.
We will be taking pictures of the kids, and my wife uses it mainly to take pictures of her and her friends when she goes out.
I was just looking at the following:
Canon 3100 IS
Nikon Cool Pix s4000

Thanks

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2011, 10:48 AM

For the amount I will use the camera for I think I will want to stay in the $250 ish range,
No need for a big zoom.
Yes ISO performance is important
The camera will spend majority of the time in auto mode, I might occasionally make use of some of the controls.
We will be taking pictures of the kids, and my wife uses it mainly to take pictures of her and her friends when she goes out.
I was just looking at the following:
Canon 3100 IS
Nikon Cool Pix s4000

Thanks

Just so there are no surprises, no P&S camera can capture action well, especially in low light. If your kids are stationary then of course that is no problem.

Just about every regular P&S camera meets your criteria except for your low light performance preference. None of them are spectacular but you can indeed find some P&S cameras with larger or better than normal sensors which helps.

Ones I would recommend:

Fujifilm F80 EXR ($225 local, $180 USA)

Fujifilm F300 EXR ($298 local, $199 USA)

Nikon S8100 ($265 local, $299 USA)

And finally if you do decide to up your budget, The Camera Store still has Canon S90's in stock for $347. It is unquestionably better than the above cameras but I realize it's $100 over budget.

Anyways, MOST cameras <250 perform pretty well the same which is very average. You're mostly buying marketing and bells & whistles. Those Fuji's use a larger than normal sensor which will be better (less grainy) in low light. In auto mode on a bright sunny day you'll never notice a difference between any P&S camera on the market <250.

I also recommend you head out to a store and try out these cameras to make sure they meet your expectations for responsiveness, handling, etc.

Sadly, the overhwhelming trend these days seems to be pack as many megapixels into the smallest sensor possible so that the camera costs nothing to make, has crap image quality at anything over the base ISO, and looks good on paper to the uneducated consumer - thats where the money is.

afrotl
01-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Most of the kids shot will be stationary. The Nikon s8100 looks good and right around the price range I am targeting.
Not really heard much about Fuji but I will try and get some reviews on them on the net.
The S90 looks promising as well I will see if I can convince the wife to up the spending budget.

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it.

msommers
01-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Sadly, the overhwhelming trend these days seems to be pack as many megapixels into the smallest sensor possible so that the camera costs nothing to make, has crap image quality at anything over the base ISO, and looks good on paper to the uneducated consumer - thats where the money is.

It is sad but customers need to do their due diligence before making a purchase if you really care.

My buddy bought a new camera and much to my surprise (not that I'm an expert but still), he didn't even ask me anything about it. I looked at it and for the price, it actually wasn't too bad looking at the specs on it however the aperture wasn't that great. Still, the first thing he told me was "dude, look at this thing. 14 megapixels!" He was so damn excited I didn't even bother explaining other aspects that made it a decent purchase.

IMO if people want to get the biggest bang for their buck, they need to ask someone or spend time really researching it. Otherwise you taking marketing bait and who knows what you'll end up with.

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Most of the kids shot will be stationary. The Nikon s8100 looks good and right around the price range I am targeting.
Not really heard much about Fuji but I will try and get some reviews on them on the net.
The S90 looks promising as well I will see if I can convince the wife to up the spending budget.

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it.

The S90 would be great, but the S95 is out now too. If you can up-sell your wife to the $350 S90, look into the S95. It goes on sale sometimes to $378 and then you can have it 5% price beat by various retailers. I think I paid $360 for mine with very little effort and retail is $399-449 depending on the store. They aren't much different though. S95 has updated controls (stiffer control ring), slightly sharper lens, and 720p video. Other than that it's the same as the S90 (Overall image quality is very similar - same sensor and all). The S90/S95 are quite a bit ahead of everything else here in high ISO performance.

Fuji makes a great P&S, and before the megapixel race really got crazy, had some GREAT cameras on the market for the time (F20, F30, F31fd, F200 EXR, F70 EXR). It kind of when downhill from there but they are still very good.

The S8100 is a great general P&S. It uses a fairly small high MP sensor, but it's a back illuminated CMOS sensor which helps it out in the noise department and allows it to do things faster (continuous shooting and 1080p video mostly).

Originally posted by msommers

It is sad but customers need to do their due diligence before making a purchase if you really care.

My buddy bought a new camera and much to my surprise (not that I'm an expert but still), he didn't even ask me anything about it. I looked at it and for the price, it actually wasn't too bad looking at the specs on it however the aperture wasn't that great. Still, the first thing he told me was &quot;dude, look at this thing. 14 megapixels!&quot; He was so damn excited I didn't even bother explaining other aspects that made it a decent purchase.

IMO if people want to get the biggest bang for their buck, they need to ask someone or spend time really researching it. Otherwise you taking marketing bait and who knows what you'll end up with.

Most people I know come to me as well for camera/electronics help but the odd time they don't haha. And like you I certainly don't claim to know everything, but some of the stuff they buy is surprisingly bad, or they take advice from a different friend whose criteria is simply something like "Sony is better than everything because it's Sony" haha. But yeah then since they know I am a camera guy, they are excited to tell me about their new camera and start hitting me with the megapixel specs, pet-face detection, touch screen, etc. haha. It's not hard to see why they make P&S cameras like they do for the most part now.

Before I buy anything I research like crazy, ask others, go on forums, etc. etc. Lots of people don't like putting in the effort though. I notice that with car purchases too. I know people who decided they wanted to get a new car and literally went out that day and bought the first thing they found that remotely met their criteria.

afrotl
01-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Good points I will try and convince the wife as to why it is worth getting the s90 or 95. It looks like it is the top of the line when it comes to P&S and then from there you get into DSLR's.
So if I am correct the list is as follows:
1 Canon S90/S95
2. Nikon S8100
3. Fujifilm F300 EXR

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Good points I will try and convince the wife as to why it is worth getting the s90 or 95. It looks like it is the top of the line when it comes to P&amp;S and then from there you get into DSLR's.
So if I am correct the list is as follows:
1 Canon S90/S95
2. Nikon S8100
3. Fujifilm F300 EXR

S95 is definitely the top of this list. With a little effort it can be had for nearly the same price as a S90 so no biggie there. The S90 is just cheaper because it's last year's model. A lot of guys use this as their backup camera for a DSLR, including myself. There are other, more expensive options (Canon G12, Nikon P7000, Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1) but the S95 is the only camera that provides that same image quality in a super small and truly pocketable package.

The S95 and similar are VERY good by point & shoot standards, just remember they still don't even come close to a DSLR, and are not intended to replace them in the least. Many of the same frustrations people have with P&S cameras exist in the top of the line P&S cameras (slow autofocus and underpowered flashes to name a couple things). The S95 is great but it's not a miracle camera or anything.

I'd take the F300 over the S8100 personally, but they are quite similar.

afrotl
01-12-2011, 09:18 AM

S95 is definitely the top of this list. With a little effort it can be had for nearly the same price as a S90 so no biggie there. The S90 is just cheaper because it's last year's model. A lot of guys use this as their backup camera for a DSLR, including myself. There are other, more expensive options (Canon G12, Nikon P7000, Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1) but the S95 is the only camera that provides that same image quality in a super small and truly pocketable package.

The S95 and similar are VERY good by point &amp; shoot standards, just remember they still don't even come close to a DSLR, and are not intended to replace them in the least. Many of the same frustrations people have with P&amp;S cameras exist in the top of the line P&amp;S cameras (slow autofocus and underpowered flashes to name a couple things). The S95 is great but it's not a miracle camera or anything.

I'd take the F300 over the S8100 personally, but they are quite similar.

Good info, it always helps to do some research before purchasing these things.

dirtsniffer
01-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey photogs I need some advice. I'm going to get a camera for my birthday in the 3-500 dollar range. I'm not exactly sure what to expect though. I am mainly focused on quality images and such, size isnt really an issue.
Should I go with a high end p&s? what else is out there in that range?
some of the ones I've seen

cannon sx210is
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10347150&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|4708&N=4008713&Mo=35&No=9&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4708&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C

cannonsx1is
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10336615&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|4708&N=4008713&Mo=34&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4708&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

nikon s8000
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10345937&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|4708&N=4008713&Mo=34&No=13&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4708&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

any suggestions would be appreciated, tyia:)

Mitsu3000gt
01-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I am mainly focused on quality images and such, size isnt really an issue.

If you don't care about size and image quality is of highest importance to you, you should be looking at DSLRs and not point & shoot cameras. They don't even begin to compare image quality wise. The image sensor in an entry level DSLR is as much as 10+ times the size of those used in most P&S cameras.

Raise your budget to $650 or so and you'll be all set with a good entry level DSLR and a kit lens. The only thing you're not going to find on a DSLR that you will on some P&S cameras are the ridiculous 20X or 36X zoom lenses (which aren't good anyways).

dirtsniffer
01-29-2011, 10:37 PM
any suggestions? like a good buy right now? im looking, but unsure what im looking for...

would a nikon d3100 with a vr lens be a good deal for 650?
or can you show me a website were i could get some beginners info? and you mentioned in another thread the d90 for 675, any ideas where i can find one? would it come with a vr lens? thanks again

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
any suggestions? like a good buy right now? im looking, but unsure what im looking for...

would a nikon d3100 with a vr lens be a good deal for 650?
or can you show me a website were i could get some beginners info? and you mentioned in another thread the d90 for 675, any ideas where i can find one? would it come with a vr lens? thanks again

The D90 @ $675 is the best bang for the buck for sure, but it doesn't come with a lens at that price. For $130 extra you can get a 50/1.8 or $150 extra for a 18-55VR. A lot more camera than the D3100 but it's a bit more expensive.

The D3100 (or any other entry level DSLR) is great for a beginner but it's drawbacks will become fairly apparent as you start to learn more. Had I started with the most entry level camera possible when I was in the market, I'd have upgraded within a month or two. It will still absolutely demolish any point & shoot camera on the market though, in literally every category other than physical size.

The Camera Store as the D90 w/18-55 VR kits in stock right now for $824 and with the 18-105VR for $984.

What kind of beginners info are you looking for? The "Learn" section on dpreview is not bad if you still need the basic knowledge:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Exposure/