PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires during the summer?

SAiamNE
01-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Just bought a RX-7... It has farly new winter tires in the rear which are studded. If i removed the studs with some plyers or whatever, would there be any problem using these in the summer? I plan to start driving her in the spring.
I know it sounds kinda dumb but i might as well use them if there already on my car and in mint condition.

Thanks

1badPT
01-06-2004, 07:09 PM
If you use winters in the summer you'll wear through them really quickly. Winters are typically made of much softer compounds and the tread pattern might not be the best suited for summer driving (a lot of road noise and "walky" feel whenever you turn hard). Also, I wouldn't pull the studs out of the tires, but that's just me. If they are in mint condition, why not swap them off in the summer so you have a good set of winters for the winter?

tegdream
01-06-2004, 07:09 PM
man i wouldnt take the studs out yourself..i would get a tire shop to do it!

my advice would be to save your winters for winter and get some summers/all seasons for the rest....proabably on some different rims too, the marketpalce usually hassome good deals (shameless plug for the beyond.ca marketplace :D)

SAiamNE
01-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Ok, Thanks..
Stupied idea... haha..
Well if anyone wants to buy them.. I will sell them reasonably cheap.
Steal Radials 205/60R15...

fox
01-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by tegdream
man i wouldnt take the studs out yourself..i would get a tire shop to do it!

my advice would be to save your winters for winter and get some summers/all seasons for the rest....proabably on some different rims too, the marketpalce usually hassome good deals (shameless plug for the beyond.ca marketplace :D)

You can pull studs out yourself, i uses needle nose plyers. took me about 30 mins a tire while watching tv. You dont need no shop to do it for you :poosie:

GTS Jeff
01-06-2004, 09:54 PM
its cheaper for u to buy some shitty tires for summer use and preserve the winters rather than destroying the winters and having to buy new winters by next winter.