PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse Service Center/IDCSERVCO Scam

Mitsu3000gt
12-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Our company just got scammed by these guys, so I just wanted to post a heads up for everyone else.

Here is how the scam works:

They call, they know your name, your printer model number, and who your usual supplier is so it sounds legit.
They tell you that they are the company who supplies your supplier (Or similar), and that the price of the toner cartridge is going up soon so they would like to offer you one at the old (lower) price before the increase. That sounds good, so most people agree. They then charge you many times what the toner is worth (in our case $439 USD + shipping for a $80 cartridge). They do indeed send you the cartridge, but at a grossly inflated price and under completely false pretenses.

It's easy to fall for the scam because they know your name, printer number, the company you use, etc. A quick google search reveals they use all kinds of tactics, even claiming to be from the printer company (SHARP, CANON, etc.).

If you try to return the cartridge, you get the usual run around to try push you past their 30 day "return" policy, and they have ridiculous restocking fees, higher than the worth of the cartridge so it's not even worth trying to return it.

So just a heads up, if you get a call from "Warehouse Service Center" or "IDCSERVCO" trying to sell you toner or anything else, tell them to go fuck themselves and hang up immediately.

C_Dave45
12-20-2010, 12:21 PM
one of the oldest office supply scams around. I remember it first in the mid 80's.

Guillermo
12-20-2010, 01:12 PM
how do they get info on your printer, supplier, etc.?

Mitsu3000gt
12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
how do they get info on your printer, supplier, etc.?

That is a good question. I've alerted our actual supplier, so hopefully they can look for any security breaches in their customer database and also alert other customers.

That is the main reason the scam worked, they had all the same info our usual supplier did, so nobody really looked into it too much.