PDA

View Full Version : Eviction Question

baygirl
12-19-2010, 10:20 PM
When I moved into my current residence in Feb. 2007 a 3 month lease was signed in my husband's name only, but nothing when it expired. My question is can the landlord evict me because my ex is moving out?

You might think it's a silly question, but I'm just trying to make sure there are no surprises down the road...

Q-TIP
12-19-2010, 11:02 PM
The lease is over, if you were going to be kicked out the landlord would have done it regardless of if your husband was still there or not. The lease agreement only ensured your husband stayed in the house for 3 months. After that point either of you could leave and the landlord wouldn't give two shits as long as the other one paid the rent.

Kloubek
12-19-2010, 11:05 PM
So what... you're going month to month now?

Technically, he can kick you out because the lease has expired. (Though there are rules as to how long you'd have to move out)

I would contact the landlord and see if he would like another lease to be signed.

garnet
12-19-2010, 11:58 PM
most landlords are happy to have just a female tenant, and besides he doesn't really need to know that you are seperating
the fact that you are has no bearing on your rental situation either
after you've completed the move out, then go and renew your lease with him

here's a link you should read up on
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Landlords_Tenants.cfm

Cos
12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I think if you are month to month he still has to give you 30 or 60 days or something. I remember a few years ago I made a post about this when I was giving notice and bought my house. I will see if I can find it.

kaput
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM

baygirl
12-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by garnet
most landlords are happy to have just a female tenant, and besides he doesn't really need to know that you are seperating
the fact that you are has no bearing on your rental situation either
after you've completed the move out, then go and renew your lease with him

here's a link you should read up on
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Landlords_Tenants.cfm

Originally posted by kaput
Don't say anything, you're just creating unnecessary complications for yourself.
Thanks for the link.

My plan is to not say anything until the rent has been paid on time for a couple of months, so he realizes he has nothing to worry about.

Ven
12-22-2010, 12:07 PM
There is nothing to worry about. Keep paying and keep staying.