PDA

View Full Version : Pastry Chef

snoop101
12-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello boys and girls.

So I been thinking lately about changing my career to something I enjoy doing. Did anyone on the forum go to school at SAIT for baking (Pastry Chef). My long term goal was to always open my own cafe,German pub,restaurant. I think my biggest obstacle is going to be realizing that IT work pays a lot and being a pastry chef or chef in general does not pay as much when starting out. I do understand that and realize that Career is more important then money.

Ok so my questions are.....

Did going to SAIT make a difference on where you got hired?

Did it change your starting wage?

Did the teachers have a love for what they were teaching, or teaching because its a job?

Any other info would be great.

autosm
12-20-2010, 07:38 PM
http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/index.html?page=index_content.asp

Go this route, cost of school is less end result is the same.

snoop101
12-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks for that link.

Pacman
12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
My uncle did the course at SAIT 20 years ago. Things may have changed now, but at the time, graduates were held in high regard and respected by employers in the industry.

As you alluded, the initial starting pay is on the lower side when compared with other jobs that require post graduate schooling . He had a B.Comm degree and was working in HR at a bank, and ended up going back to continue his career there.

Baking is his passion and when he retires, he plans to open up a pastry shop.

adidas
12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
I think sait has the best culinary school in western canada or in canada.

But if you want to make coin, ur best bet would be to open a shop of ur own.

GOnSHO
12-21-2010, 02:08 PM
my sister took bakery at SAIT and started out at Safeway as a peon, she is now only 21, is the Manager of the bakery and has her RED SEAL and can pretty much go work ANYWHERE

snoop101
12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I think sait has the best culinary school in western canada or in canada.

But if you want to make coin, ur best bet would be to open a shop of ur own.

This is actually what I plan to do. Cafe bakery type place.

My biggest thing right now is that im 32 and working in IT. I love computers but pretty much all my IT jobs I had no say in anything, could not be creative, and pretty much had to do what some dumb ass who is to chicken shit to stick up for himself because he wants that special bonus at the end of the year told me to do. I look at cooking and baking (on the most part) is something creative and unique. I do understand that at the beginning your going t have to follow by their rules.

RecoilS14
12-22-2010, 10:40 AM
All the more power to you! you have an excellent fall back career that can keep you working while your going to school and starting your own shop.

TimG
12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
In Canada i think the Cordon Bleu is your best bet. Their only campus is in Ottawa.

http://www.cordonbleu.edu/index.cfm?fa=FrontEndMod.CampusHomePage&SetCampusID=3

i have a friend who went there after high school. :thumbsup:

calgarygts
12-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Do it, I just finished my first semester of a completely different degree and I'm the same age as you working IT for a large company. I've got the exact same view on it that you do (right down to the chicken shit's bonus....I wonder if we're at the same company). It's not for me and I'm doing something that will make me happier in the long run. I really believe there are a lot of unhappy people out there and if you can do something that is fun for you you'll be one of the lucky few.

Good luck!

snoop101
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
So I been looking around at baking forums which have industry people helping out future students. One thing I notice is that if you dont open up your own shop then you need to have a uniqueness to your baking. Which obviously makes sense. The only thing I would worry about is if Calgary has the places to do that or would you just have to get into a box store bakery where you have no creative free run. The only ones I could think of is a Hotel/resort in Banff, but I think it would be obvious they would want 5+ years.

I think the hardest thing will be for me to except a lot lower salary in the first couple of years. coming from years in the IT industry where I have established a decent salary.